• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

I feel like the only person who likes the new ODI format...

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
Some have made the point that the effect of T20 is that batsmen have become more innovative. More canny. Better skilled. The bowlers should adapt or die.

But T20 doesn't operate without bowlers, and it's not like they're are standing there saying "well, there is literally no way to counter this assault so I'll just cop it." Of course they're trying to adapt. If batsmen are getting ahead and bowlers are being left behind, surely that indicates an inherent advantage for batsmen?

At any rate, I think it's funny how the solutions in this thread seem to run along the same lines as your traditional left vs right political argument.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
So there was definite, pronounced reverse swing from around the 35th over (=17 over old ball) for both teams in the Aus vs India semifinal.

Drop in wickets mean the ground is lush and no reverse, wicket blocks seem to enable reverse for those that are good enough to get it (Starc, Faulkner, Shami).

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
On the other hand, drop in wickets maintain the ball longer so it swings conventionally for longer.

Either way, plenty in it for bowlers.

Just need to adapt tactics slightly.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Sangakkara chimes in:

That's why they've introduced the two new balls, but I don't think that's really worked. On wickets that don't swing and seam, the new balls just stay harder for batsmen to hit farther. The spinners very rarely get turn anymore, unless you're a wristspinner. You rarely see reverse swing. A lot has gone out of the game. With one new ball, there used to be everything in a game. You used to have swing at the start, then the ball softer, making it more difficult for batsmen to score. You had spinners really turning the ball, and you had quicks coming back reversing. I think one new ball would work better. Now the big fast bowlers - not the subcontinental fast bowlers - have an advantage. But even with them, if they don't get two or three wickets in the first ten overs, it can be a struggle. Batsmen now hold the fort for the first ten.
Also in the death overs, because there is no reverse, it's hard to hit your yorkers unless you're Lasith Malinga or Mitchell Starc. Even after the 35th over, in the Powerplay, bowlers can really struggle. Most sides back themselves to set 300, and then see if their fast bowlers can make an initial impact.

Source: Kumar Sangakkara: 'A lot has gone out of the game with two new balls' | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He said reverse is rare and on pitches with no swing or seam

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yeah I miss the days where no hope straight break bowlers restricted runs bowling darts with a ball that had gone like a beanbag that batsmen could barely see too.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
This world cup's missed spinners but Australasia is the worst place in the world to bowl spin - and quality spinners have still contributed.

I can't be unhappy with conditions that contribute to mediocre bowlers getting belted.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This world cup's missed spinners but Australasia is the worst place in the world to bowl spin - and quality spinners have still contributed.

I can't be unhappy with conditions that contribute to mediocre bowlers getting belted.
Mediocre bowlers got punished under the old rules too. However the point has always been that the new rules punish everyone but the very best like Starc and Malinga like Sanga said. Even merely good bowlers too often go for massive runs in the death despite bowling merely well... Not brilliantly... But well. That's what we mean when we say that the balance isn't in favour of the bowlers. If the game is so ruthless in the final 10 overs that all but the very very best get creamed all over the place, (coz the margin of error is far more unforgiving than before) the game is no longer balanced and is unfair to the bowlers.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
It's funny how the 'not enough fielders outside the circle' whinge usually comes up when an ATG batsman like de Villiers goes ****ing tonto. At no point during New Zealand's chase was I thinking '**** me this will be easy, if only South Africa could stick one more man out things would be more balanced.'.
The fact that it was at the ground in the world where men on the fence probably least matter added to that, though.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
I think this new format has essentially killed off dibbly dobbler part timers at the high level. Not sure how I feel about that.

Like many others, I wish bats were regulated somewhat to balance the modern power game. I hate seeing batting errors hurting the bowler still. ****s me off.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Interesting to hear Sanga's thoughts on this in a recent interview

You've played a lot in Sri Lanka, where scores are much lower on average than we've seen at this World Cup. Has the balance shifted too far toward batsmen elsewhere?

That's why they've introduced the two new balls, but I don't think that's really worked. On wickets that don't swing and seam, the new balls just stay harder for batsmen to hit farther. The spinners very rarely get turn anymore, unless you're a wristspinner. You rarely see reverse swing. A lot has gone out of the game. With one new ball, there used to be everything in a game. You used to have swing at the start, then the ball softer, making it more difficult for batsmen to score. You had spinners really turning the ball, and you had quicks coming back reversing. I think one new ball would work better. Now the big fast bowlers - not the subcontinental fast bowlers - have an advantage. But even with them, if they don't get two or three wickets in the first ten overs, it can be a struggle. Batsmen now hold the fort for the first ten.

Also in the death overs, because there is no reverse, it's hard to hit your yorkers unless you're Lasith Malinga or Mitchell Starc. Even after the 35th over, in the Powerplay, bowlers can really struggle. Most sides back themselves to set 300, and then see if their fast bowlers can make an initial impact.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Haha yep.

Honestly you blokes that love the 2 new balls and the 4 fielders outside the circle, you say it rewards good bowling. Fine, I'm happy with that. But let Boult, Starc and Malinga bowl 14 overs you bunch of ****ing ****s. Let's see more good bowling!!!!!!!!!!