• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Players performing above their usual level

Bijed

International Regular
One thing I particularly enjoy watching/reading about is when a cricketer who is normally pretty ordinary at something suddenly performs it very well indeed.

Examples would include this catch by Geraint Jones whose keeping was generally average and had been horrendous so far in that particular match:

Michael Clarke taking 6/9 and also his 3 wickets in an over against India would qualify, as would things like Gillespie's double ton (Agarkar's ton is similar in this regard)

To a lesser extent, as it doesn't include an individually stunning performance, series such as the one Giles had here

Basically, I thought it might be interesting if people posted links to videos/scorecards etc where you see a player and think 'Wow, never thought I'd see them do that'. I sure I'll find it interesting, even if no-one else does :)

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Phil Simmons in this ODI.

I believe his figures of 4/3 remain the most economic spell for any bowler completing his 10 overs. I can appreciate that Simmons was a useful part-timer when conditions favoured his gentle out-swingers, however those figures are just ridiculous.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Phil Simmons in this ODI.

I believe his figures of 4/3 remain the most economic spell for any bowler completing his 10 overs. I can appreciate that Simmons was a useful part-timer when conditions favoured his gentle out-swingers, however those figures are just ridiculous.

48 overs for 81... wow..

smash84

The Tiger King
this last ball six to Steve Waugh from Asif Mujtaba to tie the match was awesome

tbf Waugh threw down a terrible full toss but still, was an awesome start to Pakistan's World series (this being the second match IIRC) and then losing all the next 6 matches :p

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Mark Butcher at Leeds, 2001.

One of the greatest Test knocks of all time, by one of the most unremarkable batsman of the past two decades.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
this last ball six to Steve Waugh from Asif Mujtaba to tie the match was awesome

tbf Waugh threw down a terrible full toss but still, was an awesome start to Pakistan's World series (this being the second match IIRC) and then losing all the next 6 matches :p

Bill Lawry :wub: screaming at them to run, 'that's pathetic.." Vintage Bill.

Burgey

Mark Butcher at Leeds, 2001.

One of the greatest Test knocks of all time, by one of the most unremarkable batsman of the past two decades.
Came on here to post this.

Also Jeff Thomson in that partnership with Border at Melbourne in 1982-83.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Bichel was a very underrated bowler imo. Felt like he deserved to play tests more than Lee did.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Harbhajan Singh in that three match series against Australia - was a fine bowler outside of that, but that performance was epic.
IIRC there was series where Paul Reiffel topped the averages with the bat, just kept on getting runs when Australia needed it down the order.
Unfortunately more due to injury than anything, Dean Headley in Melbourne 1998.

morgieb

Tip Foster. I'm pretty sure his only century in Test cricket was that 287 on debut.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Wasim's 257*

He was a decent lower order hitter but for his test high score to be so much higher than so many batting legends it seems weird