• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ricky Ponting vs. Kumar Sangakkara (ODIs)

Who was better in ODIs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

viriya

International Captain
I will seriously consider Sangakkara for a place in the top 3 but I feel that he will fall just short because I don't think he quite has a really, really great, memorable innings like the other 3 - and I'm quite happy to concede that that's possibly as a result of an unconscious bias on my part that doesn't quite rate cricket played by Sri Lanka as highly.
IMO only Lara had more great innings than Sanga in his career - and no one had more great innings than Lara by a long shot. Tendulkar is a better example of a player who was consistent throughout without many great Test innings.

But anyway, he runs them close. Dravid quite comfortably rounds out the top 5 IMO.
I think Kallis > Dravid but they are very close. Ponting is also arguably top 5. Top 3 is Sachin/Sanga/Lara and there's not much between the three.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Anyone who doesn't rank the Tendulkar Era batsmen Tendulkar-Lara-Ponting is frankly bonkers.

I will seriously consider Sangakkara for a place in the top 3 but I feel that he will fall just short because I don't think he quite has a really, really great, memorable innings like the other 3 - and I'm quite happy to concede that that's possibly as a result of an unconscious bias on my part that doesn't quite rate cricket played by Sri Lanka as highly.

But anyway, he runs them close. Dravid quite comfortably rounds out the top 5 IMO.
If this is about tests, then I gotta disagree about the bolded part. Sanga's played more great knocks than anyone in the Tendulkar era except Lara, maybe. Lack of truly memorable knocks is something you can probably dock Kallis for, not Sanga.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
No my original post didn't sound like that. That's absurd. You'd have to be a stupider than Ishant Sharma giving death bowling instructions at a bowling camp if you got that from the post.
Your original post said something like "Lara and Ponting didn't get to make 2000 runs against minnows unlike Kallis, Tendulkar, Sanga. It is as simple as that." It is not very stupid to think 'It is as simple as that' means that seals the comparison in one way. It's good that you clarified your stand in the next post. But without that, there's no way of knowing what was on your mind in the first post.

Spark

Global Moderator
we could have semantic debates about what exactly 'it's that simple' means or we could watch some videos

edit: that video doesn't come remotely close to doing justice to that innings btw

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
There's not much among Waugh, Dravid, Kallis, Sanga and Ponting. They are numbers 3-7 in any order after Tendulkar and Lara IMO.

viriya

International Captain
There's not much among Waugh, Dravid, Kallis, Sanga and Ponting. They are numbers 3-7 in any order after Tendulkar and Lara IMO.
I think Sanga is clearly in the top 3 with Tendulkar and Lara, with Dravid, Kallis and Ponting in the next bracket. I have Waugh in the tier after that.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Anyone who doesn't rank the Tendulkar Era batsmen Tendulkar-Lara-Ponting is frankly bonkers.

The bloke has almost twice as many doubles (11 to 6) than Ponting & Tendulkar. If he hadn't been sawn off in Hobart he would have twice as many - would be equal with the Don. I saw him score back to back centuries on NZ greentops when Shane Bond was at the height of his powers:

1st Test: New Zealand v Sri Lanka at Christchurch, Dec 7-9, 2006 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

2nd Test: New Zealand v Sri Lanka at Wellington, Dec 15-18, 2006 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

I don't think anyone other than perhaps Dravid could have done that (although he lacked Sanga's skill at batting with the tail and manufacturing when required) Edit - Steve Waugh could have played those innings

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Ponting' decline with age was exacerbated by the fact he was such a hard hitting "eye" batsman. His last 20 or whatever tests were serviceable but he'd lost his pomp and everyone knew it and everyone should remember it.

Saint Kopite

First Class Debutant
Ponting is among the Top-5 batsmen of all time in ODIs and Top-10 ODI cricketers of all time.

As much as I like Sanga, I won't have him in Top-20 or even Top-30. Tests though, its a different matter altogether. In tests, Sanga is an ATG and one of the best modern era batsmen.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
If this is about tests, then I gotta disagree about the bolded part. Sanga's played more great knocks than anyone in the Tendulkar era except Lara, maybe. Lack of truly memorable knocks is something you can probably dock Kallis for, not Sanga.
The bloke has almost twice as many doubles (11 to 6) than Ponting & Tendulkar. If he hadn't been sawn off in Hobart he would have twice as many - would be equal with the Don. I saw him score back to back centuries on NZ greentops when Shane Bond was at the height of his powers:

1st Test: New Zealand v Sri Lanka at Christchurch, Dec 7-9, 2006 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

2nd Test: New Zealand v Sri Lanka at Wellington, Dec 15-18, 2006 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

I don't think anyone other than perhaps Dravid could have done that (although he lacked Sanga's skill at batting with the tail and manufacturing when required) Edit - Steve Waugh could have played those innings
Like I said, I think Sangakkara probably suffers because it's hard for me to get excited about Sri Lanka vs New Zealand or Pakistan - and this is coming from someone who loves Sangakkara as a batsman. The Ponting innings that Spark linked is a perfect example - Ashes cricket > all other cricket so Ponting will probably (unfairly) score more kudos with me because that innings came in an Ashes contest, whereas Sangakkara's 192 at Hobart - a great innings - just loses marks because it's just another 2 Test series involving Sri Lanka.

He just falls short of the top 3 IMO but considering who that top 3 is that's still not a bad achievement - and he's the number 3 in my Greatest XI so there's always that consolation :p

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lara, Ponting, Tendulkar are undoubtedly the 3 modern greats.

Waugh, Sangakarra, Kallis, Dravid are all greats too but you can't quite put them on the same level. If Ponting and Lara had played a dozen tests each against Bangladesh and Zimbabwe or half their games on roads like Sanga they could be averaging 70+.

viriya

International Captain
Like I said, I think Sangakkara probably suffers because it's hard for me to get excited about Sri Lanka vs New Zealand or Pakistan - and this is coming from someone who loves Sangakkara as a batsman. The Ponting innings that Spark linked is a perfect example - Ashes cricket > all other cricket so Ponting will probably (unfairly) score more kudos with me because that innings came in an Ashes contest, whereas Sangakkara's 192 at Hobart - a great innings - just loses marks because it's just another 2 Test series involving Sri Lanka.
This would mean any non-Ashes batsman would have no chance when you rate great innings? Ian Chappell called that 192 the best since Lara's 277 in Australia as I recall.

viriya

International Captain
If Ponting and Lara had played a dozen tests each against Bangladesh and Zimbabwe or half their games on roads like Sanga they could be averaging 70+.
This is hilarious when you consider that those "roads" were giving SL innings wins in the mid-2000s. Aus and WI has its fair share of roads as well - only SSC counts in SL.

viriya

International Captain
Ponting is among the Top-5 batsmen of all time in ODIs and Top-10 ODI cricketers of all time.
As much as I like Sanga, I won't have him in Top-20 or even Top-30
There is no way Ponting being top 5 and Sanga not even top 30 makes sense.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I actually think it's the other way around. They are closer as ODI batsmen, Sanga is clearly ahead as a Test batsman.
Ponting as a Test batsman was amazing for 4-5 years but was in the mid-2000s, but his overall career can't be evaluated just looking at that part of his career - it should be the whole thing.
When you say they didn't get to "plump their averages bashing minnows", you are discounting the records of those who did well vs minnows while ignoring the fact that their records are still better minus-minnows.

For completion's sake, the averages minus-Ban+Zim:
Sanga: 54
Kallis: 53
Lara: 52.5
Ponting: 51
Sachin: 51

Your argument only applies to Sachin.

Hates abilities.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member

He just falls short of the top 3 IMO but considering who that top 3 is that's still not a bad achievement - and he's the number 3 in my Greatest XI so there's always that consolation :p
I know that the Ashes is prestigious, but as a challenge for Australian batsmen is it really up there? When Ponting faced England he never had to bat against any ATG bowlers (I know the 2005 'attack' was excellent), but who was England's last great bowler? Botham? Willis? Underwood? Snow? Trueman?????

Surely scoring runs against Pakistan or 287 against Steyn should rate higher than Ashes runs for Australia (obv Ashes runs would rate for Englishmen - Michael Vaughan in that series in Oz many moons ago was stunningly good?

Last edited: