• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England Test Selection Thread - Winter 2016

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Bayliss doesn't watch CC, he talks about that all the time. How could Bell being recalled be any reflection on CC?
I only meant the lack of viable alternatives demanding consideration through sheer weight of runs.

Not even close, afaics. Whereas last year Bayliss didn't need to be watching the CC to be aware that Bairstow's form was too good to be ignored, however moderate his previous test performances had been.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Whereas the performances of the likes of Vince and Hales have been a real glowing endorsement haven't they?
Well quite. I think you're agreeing with me, but I'm not entirely sure?
For Bell to be in the frame again after a thoroughly moderate season in the CC and given his rotten test record from December 2013 does raise the awkward question why no-one better is being produced by our domestic game, doesn't it?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
The thought of Bell getting picked is ****ing depressing.

On the one hand, it's not every side that has a guy on the bench with 7,000+ Test runs under his belt, so that's a positive. But when you've got a pish record in India, were rubbish for 2 years before being dropped from the Test side, and have been pretty underwhelming in County Cricket (590 runs @ 36, and he's striking at 46. For reference, well known slogger Jonathan Trott is striking at 60 in First Class cricket for Warwickshire), it's ****ing depressing that he's being talked of as an option.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Hameed is quite capable of becoming the best opening batsman England has ever had
That's a massive call. WG, Hobbs, Sutcliffe, Hutton, Boycott.

If there's one thing English cricket has done well, it's produce great openers.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Over the last few years England's selectors have had some inconsistent selection policies when it comes to top-order bats. A few have been dropped when they probably shouldn't have (eg. Carberry) and then they stick with some longer than they should (eg. Alex Hales)

it reminds me of Australia selecting spinners post Warne. They gave everyone a game or 2 then dropped them, then decided they needed to stick with them for a bit longer so randomly the next one they picked they just kept forever (Lyon)

FBU

International Debutant
Well the Bangladesh tour is going ahead. Cook's wife is having a 2nd child at that time and he might miss one or both Tests. Then some players might decide not to go to Bangladesh.

Guardian
It is understood any such withdrawal would not in itself be held against a player in terms of future selection. However vacating a spot would carry the risk of seeing a replacement make it their own and mean going into the two-month tour of India that follows immediately afterwards without match practice, given their are no warm-up fixtures currently scheduled prior to the five-match Test series that begins on 9 November.

91Jmay

International Coach
Rooty getting a run at captain wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, and given Cook's record in Asia not to worried about a lack of warm ups for him. However I do want him to get that record.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Wonder if the injuries to Broad and Anderson will be used as an excuse to see them miss the Bangladesh leg of the winter tours?

Could still go in with Woakes, Wood, Finn and Stokes in the squad which isn't too shabby.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Certainly don't want too many missing, could be a tough series.
All depends if Fizzy is fit, without we'll win easy, with it could be interesting. Broad could probably do with a rest though, he looks jaded.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
All depends if Fizzy is fit, without we'll win easy
I'm not so sure about that. If he's not playing Bangladesh have little to no chance of winning, but I don't think you can rule out 0-0. The pitches can be real roads in Bangladesh and their batsmen have become quite good at cashing in on them lately.

Niall

International Coach
I'm not so sure about that. If he's not playing Bangladesh have little to no chance of winning, but I don't think you can rule out 0-0. The pitches can be real roads in Bangladesh and their batsmen have become quite good at cashing in on them lately.
Wasn't he ruled out for six months recently? If they were to rush him back and it would be very dangerous it will be for the limited over series.

I think Bangladesh will be content to roll out two roads and settle for 0-0 which is a shame as while England are rightful favourites, they are not exactly unbeatable in Asia.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Wasn't he ruled out for six months recently? If they were to rush him back and it would be very dangerous it will be for the limited over series.
Yeah I'm really not sure how long he's out for at all. I heard he was injured and didn't really process the information in any more depth than that. :laugh:

England definitely need to be careful when they think about resting bowlers though. Serious risk of 0-0 if they don't go in full strength.