• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Name an overrated and an underrated cricketer

SkyBlue

U19 Debutant
Overrated : Rohit Sharma(vastly overrated)

Underrated : Kane Williamson(barring this forum ofcourse)

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Current NZ players: Fairly Obvious...

Overrated - Tim - 'he always bowls without luck'-Southee

Underrated - Neil Wagner

Kirkut

International Regular
Underrated : Shivnarine Chanderpaul. Bloke's played 164 tests, made nearly 12000 runs at an average of 51.37 and is treated like a ghost in fandom arena.

So essentially right up there with Sachin stats wise(my choice for overrated, which you abstained from) yet you would not find one person who'd wouldn't laugh at you if you suggested Chanderpaul was on Sachin's level, despite both having faced the tough '90s attacks(though I guess he avoided Ambrose and Walsh)
Stats may not be the only parameter to judge a player, but you cannot ignore it completely either. Sure Chanderpaul was not a genius but he was definitely top quality. Most who know Chanderpaul, remember him for his weird batting stance (which is not a bad reason to be remembered for) but you will rarely hear anyone say "I'm a Chanderpaul fan".

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
This thread is almost as good as my "Which countries have overrated players?" thread.

Overrated: Steve Smith
Underrated: Hashim Amla

doesitmatter

U19 Cricketer
Overrated : Barry Richards (4 tests come on) , Dennis Lillee (Placid pitches can he?), ABDV(but in Test he looks normal) , Warne (great against English and SA so what), Grace(for what?),
Underrated : Dravid, Hadlee , Saqlain, Damien Martyn, Border, Saeed Anwar

Last edited:

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
If anything, Gul who used to be a gun T20 bowler ended up overrating Gul the Test bowler who was quite ordinary. People saw his T20 or ODI credentials and started rating him highly overall.

Shady Slim

International Coach
vernon philander is overrated by his stats

i feel the overrating by his stats though means people underrate him and swing too far the other way

Shady Slim

International Coach
Not Really. His starts are a reflection of his performance.
don't get me wrong because he's one of my favourite cricketers

but if you look at his career you'll see a scenario where average isn't the right measure considering he's gone through some exceedingly mediocre spells and others in which he was the best bowler in the world