• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand tour of Zimbabwe and South Africa 2016

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I swear NZ cricket tours of South Africa are cursed. Has there ever been one that wasn't terrible in one way or another? Was it because we sent troops to the Boer War? It was, wasn't it.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Went to bed after Guptills dismissal. What was up with Latham? And a run out? wtf??

This is the perfect time for spud Nicholls to prove h8ers wrong and produce a stunning hundred against the run of play and announce himself as a proper contender for the middle order spot long term.

Too bad he'll get out after a couple of fortuitous shovelled boundaries.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Don't think I'm exaggerating, or being bitter and reactionary, to say that Richard Illingworth has proven himself entirely unfit to be a third umpire with that Latham decision. Hearing about it first I assumed it would be a tiny gnat's fart of a blip on snicko like the Wagner vs Bavuma one earlier, which I was not unhappy to see given not out. No, it wasn't even that. How a third umpire with all the benefit of video technology and time can make that decision... I am at a loss.

Video: Black Caps in strife after three wicket burst maintains South Africa's control | Stuff.co.nz

NZTailender

Sometimes when I'm looking through the stats of NZ players from before I was born and wonder how they got such a long gig averaging high 20s or low 30s, like Burgess, Dowling, Edgar, Jeff Crowe, Hastings, Young (though I did see a bit of him). Then I look at Guptill and it all makes sense.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Not to let the umpiring decision distract from the fact we are being soundly pummeled here, most likely continuing redress for the desecration of an ancient cemetery when NZ troops played a game of cricket there during the Boer war.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Went to bed after Guptills dismissal. What was up with Latham? And a run out? wtf??

This is the perfect time for spud Nicholls to prove h8ers wrong and produce a stunning hundred against the run of play and announce himself as a proper contender for the middle order spot long term.

Too bad he'll get out after a couple of fortuitous shovelled boundaries.
haha, though I don't entirely get this, was VD a big problem in the Boer war like in WW1?
Australians had a big problem reportedly so it was probably rampant. More or less just a throwaway remark about amorous soldiers though.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
It's all going a bit Moeen Ali on him. Should just bat at 6, though can appreciate they want to put Watling's experience in between him and the other new guy.
When Santner performs even 20% of what Moeen has done in Tests then maybe you can use that in a negative way.
I was referring to the potentially confusing and frequently-changing role assigned to Moeen, nothing about Santner's actual performances in comparison. Moeen has done exceptionally well considering the role changes. If Santner was asked to open on the upcoming tour of India then they would have full Moeened him.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The last time some spud did this for NZ in South Africa, it didn't really work out too well for him.

NZTailender

I was referring to the potentially confusing and frequently-changing role assigned to Moeen, nothing about Santner's actual performances in comparison. Moeen has done exceptionally well considering the role changes. If Santner was asked to open on the upcoming tour of India then they would have full Moeened him.
Full Bracewell'd* tbh

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It's all going a bit Moeen Ali on him. Should just bat at 6, though can appreciate they want to put Watling's experience in between him and the other new guy.
It's been Moeen Ali for him ever since he was selected. He's not the best allrounder available and he's probably not quite the best spinner available either but he's pretty close on both counts and NZ are really week on the latter so he kills two birds with one stone. NZ will probably be at their best when he doesn't have to contribute much; he's very much the last throw of the dice for the team in both disciplines, and I don't think he's done enough to deserve otherwise.

I completely disagree with the calls for him to bat above Watling. If anything Watling should be batting slightly higher rather than slightly lower; this batting lineup isn't strong enough to have the luxury of him walking out at seven.

Last edited:

CM Punk

State Vice-Captain
SA will probably finish the match off tomorrow or first session on day 4.

Our batting and bowling isn't good enough to compete against top sides.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
It's been Moeen Ali for him ever since he was selected. He's not the best allrounder available and he's probably not quite the best spinner available either but he's pretty close on both counts and NZ are really week on the latter so he kills two birds with one stone. NZ will probably be at their best when he doesn't have to contribute much; he's very much the last throw of the dice for the team in both disciplines, and I don't think he's done enough to deserve otherwise.

I completely disagree with the calls for him to bat above Watling. If anything Watling should be batting slightly higher rather than slightly lower; this batting lineup isn't strong enough to have the luxury of him walking out at seven.
Hrmm yeah, considering the non-established number 5 and our terrible tail, it does make sense for Watling to bat at 6 above Santner. Ideally though, if we had an experienced number 5 along with Williamson-Taylor at 3-4, and if we had a competent number 8 (Mark Craig) and a not-terrible number 9 (no contenders) to hang around with Watling, I would prefer the talented and attacking new guy to slot in at 6. It's a minor point though and not going to have a huge impact either way.

I do like Santner's batting - although it was brief he played like a number 6 should in Australia, seemed confident and played his shots. Although, I felt similarly about Neesham's batting when he first debuted and we know how that's gone since then. Santner doesn't have the obvious weakness to anything 140+ that Jimmy does, so that's a start.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I have to confess, he only faced 15 deliveries but Nicholl's probably looked as much at ease as any other batsmen in this match in that very short time. Was leaving well & playing the ball really late. I don't want to curse him but that was actually really promising, albeit a very short stay.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Want to put your avatar where your mouth is? I say Guptill will score >120 runs in the series, which is hardly a big statement, other than that he'll be around his usual average of 30.
Yep, I'm in. Guptill to make 120. Winner gets to choose loser's avatar for 1 month.
120? Yeah I think this might have been an even bet at just 20
For shame the both of you at this weak avatar bet. Guptill on 15 runs with one innings to play and it would be a brave man to bet on him edging those five runs. Frankly if he gets 20 or under for the series I think I should choose avatars for both of you instead.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
For shame the both of you at this weak avatar bet. Guptill on 15 runs with one innings to play and it would be a brave man to bet on him edging those five runs. Frankly if he gets 20 or under for the series I think I should choose avatars for both of you instead.
Lol, Obviously I'd accept that. I should've have made it a qualifier that he needs to bat 4 innings in the series, not that it would have made a difference had there been a 2nd innings in Durban.