• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sehwag retires

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well it had to come some day. And what a sad day it is. Massive shame that so many of our golden generation didn't get proper farewells :(

SehWAG

smash84

The Tiger King
Thanks for the memories.

Should have called a day earlier perhaps but when on song was such a legend

OverratedSanity

Most entertaining cricketer ever, really. Not even necessarily just when he's batting either. One of my favourite Sehwag moments was vs SA in a match where India were running out of time to try and force a win and Amla hit a shot towards the boundary, and Sehwag just picked the ball up and threw it over the rope to keep him off strike :laugh:

Last edited:

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Saw his 195 at Melbourne, bah gawd he was imperious when on song. Wish him well.

Chrish

International Debutant
A juggernaut in Asian conditions.. By far the best player of spin I have seen along with Lara.

Thanks for the fond memories 8-)

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Being the great FTB of the 2000s era is his legacy - although his 319 vs S Africa in 2008 is one of my top 5 favorite innings.

For the inevitable cavalry of of Sehwag supports/Indian fans that may want to attack this post - its not necessary, just let it ride..

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Always seemed an incredibly lucky batsman, so much so that I can't help wondering if perhaps he wasn't simply very good - great shame his luck only held in the Southern Hemisphere though

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Was nonsense good around 2009/10.

Mentioned the other week about an innings he played vs Sri Lanka, was absolutely class against spin. Treated them with the disdain they deserved.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Being the great FTB of the 2000s era is his legacy - although his 319 vs S Africa in 2008 is one of my top 5 favorite innings.

For the inevitable cavalry of of Sehwag supports/Indian fans that may want to attack this post - its not necessary, just let it ride..
Your posts aren't necessary.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Was nonsense good around 2009/10.

Mentioned the other week about an innings he played vs Sri Lanka, was absolutely class against spin. Treated them with the disdain they deserved.
Still can't seem to recall this innings where India were apparently 30 for 4 and Sehwag gunned it as you mentioned.

Anyways he hasn't formally announced his retirement as far as I know? Or are we just making this thread early because we know he will soon enough anyways?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Still can't seem to recall this innings where India were apparently 30 for 4 and Sehwag gunned it as you mentioned.

Anyways he hasn't formally announced his retirement as far as I know? Or are we just making this thread early because we know he will soon enough anyways?
30 odd for 3 or 4. IIRC Welegedera took a few then he just battered Mendis

OK my memory's failed me on this one. Dravid rescued India with a massive ton in the 1st Test, the innings where he smashed Mendis must've been later that series.

edit 2: yeah 2nd Test is the innings I'm talking about.

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

Was great to watch when in full flow. Also great comedy value when not and none more so than at Edgbaston in 2011.

Hard to believe that a player can score 7 tons in 12 games then follow that with 1 in 22 to end his career. Guess he was never orthodox though.

Niall

International Coach
Cricbuzz ‏@cricbuzz 30m30 minutes ago
CLARIFICATION: Sehwag has denied reports of retirement from international cricket.
Possibly not true, although I just can't see how he plays for India ever again anyway.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Ha, someone had to take the bait - you are a obvious candidate who i expected to chime in. Predictable lot on CW.
You've not even been back a day and you're already posting like this. Pull your head in.

Daemon

One of the criteria for joining the Masters T20 League is that you must be retired from all formats. He joined and that's where the speculation of his retirement came in.