• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Test cricket

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm not "claiming" anything, just quoting articles and ****

It's about as official as you can get tbh

Daemon

I'm going to take issue with the bolded as it's not the case. There isn't (yet) a rule that bans other cricket from taking place while the IPL is on.
I would love to live in a perfect world where everyone could say **** you to the IPL but sometimes it just isn't feasible.

Daemon

If the game is lost because it rained during the test - yes agree.

If the game is lost because it rained before the match or during hours outside of play, and then they can't dry the grass, I think it is mainly the fault of the ground/cricket admin. It is important to stress that the sun was out. Sure the scheduling wasn't great but dry the frickin' grass. They actually got lucky by it not being rained out, but they didn't have the facilities to take advantage of it.
True.

I initially was thinking that the blame should be squarely on whoever's doing the scheduling. If you have the tools to know that it's going to be raining loads at a ground that doesn't have great facilities somewhere around the days of a test match, don't ****ing schedule one there.

But of course the other way round holds true as well. The ground admin knew full well that a test match was coming during a rainy season and they were woefully unprepared.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I would love to live in a perfect world where everyone could say **** you to the IPL but sometimes it just isn't feasible.
How many of the West Indian side would have been unavailable for a Test series in May? Samuels aside am I not right in thinking that most of the West Indian T20 'superstars' don't play Test cricket?

Daemon

How many of the West Indian side would have been unavailable for a Test series in May? Samuels aside am I not right in thinking that most of the West Indian T20 'superstars' don't play Test cricket?
The series are scheduled well in advance though, and with the way things are going in their side, they probably couldn't tell you that in a years time most of their key players won't be affected by the IPL.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

Dont think the issue is with the Windies players availability. It is the Indian players who wont be available for test series in April coz of the IPL and hence this tour happening in August.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Small world you live in. Wonder if the Americans agree with that when they ask, "Wait, where the *** is Melbourne?"...
I lived there...I reckon it's got every right to call itself the sporting capital of the world. It almost earns it for the MCG alone. Throw in Etihad, AAMI, Sandbelt golf courses, Rod Laver, Flemington...that's your Mecca right there.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I lived there...I reckon it's got every right to call itself the sporting capital of the world. It almost earns it for the MCG alone. Throw in Etihad, AAMI, Sandbelt golf courses, Rod Laver, Flemington...that's your Mecca right there.
yeah can't think of another city in the world that comes close tbh. Dunno about those Murrican cities - easily on revenue and brand names but not sure on local ability to actually play sport from the grass roots up.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Indeed. Grand prix too.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
London: Lords, Oval, Wembley, Emirates, Stamford Bridge, White Hart Lane etc, Wimbledon, Twickenham, O2 Arena, Olympic Park. Only thing it lacks is a grand prix and a world class gold course.

Last edited:

Burgey

Most of those venues you listed are just club grounds tbf. Be like me listing Parra Stadium for Sydney or Windy Hill for Melbourne.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Was probably a stretch to include Stamford Bridge and White Hart Lane, rest are international sporting venues though.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
London and New York definitely have more of a claim in terms of history and probably revenue.

Think Melbourne has more diversity and more utility right through from grass roots level, if that makes sense.

I haven't been to London though so I'm talking out my arse.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
It's the main precinct that makes all the difference - MCG, three 15,000 indoor stadiums for tennis/basketball/cycling, and a 30,000 rectangular stadium all within walking distance of each other.

And Punt Road Oval.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Lol White Hart Lane, where the seats touch your knees.

We're talking world class stadiums here Cabinet ffs

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
For all Eddie McGuire's talk about a new ground in the area, Jono, it really is Punt Road Oval where it should/could be occurring. Would have to take away a fair bit of car parking space from MCG.

Also, made my first venture into the Royal last week, for the record.