• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Martin Crowe passes away

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Dreadfully young age to pass away. And yes, he was of course a wonderful cricketer. I, for one, have welcomed his comments on the game in recent times.

Thoughts are with his family and friends, who have lost him far too soon.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Years ago, I played club cricket with his brother and Martin turned up to one of our practices.

It was pissing down on the day concerned but he must have spent at least an our coaching juniors in the rain on a ****** artificial turf net

Just a lovely guy

RIP

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I sometimes listen to Adrian Durham's show when driving home (yeah, I know, sue me, but hey ho). Durham himself wasn't on air tonight but Darren Gough gave a glowing tribute to Crowe. Said his ODI debut was opposite him, that Crowe wished him luck before the game, congratulated Goughy for getting him out (his first ODI wicket) and then signed the match ball for him unprompted afterwards.

I know people often overly eulogise the recently departed but it fits with everything you hear about Crowe. Great stuff and a huge loss.

Dead Meat

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
"58.46 Crowe's average in Tests between 1985 and 1991 - the best for any batsman with at least 2500 runs in the period. Crowe made 3391 runs in 66 innings in those six years. His 12 centuries in that period also were the most by any batsman, bettering Allan Border, Graham Gooch and Richie Richardson who made 11 centuries each. Crowe's average never reached 30 till his 21st Test match and the average in his last seven Tests was less than 20 as well. He averaged 56.20 in those 50 Tests between his 20th and 71st Test, and made 16 centuries."

Some pretty amazing stats there.. Also love the expression “dismissing the ball from his presence” aspect to his batting from Spiro Zavos's tribute.

Martin Crowe: The best Test batsman between 1985 and 1991 | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

Last edited:

harsh.ag

This is the kind of passing that hits you harder as time goes by. Will miss you terribly, Martin.

HeathDavisSpeed

Australia-NZ Cricket Max friendly fundraiser for Cancer research to happen please.
This is a great idea. I've trawled the interwebs, but can't see that there's anything going on this. What would the best approach be to get something like this going? A petition on change.org? I do know a couple of people at New Zealand Cricket - one I know quite well, the other less so but if we could get something up and running, I'd be happy to give them a buzz and see if we can get a bite.

Athlai

Not Terrible
This is a great idea. I've trawled the interwebs, but can't see that there's anything going on this. What would the best approach be to get something like this going? A petition on change.org? I do know a couple of people at New Zealand Cricket - one I know quite well, the other less so but if we could get something up and running, I'd be happy to give them a buzz and see if we can get a bite.
Sounds like a good start, see if we can get any momentum or support for something like this.