• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What would your stats be if you actually played international cricket?

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Let's say something weird happens in the minds of the selectors and they decide that you (yes, YOU) are now an indispensible part of your nation's cricket team. You play 100 matches (Test or ODI) before they discover that you're not up to international standard. What are your stats?

I used to be a deceptive pace bowler and I reckon that I could get up to about Nathan Astle standard. I used to bat No. 8 and average about 25 and I reckon this would translate to being slightly better than Glenn McGrath at international level. I think I'd average about 8 or 9 with the bat, probably 45-50 with the ball.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'd average 55 with the bat but only strike at 72 and therefore not get a game. :ph34r:

But seriously now that Martin has retired I'd most likely be the worst batsman in world cricket by a fair distance, and while I give my offies a rip I probably bowl too slowly through the air to not be charged near enough every ball so I don't think I'd ever really get a bowl either. I like to think I'd take most catches that were hit straight to me to ensure it was worth actually showing up.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Realistically, I think I would average less than 1 with the bat. Whilst there might be a vague, vague chance of me edging one for 4 once in a blue moon, I can't see me scoring any proper shots. I'd have a good stab at blocking the **** out of the ball, but I suspect I'd fail abysmally.

With the bowling, these days I'd have no chance except caught on the boundary - and even then, it would need to be on the boundary of some massive, massive park. Massive. At my peak, I'd like to think I could average ~200+. I have dismissed a former first class #8 batsman, but that's about as good as it's got.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think it's easier for one to average 15 with the bat than it would be to average the equivalent of that with the ball (45?). Easier to score a few fluke runs than to take wickets imo.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Hard to say. I thought I always had those "hard elements" of ripping the ball, planning, not emotional about getting carted around, some serious sledging abilities, way stronger than most of my countrymen, but really lacked the work ethic, and was terribly indisciplined in the sense I wanted to build my game my own way . Could say unfit for cricket as well, because I was pretty overweight and never was an athlete. So didn't go well with coaches. Could have made a FC team I reckon.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
I'm not sure if it's that difficult to fluke wickets, especially in ODI cricket. When I'm been trawling through StatsGuru I've noticed a lot of batsmen who had the odd bowl and got wickets at a surprising rate. Inzamam ul Haq for example.

All you really have to do is chuck it down on the stumps and you'll get a wicket every time the batsman misses or slogs it to a fielder.

I refuse to believe I'd be much worse than AB de Villiers anyway.

cnerd123

likes this
But seriously now that Martin has retired I'd most likely be the worst batsman in world cricket by a fair distance, and while I give my offies a rip I probably bowl too slowly through the air to not be charged near enough every ball so I don't think I'd ever really get a bowl either. I like to think I'd take most catches that were hit straight to me to ensure it was worth actually showing up.
Yea this.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Interesting question. While in the short term I would undoubtedly average 0, and cost my team about 1000 in byes (I'm usually a keeper), a 100 match career is (in New Zealand) equivalent to 12-13 years in the game. If I was to have entered the national environment in my early 20's and had full time access to coaching staff and a professional environment, then I reckon I might have just about been able to nudge my average into double figures during the prime years of my hypothetical career.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I am a lower order club hack. I have, however, faced a number of former test/ODI level bowlers in the nets, when they were well past their prime. The issue is not being able to see the ball, it's being able to play a shot in time.

I reckon I could (maybe) keep a guy like Siddle/McGrath out for an over or two just playing defensively, but if I tried to score I'd go out in no time. A guy like Johnson, Lee or Tait would only need to bowl at my pads/stumps and I'd be gone. I'd relish the chance to face Warne in a test but he'd get me out fairly quickly.

My bowling (which is better than respectable at the level I play) would be cannon fodder for international batsmen. Bowled to a few international U19s recently and they just hit the ball so well. I'd hate to think what AB Devil or Maxwell would do to my medium pace outswingers!

If I somehow played 100 tests, I think I'd average less than 2 with the bat, and around 120 with the ball.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
By the way, in 615 deliveries at Test level, Chris Martin clubbed 15 fours, or one every 41 balls.
Glenn McGrath smashed 51 fours off 1570 deliveries; one every 31 balls.

adub

International Captain
100 tests and lucky to score 100 runs, never bowled, dropped more than 100 catches.

mr_mister

I was a decent offspinner at my peak, once took 55 wickets in a season @ 5, albeit in 6th grade...(though I was 16 and everyone else was 20+)

But my batting is just all slogging and I'd look worse than Hales out there. Every international quick would just be too fast for me to hit. I did hit 3 fifties though, one of them in 1st grade.

My catching would be baaaaad, worse than Pakistan. I'm not good under pressure

Last edited:

dfrinku

U19 Debutant
What's the test equivalent of an average of 10 with the bat and 4 wickets @ 26 in club C-Grade? Not good, right?

I'm a pretty handy fielder, though. Once took 4 outfield catches in one match.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I would probably cause a lot of online debate over whether my selection should be considered match-fixing or some mysterious nepotism

HeathDavisSpeed

By the way, in 615 deliveries at Test level, Chris Martin clubbed 15 fours, or one every 41 balls.
Glenn McGrath smashed 51 fours off 1570 deliveries; one every 31 balls.
Yes, but what is the gap between international and club cricket? I saw Devon Malcolm, a dire batsman, club 3 sixes in a first class match with consummate ease. In club cricket, in 2009 no less when he was 46, he was batting 7 whilst fellow tail ender - Jason Gillespie - batted 4. I just think the gulf between international and club cricket is much bigger than you're giving credit.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Honestly don't think I'd be any worse than Chris Martin with the bat (probably about the same). I often cynically suggested he'd have had a better chance if he held his bat in front of the wicket, without even lifting it up. At least then, a portion of the stumps were covered. I was lucky enough to have a mate who was media liaison for the BC's a few years back and a couple of times he took me out to the Lincoln high performance center and unleashed the bowling machine on me. While I struggled to play any shots at all with it cranked up to 140 kms, I could at least dead bat it (probably to Chris Martin's standard.) I've often wondered if Martin would average more than 10 playing senior A's.. I'm not sure he'd have been much better at that level. I'm sure on the other hand I'd be comfortably worse than McGrath with the bat.

Hence would probably average around 3 (if I wasn't killed before my 100th test) and well over 100 with the ball.