• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ryan Harris retires with immediate effect

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm trying to think of logical reasons to include him in an Australian ATG side because I really want him.
Fairly straightforward: he played for Sussex (ok, just the 1 match) and of others who met that key criterion, Tony Dodemaide was a bit crap, and Bevan, Murdoch and Di Venuto weren't as quick

What a brilliant bowler, so pleased that he managed to carve out a distinguished Test career at a relatively late age.

Gob

International Coach
Doing Harris a major disservice there. Only thing those 2 were comparable in was injuries IMO.
Staaahp. I don't want to wake up tomorrow and read ten pages of harris v bond from kiwidictator,skyliner and captain hindsight.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
I think Harris was sgnificantly better than McDermott tbh, though the latter's longevity works in his favour and he led the attack as the team came out of the wilderness on its way to number one, so he gets points for that. I think Harris was better than Gillespie too, though it's a lot closer.
McDermott also came back from injury and was a different but still effective bowler. After McGrath theres a good list of very good bowlers but Harris is right up there with any of them. Probably my favorite after McGrath so I'm trying not to let bias take over. Reid when fit and at the WACA was brilliant and Alderman in England was awesome.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Quality player and seems a good bloke. Shame about his nationality but nobody is perfect.

Spark

Global Moderator
It is certainly a boost to our chances, not that we'd want it in this way.

As my old man said in a text when the news broke, "Is this their new McGrath?" Only time will tell on that one.
Timing is much better tbf than mere minutes before the toss. He probably wasn't going to play in this Test anyway and him being replaced full stop in the squad makes it minimally disruptive.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Timing is much better tbf than mere minutes before the toss. He probably wasn't going to play in this Test anyway and him being replaced full stop in the squad makes it minimally disruptive.
Yeah but him being your best bowler is similar. Give our team a huge boost regardless.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Dammit. Get him in the Australian coaching set up, as of now. Keep him in England and bowling in the nets.

If we're two down with three to play, ask him how his knees feel!

But seriously, get him in the coaching set up.

Spark

Global Moderator
Dammit. Get him in the Australian coaching set up, as of now. Keep him in England and bowling in the nets.

If we're two down with three to play, ask him how his knees feel!

But seriously, get him in the coaching set up.
I heard he's going to stay with the team for a little while.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Sad times. But I'm sure I'm not the only person who 30 months ago thought he'd probably never play another test. Instead we got a full year of 12 tests against England and South Africa where he was probably the best bowler in the world. We should be thankful he had one incredible last hurrah.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
In terms of where he ranks, he must be up there in a Post WSC Australian Ashes XI.

Could be quite an interesting discussion that, actually.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Won the series in SA for his team despite having no knees. Rhyno at Capetown is probably the single most heroic performance I've seen live.