• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand tour of Zimbabwe and South Africa 2016

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Lol, Obviously I'd accept that. I should've have made it a qualifier that he needs to bat 4 innings in the series, not that it would have made a difference had there been a 2nd innings in Durban.
Tell ya what: as a sporting bloke I'll give you gup's average in SA after 6 innings (11). So just 94 to go.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Remind me again, why was Wagner left out of the side for most of 2015?

NZ in South Africa, yeesh. Ross should hang his head in shame for getting run out like that (saw only the short highlights, so obviously not taking into account the pressure built up there). Guptill is Mohd. Hafeez with slip catching ability. Feel for Latham, this tour is a bit of a step up from what he's used to (bowling and pitches) so really hope he signs off with a good score. Kane and Watling the main hopes for any chance of not following on.

Great to see Steyn and Vern back to something near their best, wish it hadn't been this soon obviously.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Hurricane don't forget I bet you Ross wouldn't get a 100 either lol
LOL. I was just thinking about that. I reckon I should get a "push" on to another bet yet to be named for the duration of this test. It was a bit rough on him that the last test was rained out spoiling 50% of his chances.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
LOL. I was just thinking about that. I reckon I should get a "push" on to another bet yet to be named for the duration of this test. It was a bit rough on him that the last test was rained out spoiling 50% of his chances.
You two should make it 100 runs total in this match IMO. :p

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hmmm... such is cricket though. Show me the bet you had in mind and I'll consider. Since I'm an absolute shoe-in to win this current one it better be worth my while.

I'm being so anal about this because you literally have an Overrated XI in your sig so it's so tempting and easy to decide which players I'd force you to have in your avatar pic.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Also, I know it's been said but very impressed with how well South Africa left the ball. Looked like a lot of the seam movement on this wicket is not on a good length hitting the stumps, but rather from a little shorter and wider than that. So if you're Guptill and trying to defend away from your body or hit those balls then you have no hope, but if you limit your defense to balls that will hit the stumps like FDP then you may be beaten past the outside edge numerous times but it doesn't matter.

Would have helped if NZ had tested the right lines and lengths more frequently of course. 1/200+ really is a shocking return for Southee and Boult on a pitch that had seam movement and swung consistently. Yeah Boult from what I saw was the more accurate of the two, did threaten and yes there was some genuinely poor luck, but two decent seam bowlers on that wicket should not be relying so heavily on the old-ball bang-it-in-merchant to take the wickets. Wagner was excellent, and particularly amazing after recent years that he not only took the wickets but also had the lowest ER of the bowlers.

Sounds like SA always expected the pitch to quicken up after the first day, which makes the decision to bowl first look ugly. KW will live and learn I'm sure.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Remind me again, why was Wagner left out of the side for most of 2015?

NZ in South Africa, yeesh. Ross should hang his head in shame for getting run out like that (saw only the short highlights, so obviously not taking into account the pressure built up there). Guptill is Mohd. Hafeez with slip catching ability. Feel for Latham, this tour is a bit of a step up from what he's used to (bowling and pitches) so really hope he signs off with a good score. Kane and Watling the main hopes for any chance of not following on.
I'm sure you'll rememer it, but Wagner was bowling pretty crap and Tim and Trent were bowling well. Plus, Henry was looking likely.

re: Latham; his record is garbage in 3rd and 4th innings (another point towards my poor fitness theory), so it's unlikely he'll get runs second go around.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Wait, just because Wagner has bowled brilliantly this year doesn't mean he didn't have an iffy period in 2014/2015.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Wait, just because Wagner has bowled brilliantly this year doesn't mean he didn't have an iffy period in 2014/2015.
It was still very harsh to drop him.

Related, if Southee doesn't deliver the goods in the second innings, should his place seriously start coming into question now? He's been utterly toothless for ages now. No idea who can replace him though since I have no idea how Henry and co are doing domestically.

_Ed_

Wagner's test average (29.24) is now the lowest of any of our seamers - Boult 29.42, Southee 32.93 and Bracewell 39.11.

Zinzan

Wagner's been pretty damn good since India came in early 2014 IIRC, but it was just assumed he's only do well against poor quality opposition, which is why he missed tests vs. England and Australia (until the last where he took 6 wickets).

The last 3 years he's taken 69 wickets @ 24...by far NZ's best bowler.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
It was still very harsh to drop him.

Related, if Southee doesn't deliver the goods in the second innings, should his place seriously start coming into question now? He's been utterly toothless for ages now. No idea who can replace him though since I have no idea how Henry and co are doing domestically.
Not right now no, though a poor home summer and I suppose it could start to go that way.

Though even if you thought of dropping Southee, you would instead drop Bracewell and pick Henry to take the new ball with Southee being the third seamer (and Wagner the other seamer). Even when not bowling well Southee does everything Bracewell does with the new or old ball, but better.

On that note, it's very easy to say some other rando not picked would have made a difference but I think this was a good pitch for Henry. Instead we got Bracewell, who provided very little (other than a good catch) as per usual.

Last edited: