• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The greatest batsman who averaged in the 40s

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I'll throw a couple in there: Ted Dexter, and Peter May. Were often mentioned by the writers and contemporaries of the time to be better players than the statistically superior Barrington.

If you're going to name Cullinan, then why not Kirsten?

Last edited:

Xuhaib

International Coach
Overall Top 7

Virender Sehwag
Bruce Mitchell
Rohan Kanhai
Neil Harvey
Martin Crowe
Frank Worrell
Adam Gilchrist +
how many keepers average 50+ in test cricket? find a keeper who averages 35-40 then it gets tricky.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
how many keepers average 50+ in test cricket? find a keeper who averages 35-40 then it gets tricky.
The only one I can think of is Andy Flower. I'm pretty sure Walcott's and Sangakkara's averages when keeping were under 50.

Slifer

International Captain
My own personal bias but I'm going with Kanhai. Not only did he average 40+ he did so home and away vs all other test teams. Good enough for me.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
AB and de Kock, despite AB not being full time. Though de Kock is just beginning. Damn Sanga and Walcott only averaged 40 keeping... their records are ridiculous when not.

CharlesLara

U19 12th Man
Ranatunga made Flem look like the conversion king, and he'd rank about the same as Fleming in terms of his countries top bats. Both would come in at about 8th or 9th for their respective countries.

I don't know anyone except maybe Fleming's biggest fan who would include him in the NZ all-time Test XI for example so unless you mean well outside the top 5, I don't know what you consider to be an ATG bat.
Post Crowe, and before Ross, I would say Fleming was regarded as NZ's premier bat of THOSE times. I remember when I first moved to NZ in 1998, Fleming just looked a class above his NZ peers. His conversion rate obviously is another story but he played in a notoriously weak lineup in bowler friendly conditions often. Also, add him being THE premier tactician of his time I think Fleming 's in there.

Although your point is still relevant, there was always a sense of "what if" or "not quite" with Flemings batting.

With regards to this thread, I generally only comment on players I have watched and tend to go for more personal favourites (which I think makes this thread for interesting, as there can be quite varied answers, whereas with ATG you kinda have to pick certain players cause its undeniable), so for me, Damien Martyn. Yes, Aussie had a stacked lineup with machines all around, but he kinda bucked that trend and seemed to have so time and his timing was >>>>>>>>>>>. Obviously cut from the same cloth as Mark Waugh, but I didn't really watch Waugh like I did Martyn (I'm born 1990). He also seemed to play important innings, I still remember that SA series when he was just sublime.

Sehwag is also someone I really loved watching bat, and when you look at his record its quite phenomenal to think that he opened the batting and played the way he did. I remember being one of the warm up matches in Melbourne (at Junction Oval if I remember correctly?) for the Super Series ODI's (LOL at the Super Series, it was actually incredible to see every top player in the world in the same city), and locals telling me about how Sehwags innings at the MCG was one of the ATG knocks seen there, high praise indeed.

Last edited:

Burgey

Martyn and Sehwag were very different players but who both had pretty minimal footwork.

Zinzan

Post Crowe, and before Ross, I would say Fleming was regarded as NZ's premier bat of THOSE times. I remember when I first moved to NZ in 1998, Fleming just looked a class above his NZ peers. His conversion rate obviously is another story but he played in a notoriously weak lineup in bowler friendly conditions often. Also, add him being THE premier tactician of his time I think Fleming 's in there.
Great tactician or not, Fleming doesn't make the ATG NZ Test XI.

Flametree

International 12th Man
Fair point on Cullinan - I was looking only at middle-order players. Since I also omitted Bruce Mitchell, SA openers were a definite blind spot.

As for England, since so few English middle-order players have averaged 50 (I make it Hammond, Barrington, Compton, Paynter and Root with 1000+ runs) then there are a lot to pick from. I chose Jackson over Dexter as the batsman-who-can-bowl, but you can make a good order with any of Ranji, Mead, Jardine, Leyland, Hendren, Dexter, May, Cowdrey, Gower, Thorpe, Pietersen.

Flametree

International 12th Man
Oops, was meant to be a reply to Vic Orthodox's

I'll throw a couple in there: Ted Dexter, and Peter May. Were often mentioned by the writers and contemporaries of the time to be better players than the statistically superior Barrington.

If you're going to name Cullinan, then why not Kirsten?

Burgey

Fair point on Cullinan - I was looking only at middle-order players. Since I also omitted Bruce Mitchell, SA openers were a definite blind spot.

As for England, since so few English middle-order players have averaged 50 (I make it Hammond, Barrington, Compton, Paynter and Root with 1000+ runs) then there are a lot to pick from. I chose Jackson over Dexter as the batsman-who-can-bowl, but you can make a good order with any of Ranji, Mead, Jardine, Leyland, Hendren, Dexter, May, Cowdrey, Gower, Thorpe, Pietersen.
Fear not, Root's average will drop below 50 by mid 2017 and not get above it again.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Fear not, Root's average will drop below 50 by mid 2017 and not get above it again.
Nah Root will stay 50+ his conversion rate is poor and will improve with age and experience so it might even stay 55+ during his peak.