• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** West Indies in Sri Lanka 2015

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Agree mostly. But not on the stuff about the lankan pacers. Dhammika has been genuinely top class this year.
They're ok I guess but we've just faced England and Australia and compared to those teams pacers they're ordinary. I'd definitely take Taylor/Roach and Holder over them too tbh.

I guess what I'm saying is to be bowled out twice for under 300 against them on that pitch is pretty terrible. I think Herath is class so fair enough but any batting line up worth its salt would have at least scored runs at the other end. It's very dispiriting as I could see us doing well if we could get the likes of Taylor and Bishoo into the game by scoring a few runs.

I continue watching because I'm a die hard fan and it's in my blood but these are incredibly difficult times even by our standards.

Beamer

Collectively or individually? West Indies have the better pace attack overall but Holder is definitely not better than Prasad.
Roach and Taylor individually and also collectively as a seam attack. I just don't rate the Sri Lankan pacers tbh.

Mind you, we're not in a position to judge, our guys can't even bat. Building an innings is a dying art in the Caribbean.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Sri Lankan seamers aren't that bad to be honest. I have grown to like Dhamika Prasad. But yeah WI are still slightly ahead.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Nah I don't see WI pacers ahead if anything they are equal. Dhammika has been gun now for quite some time and looks exactly the sort of bowler who gets slipped under the radar far too easily. Then there is Eranga who is rated pretty high in SL and although I am a bit skeptical of him but I believe he will come good and Chameera who has potential

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I could talk about selection, playing 4 pacers on this pitch etc but the reality is our batting line up is full of youngsters who are either not ready or are learning the ropes. Our two senior batsmen are completely unreliable too. Brilliant one series, awful the next.

I've literally been reduced to enjoying individual performances like Blackwoods today or Bishoo and Taylor against Australia. I never once thought we could fight back as a team when Sri Lanka got in front.
The good thing is that there is someone doing something notable each match, so there is a little hope but I do feel for you and think you've summed up where West Indies is at the moment.

Next game I would drop Gabriel and bring in Dowrich. I want to axe Hope but don't feel as though there is anyone else in the squad who can do better.

1 Hope 2 Brathwaite 3 Bravo 4 Dowrich 5 Blackwood 6 Samuels 7 Holder 8 Ramdin 9 Taylor 10 Roach 11 Bishoo

Samuels shuffled down the order due to the high number of overs he is bowling.

Flem274*

123/5
Roach and Taylor are head and shoulders above Prasad. Prasad is usually a decent bowler these days but he's not a patch on either of the two West Indians.

Good to see my boy Karu make a big score.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Taylor is just so hot-and-cold though. Looked like he had forgotten how to bowl in SA.

Taylor and Roach have never had a game in which they've both performed. Which is incredibly frustrating.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Damn I just saw that Bravo catch by Chandimal... reminded me of Mahanama back in those days.
Mahanama did it with ridiculous regularity. That is why he is an ATG fieldsman. But many don't even bring up his name when it comes to ATG fielders.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
you are right in that we have no world class bowlers in the pace department however Prasad and Pradeep bowled well imo.They bowled consistent lines and showed good variations in length also. They certainly don't have the pace of the WIndies pace bowlers but to write them off is unfair. Pradeep and Chameera can consistently bowl at 140 KPH + and so all is not lost for us in terms of the stocks- they need to improve their fitness and also their experience at the top level. Add in Eranga, and Lakmal (if and when they ever get fit) and it looks ok..Dont forget spin always has been and always will be our strength in terms of bowling)
Well done to Sri Lanka on a good victory after losing two consecutive series at home. As usual Herath was his usual self with fantastic patience, variations and skill. I was very disappointed with Kaushal who bowled far too short and ensuring his action was legal was clearly weighing on his mind(which is should always be) but he should have been given time to practice and adjust before being rushed back to top level cricket IMO).
You are living in the past. The quickest bowler of the match was Nuwan Pradeep. West Indies bowlers may be good on hard and bouncy wickets, but it comes to bowling on unresponsive wickets Prasad and Pradeep were much better than WI bowlers. This is without Eranga and Lakmal, who were better bowlers than Prasad. If we ere to have these four and Chameera fit for a season, we have a better rounded fast bowling attack than WI.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
How long til Thirimanne finally gets trashed and why won't it be this decade?

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
you think lakmal is a better bowler than prasad ffs go edit that for accuracy
I know you have issues with Lakmal, but that's what most of the Lankans think. The way Prasad sprayed it around like Peter North on his early days is still fresh in m inds.

YorksLanka

International Debutant
You are living in the past. The quickest bowler of the match was Nuwan Pradeep. West Indies bowlers may be good on hard and bouncy wickets, but it comes to bowling on unresponsive wickets Prasad and Pradeep were much better than WI bowlers. This is without Eranga and Lakmal, who were better bowlers than Prasad. If we ere to have these four and Chameera fit for a season, we have a better rounded fast bowling attack than WI.
Are you sure that Pradeep was quicker than Gabriel?I didn't see all of the match personally, Pradeep may have been quicker on our wickets but if you consider them on English/Aus wickets, the Gabriel/Taylor will be quicker, however as I initially said, its not just about speed its about the consistent lines and lengths (which i felt our bowlers did better with)

Last edited:

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Are you sure that Pradeep was quicker than Gabriel?I didn't see all of the match personally, Pradeep may have been quicker on our wickets but if you consider them on English/Aus wickets, the Gabriel/Taylor will be quicker, however as I initially said, its not just about speed its about the consistent lines and lengths (which i felt our bowlers did better with)
Gabriels quickest was 146. Nuwan Pradeep hit 147 and 145k on multiple occasions. AVerage wise he was few clicks quicker than Gabriel.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
All of this foolishness that going on in West Indies cricket is just despicable, if sanity was the name of the game and coach Simmons didn't had to speak out over the obvious outside influences to the selection, the WICB didn't create the questionable new MOU/CBA pay structure that caused the India tour pull out Bravo and Simmons to retire from test cricket & general stupid selection - this could have been the the Windies test XI & squad for this series (I'm only leaving out Gayle, Simmons because they injured and Narine because he said he is not comfortable to returning to test cricket yet with his remodeled action.

Brathwaite
Hughes
Bravo
Samuels
Blackwood
DW Bravo
Ramdin (captain)
Permaul
Bishoo
Taylor
Roach

Pollard/Hope, Gabriel, Dorwich, Holder

Beamer

Gabriels quickest was 146. Nuwan Pradeep hit 147 and 145k on multiple occasions. AVerage wise he was few clicks quicker than Gabriel.
I still have the day 2 footage recorded and Gabriel was up at 149kph. Were we watching the same game?

Last edited: