• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Test centuries in the Sub Continent since 2000

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
A couple of Damien Martyn's tons in India 2004

Other than Laxman I wouldn't really put any other local player innings on the list tbh, conditions just give local batsman the kind of advantage you don't see anywhere else in the world

Should we say the same about fast bowlers and refuse to rank any non SC bowler spells in non SC conditions?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
haha. most classic case of anti-SC bias I was talking about in that thread with zinzan.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah, Sehwag was insane between 2003 and 2010. If only he was good outside subcontinent, which he did raise hopes for initially after scoring a hundred in each of his first tours to SA, ENG and AUS.

He just got lazy in tests circa 2009 or 2010. HE just refused to do the first hour of hard work away from home. His technical frailities outside SC are overplayed IMO. The real issue was that he was mentally lazy and paid the price more in those conditions than in SC.

As for the topic:

1. VVS 281
2. Viru 201
3. KP

Have to admit have not watched as many games in SL as I should have since 2001 or so. Lara's 226 a shout here if we are gonna go crazy about Flem274, surely? :p

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member

Other than Laxman I wouldn't really put any other local player innings on the list tbh, conditions just give local batsman the kind of advantage you don't see anywhere else in the world
Yeah just like there is no need to rank any local swing bowler's performance on his home green top

G.I.Joe

International Coach
(1) VVS 281
(2) Sehwag double at Galle
(3) As much as it pains me to mention it, Kamran Akmal's 113 in the Irfan Pathan first over hat-trick Test in 2006. Credit where it's due - turned around 26/6 to a win. Extremely neglected innings, IMO.
(4) KP Mumbai
(5) Sehwag 293
(6) Chandimal 2015
(7) Sehwag 309

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
One really superb great innings has been left out so far. The only good thing that kakmal ever did

That century against India in Karachi after Irfan Pathan got a hattrick first up

smash84

The Tiger King
(1) VVS 281
(2) Sehwag double at Galle
(3) As much as it pains me to mention it, Kamran Akmal's 113 in the Irfan Pathan first over hat-trick Test in 2006. Credit where it's due - turned around 26/6 to a win. Extremely neglected innings, IMO.
(4) KP Mumbai
(5) Sehwag 293
(6) Chandimal 2015
(7) Sehwag 319
whoops, missed gi's list. It has been mentioned here. And yeah quite agree. The game seemed all over for Pak until kakmal's century

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I think my favourite Sehwag innings would be against Sri Lanka from 2010ish, one of the Sri Lankan seamers (possibly Welegedera) had made good use of early conditions and reduced India to 30odd for 3 or 4. Sehwag had survived, spinners came on and he went nuts.

Spark

Global Moderator

Yes, which is why all Australian centuries at Brisbane or Perth should henceforth be ignored.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Gilly's 144 against us in Kandy. I know Martyn scored more but it was Gilly, pushed to No 3 to take on swing bowling did the damage. Vaas and Zoysa was in the middle of a dream spell, and rolled Aussies over for a low score. Aussies went on to win the match by 40 odd runs and then series 3-0.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Tendulkar's match-winning double ton vs Australia must be in the top 10. A great innings in SC doesn't have to be against top-class spin bowling on a minefield.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Dhawan's debut knock?

And, as much as it pains me to say it, any of Vijay's home tons vs. Australia (when he seemed to only ever score runs vs. Australia at home)

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Dhoni's double hundred against Australia was good too. Seized early advantage that lasted the series.