• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

battle of the australian batting capitulations (2010s)

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Think the 60 all out wins because it literally lost them the Ashes. The 47 was hilarious but they got what was a good 1-1 draw in the series.

LegionOfBrad

International Debutant
60ao with always have a special place in my heart from seemingly the entire internet laughing at the Aussies to seeing people with the scorecard on t shirts still to this day and the shear anger of the Aussie press that it was the big fat cheat Broad who did it.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
47ao did waste probably the greatest innings I've ever seen.

The 60 was just this perfect storm, Broad was on it, just about every ball that was there to be nicked was nicked, and it seemed like every ball that was in the same postcode as a fielder got caught, the Stokes catch exemplifies this perfectly.

The 98 was special because of the occasion and the fact that England had been building up to it all series, one or more of Watson, Hussey and Haddin had at least dragged Australia to a respectable innings for most of the series.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
60ao is my number 1 because it was just so meme worthy. I still remember that tweet that had the whole innings in it.

burr

State Vice-Captain
I actually think Boxing Day 2010 was worse in a way because it wasn't really an extreme collapse where one team just gets on a roll in helpful conditions, Melbourne was just consistently inept batting. They even got a rain break and still batted terribly.
2010-11 Ashes was just an absolute embarrassment. It's started a decade of ****e though so probably appropriate.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I actually think Boxing Day 2010 was worse in a way because it wasn't really an extreme collapse where one team just gets on a roll in helpful conditions, Melbourne was just consistently inept batting. They even got a rain break and still batted terribly.
Fair call. At least the 47/60 were on greentops, your batting was good enough to score 500+ on it.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
The boxing day one was so soul crushing.

I remember I went down to Melbourne with some mates and the whole test was just an absolute embarrassment and completely ruined the trip.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I know we've all discussed this over and over but, wtf goes through a batsman's head to do that at 18-6

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Fair call. At least the 47/60 were on greentops, your batting was good enough to score 500+ on it.
tbf that MCG wicket was a greentop and it was an overcast morning too (Strauss won the toss and stuck the Aussies in)......IIRC the sun came out for the first time as Strauss and Cook walked out to bat and they enjoyed blazing sunshine for the rest of the day.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
tbf that MCG wicket was a greentop and it was an overcast morning too (Strauss won the toss and stuck the Aussies in)......IIRC the sun came out for the first time as Strauss and Cook walked out to bat and they enjoyed blazing sunshine for the rest of the day.
Fair enough. I was down the coast at my cousins beach house who aren't big cricket fans when that happened so unlike the others I missed most of that whole collapse :p

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I went to day 2 and 3 and you wont believe how spewing I was to have missed day 1!!!

But what was even more sickening for me was it was obvious we were going to retain the Ashes on day 4 and I phoned my missus and begged her to let me stay in Melbourne another night (was even going to sleep in my car) but I had some work I had to get back for and there was no way of getting out of it. Managed to catch the glorious end on TV and I'm not ashamed to say I cried..........one of my biggest regrets ever not being there to see it. It was one massive party at the MCG that day!!