• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What would your stats be if you actually played international cricket?

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yes, but what is the gap between international and club cricket? I saw Devon Malcolm, a dire batsman, club 3 sixes in a first class match with consummate ease. In club cricket, in 2009 no less when he was 46, he was batting 7 whilst fellow tail ender - Jason Gillespie - batted 4. I just think the gulf between international and club cricket is much bigger than you're giving credit.
Well you kind of answered my question there, although the big question is whether Chris Martin would have prospered much more, remembering of course, he was no ordinary poor tailender.... he was spectacularly poor.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
yeah I remember McGrath saying he used to open the batting and bowling for his club team and said he pretty much expected every international cricketer did as well. You dont make it to the top level being a complete mug at one of the disciplines IMO

Zinzan

Realistically, I think I would average less than 1 with the bat.
I actually doubt you'd average less than 1 over 100 tests (assuming you have any batting skills at all). You'd be bound to get the odd nick for 4 along with the odd not-out as the batsman at the other end is trying to farm the strike and slog. And who's knows, you might actually get the odd genuine shot away by fluke.

HeathDavisSpeed

Well you kind of answered my question there, although the big question is whether Chris Martin would have prospered much more, remembering of course, he was no ordinary poor tailender.... he was spectacularly poor.
That's specifically why I mentioned Malcolm. He averaged a paltry 6 for England.

Granted, that's still a class above Chris Martin or Chris Mpofu, but they did average 2 in Test cricket. Plus, Chris Martin owned (I think) Harbhajan with a beautiful cover drive, so he wasn't that much of a mug...

HeathDavisSpeed

I actually doubt you'd average less than 1 over 100 tests (assuming you have any batting skills at all). You'd be bound to get the odd nick for 4 along with the odd not-out as the batsman at the other end is trying to farm the strike and slog. And who's knows, you might actually get the odd genuine shot away by fluke.
Chris Martin averaged 2. I have faced 125-130 kmh bowlers twice. I was out first ball both times. I just don't see it.

And by 125-130kmh, I mean someone who actually bowled that speed, not Fiery.

Zinzan

There may be some trainspotters out there who may be able to comment on how Martin did with the bat at Club level.

I do recall hearing that Iain O'Brien scored 147 in a Wellington first grade club match a few years back, but even O'Brien was immeasurably more capable than dear old Chris with willow in hand.

Zinzan

Chris Martin averaged 2. I have faced 125-130 kmh bowlers twice. I was out first ball both times. I just don't see it.

And by 125-130kmh, I mean someone who actually bowled that speed, not Fiery.
See I could actually play shots up to 130-132 kms at Lincoln, although to be fair, it's far far easier when the bowling machine is set to a certain length. I was able to pull relatively comfortably. Once it was set to 140, I just couldn't react fast enough to play a pull stroke, even knowing the length in advance.

HeathDavisSpeed

Yeah, I've faced 140kmh bowling machine, and knowing the length makes a huge difference as I was able to effect a mediocre drive against the bowling machine.

This would be a decent experiment, perhaps CW could ask someone like Brett Lee to give one of us a chance to face him (without the aggro or the no balls) to see what could be achieved. I'd be happy to try facing someone like Iain O'Brien or Andy McKay and see what I could do, but I suspect it'd be bugger all.

morgieb

Would struggle to score a run or take a wicket. Unless I randomly nicked one through the slips or someone played the worst shot of all-time.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I would average probably 0 for the first 2-3 seasons but once just like Chris Martin did, I acclimatized to the speed and kept facing Tim Southee in the nets, I reckon I could fluke a 50 after 5-6 seasons of trying. Most tailenders do manage to score a 50 at some stage. I am a batsman in club cricket, so would rate myself to adjust.

I would refuse to face Dale Steyn mind you or Johnson. Would get the flu that day.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I would select to play for a minnow in ODI's and think after 100 ODIs I would be able to average around 5. Wouldn't be surprised that I would start off slowly in my career but would get used to it more and more. My SR would likely be around the 40 mark.

In 100 overs I reckon i could end my career with 2 wickets @ 600 going at 12 runs per over.

harsh.ag

Would manage to score a few 20s I think. Am used to playing spin and some decent pace (around 120-125ks). Swing would be a problem though. Would knick off a lot.

GGG

State Captain
Depends on the wicket, I think I could scratch out a dodgy 10 on a road and a old ball against anyone not more that 135km. I would need a few months of nets as I haven't batted in over a decade though. Speed and swing and I would be toast.

Last edited:

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Depends on the wicket, I think I could scratch out a dodgy 10 on a road and a old ball against anyone not more that 135km. I would need a few months of nets as I haven't batted in over a decade though. Speed and swing and I would be toast.
Used to be in hell when faced around 125 KPH. 135 is a lotttttttt for me

TheJediBrah

Maybe average 15 with the bat, as a keeper definitely not good enough, as a bowler would be bradmanesque with my average (ie. >99)

Fielding would probably be the only area where I would be getting close to acceptable standard

edit: Talking about me right now, having had time to train regularly and try hard etc. might be slightly better (still nowhere near good enough obv)

Last edited: