• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

I've had enough, Virat Kohli.......

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I dunno y being a prick n being genuinely knowledgeable of the game and possessing tactical acumen have to be mutually exclusive. I still get the feeling he is a **** but have always felt he was tactically pretty good too. Remembering reading about the 99 Barbados test when it happened and how McGrath got a fifer once he took Ponting's advice and started attacking the stumps with his bowling. He was neither Captain or vice captain at that point too.
I've read nothing but positive things about Ponting from other players, especially from guys just starting out.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Nah, even when the outside world was calling for Ponting's head (2009-2011), the vast majority of players in the Aus side would still walk through walls for him.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
He has been excellent in the small amount I have seen him do. Wish we got him over here instead of Warne. Adds a very good modern captains view to it all too and doesn't just slag other captains off but tries to tell you why they may have done what they did.
Exactly, instead of preaching what should be done, he tries to explain why it's happening.

Ten times better than Botham, Chappell or Warne keep on bringing up the same point over and over how they'd like an extra slip.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I assumed Cabinet was being sarcastic.
I wasn't ftr.

Edit: Should probably clarify that I probably don't instantly change my mind that much. If I have a long argument with someone who actually makes intelligent points it does tend to effect my long term thinking on the matter though.

Last edited:

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I can't think of another player ever that I once so despised and now admire so much.

Ponting is an excellent cricket pundit and I'd love to see him get involved in test cricket in some way.........but for the love of god not with Ch 9.

And I changed my mind on him post retirement too, I think he carried himself admirably at the end of his career. He handled the crap that came his way in England in 2009 with real grace, and really apart from the outburst at the MCG in 2010 I can't think of him putting a foot wrong in his last few years.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I dunno y being a prick n being genuinely knowledgeable of the game and possessing tactical acumen have to be mutually exclusive. I still get the feeling he is a **** but have always felt he was tactically pretty good too. Remembering reading about the 99 Barbados test when it happened and how McGrath got a fifer once he took Ponting's advice and started attacking the stumps with his bowling. He was neither Captain or vice captain at that point too.
Do you remember what ponting did when Warner was going at Kohli when he was on 99 before he made his first ever ton in Adelaide 2012? The way he separated Warner from Kohli and told both those hot heads to chill the **** out spoke of a mature man compared to his playing days.

It's not punter being tactical or smart that makes me say he's not a **** anymore. It's his behaviour since 2011 or so.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Do you remember what ponting did when Warner was going at Kohli when he was on 99 before he made his first ever ton in Adelaide 2012? The way he separated Warner from Kohli and told both those hot heads to chill the **** out spoke of a mature man compared to his playing days.

It's not punter being tactical or smart that makes me say he's not a **** anymore. It's his behaviour since 2011 or so.

Fair enough, but your earlier post gave me the impression that you are respecting him for his tactical nous now which felt weird coz he always seemed a good tactician as far as cricket is concerned. I think the template of 3 seamers bowling cutters with catchers in front of the wicket and denying boundaries to the SC batsman was his too. I am not saying it is the greatest tactical thing ever but it did work for that series. Of course, it failed miserably when he tried it again in 2008.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Nah, even when the outside world was calling for Ponting's head (2009-2011), the vast majority of players in the Aus side would still walk through walls for him.
If you look at Shane Watson, his best form in Test cricket came between 2009 and 2011, I wonder how much of that is down to having a captain who backed him and believed in him and how much is just sort of natural coincidence.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If you look at Shane Watson, his best form in Test cricket came between 2009 and 2011, I wonder how much of that is down to having a captain who backed him and believed in him and how much is just sort of natural coincidence.
100% natural coincidence

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Exactly, instead of preaching what should be done, he tries to explain why it's happening.

Ten times better than Botham, Chappell or Warne keep on bringing up the same point over and over how they'd like an extra slip.
It's also why I enjoyed Strauss in the box. Yes he was a bit dull but it was good to have the perspective of someone who was relatively fresh from leading a Test side.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
100% natural coincidence
Nup. Watson is on record saying how much Ponting's faith in him meant to him. And Ponting realised Watson thrived on feeling important and made him an opener, which is when he batted as well as he could.

When Clarke became captain, he batted Watson all over the shop and Watson's insecurities took over.

TheJediBrah

Nup. Watson is on record saying how much Ponting's faith in him meant to him. And Ponting realised Watson thrived on feeling important and made him an opener, which is when he batted as well as he could.

When Clarke became captain, he batted Watson all over the shop and Watson's insecurities took over.
Oh yeah then it must be true

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Yeah played a big role I reckon. They got on quite well too, had a really good rapport.

Even the fact that he was such a good short form player and had the certainty of opening the batting for so long.

Daemon

Jeff Thomson had a similar action to Bumrah?

Ishant Sharma is a swing bowler? That too a good one?

But other than those glaring mistakes he's right about everything else #allformatsmatter

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
He didn't mention a format really. Across all 3 formats Kohli is the best imo, even though that's an inexact science.

My favourite bit is him saying "no doubt" just to make Howsie wahhh more

Zinzan

I love this sentence Binger ""No doubt he's probably the world's best batsman."