cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: The Do's and Dont's of watching a Test live at the ground

The Do's and Dont's of watching a Test live at the ground

Probably going to be attending the 1st day of the Old Trafford Test later this summer. Really excited about this as I have never had the opportunity to watch Tests live at the ground before. Any tips or things I should be aware of? Few questions that come to mind:

Do people bring rain coats/umbrellas if it rains, or are they supplied at the ground?
    Any rules or regulations regarding cameras?
    How expensive is food at the ground? Are you allowed to bring your own from home? And drinks?
    Are you allowed to move to other stands if you don't have a ticket for that stand? i.e. Can you move next to the stairs players use when going from the dressing rooms to ground?
    If the stand is rather empty, can you move to better seats closer to the boundary line?
    Can you use your smart phone to listen to TMS at the ground? Or do you have to buy one of those ear pieces? Are they expensive? Do they work for both Sky and TMS or do you have to buy separate pieces for each?

Really would appreciate any help or advice given

Request Your Custom Title Now! Howe_zat's Avatar
    I've not been to a Test at OT but most of these are the same answer for every Test I've been to.

Do people bring rain coats/umbrellas if it rains, or are they supplied at the ground?
    Bring your own.

Not that I know of. I think you would probably be told by someone to stop if you were filming for a long time. There are plenty of unwatchable phone clips on YouTube I guess.

How expensive is food at the ground? Are you allowed to bring your own from home? And drinks?
    Not more expensive than other sports. You can bring your own but can't bring alcohol in, that's just Lord's. Your bag will be searched.

Are you allowed to move to other stands if you don't have a ticket for that stand? i.e. Can you move next to the stairs players use when going from the dressing rooms to ground?
    If the stand is rather empty, can you move to better seats closer to the boundary line?
    I've gotten away with this at county games but not Test matches. You will probably be able to walk all the way around the outside of the ground, so if it's empty because of long rain breaks or 5th day syndrome I guess you could sit where you like, until someone turns up with that ticket.

Can you use your smart phone to listen to TMS at the ground? Or do you have to buy one of those ear pieces? Are they expensive? Do they work for both Sky and TMS or do you have to buy separate pieces for each?
    You can listen to your headphones. I find the lag is a bit offputting though, the earpieces are faster.
    Grumpy likes this.
    We are lost
    We can never go home

What HZ said.

IIRC, I have been able to bring my own beverages to the Oval once. Not sure I was allowed to do so. At Lord's it's fine, due to the picknick tradition. Exact info should be found on the tickets or website.

As for commentary: you can bring your own radio. Sounds a bit old fashioned, but it does the trick.
    Grumpy likes this.
    Madness. Exhilarating. Magical. Netherlands have crossed the line in an unbelievable 13.5 overs.
    It's like watching a Gayle from each end. And when one Gayle gets out.. Another Gayle comes in...

International Coach TheJediBrah's Avatar
    If you need to buy food, go ~10-15 minutes before the break. You may miss some cricket but otherwise you'll be stuck with everyone else and be waiting forever for food.

Same goes for toilets.
    Grumpy likes this.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Just make sure you stand to applaud when batsmen get to centuries
    Furball and NZTailender like this.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Hall of Fame Member fredfertang's Avatar
    If you're going to Old Trafford don't do anything that could be interpreted as a rain dance - Jupiter Pluvius can be very obliging in Lancashire
    Grumpy likes this.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Zinzan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    Probably going to be attending the 1st day of the Old Trafford Test later this summer. Really excited about this as I have never had the opportunity to watch Tests live at the ground before. Any tips or things I should be aware of? Few questions that come to mind:

This is rather naive, but cute at the same time

Imagining a venue having 10,000 coats and umbrellas ready just in case....

Request Your Custom Title Now! Zinzan's Avatar
    Yup, no upskirting
    vogue, harsh.ag, Grumpy and 2 others like this.

International Vice-Captain vogue's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinzan View Post
    Yup, no upskirting
    And once the storm is over you won’t remember how you made it through,how you managed to survive. You won’t even be sure,in fact,whether the storm is really over. But one thing is certain. When you come out of the storm you won’t be the same person who walked in. Haruki Murakami .

2011 and 2015 champ - find me in the Platinum Lounge -
    Beer snakes are to be encouraged

Quote Originally Posted by Zinzan View Post
    Yup, no upskirting
    downblousing acceptable though
    harsh.ag, Grumpy and Daemon like this.

Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    cricket_flash | Video | Break.com

International Vice-Captain vogue's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    Is that actually a word in common usage???

Old Trafford

It is a very good idea to bring a coracle. If it is raining but has yet to flood, you can crouch under it. If it has already flooded, it will help you get home.

I would suggest also packing distress flares but I'm not sure whether incendiary devices are now permissible in this era of insane health and safety regulation.
    Magrat Garlick likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    It is a very good idea to bring a coracle. If it is raining but has yet to flood, you can crouch under it. If it has already flooded, it will help you get home.

I would suggest also packing distress flares but I'm not sure whether incendiary devices are now permissible in this era of insane health and safety regulation.
    Grumpy, ignore Mr Z on this as it is a subject on which he has always been prone to exaggerate - a decent pair of galoshes and a sou'wester would probably be a prudent investment though

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information