• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is Sri Lanka's best ever cricketer?

Who is Sri Lanka's best ever cricketer?

• Muttiah Muralitharan

Votes: 34 81.0%
  • Kumar Sangakkara

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • Mahela Jayawardene

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aravinda De Silva

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • Chaminda Vaas

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I would say Murali, a fair gap, then Sanga, a fair gap, then Mahela. Just tests of course. If ODIs are taken into account Aravinda and Sanath would come into play probably still at #3.
How is Jayawardene better than Aravinda?

In Australia

MJ 31.4
AD 38.6

In England

In SA

MJ 27.8
AD 30.5

In NZ

MJ 27.7
AD 45.7

In Sri Lanka, Mahela averages 58 while Aravinda averaged 52. Don't forget that averages were lower 15 years back. Aravinda>Mahela. Don't be fooled by over all average.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Change? Of what?
ODI cricket with the aggressive batting on top of the order. Sure, Greatbatch and company did it in 92 but it was only after the WC that the batting team going crazy in the first 15 overs became a norm, sort of.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Yeah, but there's a difference between doing it better than most and doing it first.

Everyone falls into the trap of assuming they did it first. The little Sri Lankans do it, the little New Zealanders do it...
Qadir was an amazing leg spinner before Warne. But we say Warne brought the ***y back to leg spin, not Qadir. It's about the impact and impression it left on the other teams. Bodyline was practiced even before the English in sparse occasions according the Bodyline Autopsy. But we remember it for Jardine and England from that series.

K, thx,bi.

viriya

International Captain
How is Jayawardene better than Aravinda?

In Australia

MJ 31.4
AD 38.6

In England

In SA

MJ 27.8
AD 30.5

In NZ

MJ 27.7
AD 45.7

In Sri Lanka, Mahela averages 58 while Aravinda averaged 52. Don't forget that averages were lower 15 years back. Aravinda>Mahela. Don't be fooled by over all average.
Aravinda just didn't do it consistently.. His Test record is mostly hype, with 2 great years. I realize Mahela wasn't great outside SL, but imo he still trumps Aravinda in consistent performances in Tests. Plus he had a much longer career (in terms of number of tests).

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Aravinda just didn't do it consistently.. His Test record is mostly hype, with 2 great years. I realize Mahela wasn't great outside SL, but imo he still trumps Aravinda in consistent performances in Tests. Plus he had a much longer career.
What are you talking about bro? Jayawardene had more tests but that's because Sri Lanka played far more tests in his time. De Silva's career wasn't hype. He was the real deal. In a time when many Sri Lankan batsmen were bunnies abroad, De Silva at least stood up to some extent abroad. That's a big deal.

viriya

International Captain
I did clarify.. By number of tests.. Mahela played 50% more test matches and was generally consistent throughout.

viriya

International Captain
Aravinda's so great because of his ODI record.. Mahela vs aravinda there is no contest.. In tests not so much.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
So Jaywardene had more tests as Lanka played more tests. That doesn't mean much. As I said earlier, you are just going by over all stats without going deep into it. How old are you? Maybe you didn't watch much of Aravinda.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
viriya said:
and was generally consistent throughout.
Was

A) consistently poorer than De Silva abroad.
B) Both dominated at home.

So how was Jayawardene conclusively better?

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Keep fighting the good fight Pratters.

Aravinda was truly an inspirational player and often had to stand up by himself. Jayawardene possibly is classier.

viriya

International Captain
So Jaywardene had more tests as Lanka played more tests. That doesn't mean much. As I said earlier, you are just going by over all stats without going deep into it. How old are you? Maybe you didn't watch much of Aravinda.
Lol are you kidding me.. I watched Aravinda through his career.. he would not have maintained his record for 50 more tests even if he had played more. Aravinda is great to watch, and I would pick him to make a match-winning knock in an ODI chase anyday, but is overrated in Tests. Mahela is way better than Aravinda at home - are you kidding me? He averaged 60 over 80 tests vs Aravinda's 50 over 40 tests.. that's a similar record? :wacko:

viriya

International Captain
And for all this BS about Aravinda doing better away - he averages 36 away vs Mahela's 42.. While I agree Aravinda was better in swinging conditions, this is hardly enough reason to pick him over Mahela in Tests.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Viriya, you raise a good point regarding consistency. Aravinda has good years, bad years and suchlike. Jayawardene mostly had good years till the fag end of his career. However, please don't discount that

- Jaywardene averages nearly 60 at home while DeSilva averages 52. Now in real terms, batsmen average more now than in the 90s, so it is not much but it makes impact on the yearly average.
- DeSilva played in an era when there were far fewer tests. So if he has one poor series, the whole average screws up. Jayawardene had chance to make that up as he was more likely to have a home series to boost the average.

In the 2000s, we had Sangakarra and Jayawardene for Sri Lanka. In the 90s, we had DeSilva who was lone ranger at times.

Test average of other major Lankan players in the 90s:

Ranatunga 35
Gurusinha's 38
Mahanama 29

Jayasuriya was great in 1997 but 1998-2001, he was again poor. Before that, he was primarily a bowler. It was mighty difficult to carry the whole team on your own. Sure, DeSilva had 3 bad years 1993, 1994, 1995 but who cares. He was the light. The beacon. He was the champ. He was amazing 1991-93 and then again 1997-99. In 1985, he made a 100. But no other Lankan player crossed even 50. The second highest was 36 ffs. Don't forget the 1989 series in Australia either. DeSilva was the man for years. And you say he didn't play long enough and then equate it with tests played. HAH.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
And for all this BS about Aravinda doing better away - he averages 36 away vs Mahela's 42.. While I agree Aravinda was better in swinging conditions, this is hardly enough reason to pick him over Mahela in Tests.
LOL I will get back on this.

viriya

International Captain
Viriya, you raise a good point regarding consistency. Aravinda has good years, bad years and suchlike. Jayawardene mostly had good years till the fag end of his career. However, please don't discount that

- Jaywardene averages nearly 60 at home while DeSilva averages 52. Now in real terms, batsmen average more now than in the 90s, so it is not much but it makes impact on the yearly average.
- DeSilva played in an era when there were far fewer tests. So if he has one poor series, the whole average screws up. Jayawardene had chance to make that up as he was more likely to have a home series to boost the average.

In the 2000s, we had Sangakarra and Jayawardene for Sri Lanka. In the 90s, we had DeSilva who was lone ranger at times.

Test average of other major Lankan players in the 90s:

Ranatunga 35
Gurusinha's 38
Mahanama 29

Jayasuriya was great in 1997 but 1998-2001, he was again poor. Before that, he was primarily a bowler. It was mighty difficult to carry the whole team on your own. Sure, DeSilva had 3 bad years 1993, 1994, 1995 but who cares. He was the light. The beacon. He was the champ. He was amazing 1991-93 and then again 1997-99. In 1985, he made a 100. But no other Lankan player crossed even 50. The second highest was 36 ffs. Don't forget the 1989 series in Australia either. DeSilva was the man for years. And you say he didn't play long enough and then equate it with tests played. HAH.
Other batsmen not being as good is a terrible argument.. Are we supposed to bump Lara's 52 average to 60 or something?

The truth is that Aravinda just didn't have the patience that Mahela had to thrive in Tests. He was called "mad max" for a reason. He got better after 95 but never as good as Mahela at making huge tons.

Most of the aura Aravinda has is because of ODIs, where I think it's warranted.. there was a time in the late 90s where you could believe that he could win at any scenario.. But that doesn't mean he was better in Tests.