• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who are the most underated and overated players

tooextracool

International Coach
Langeveldt said:
Under Rated
A lot of these are rated highly, but they arent given credit for being outstanding in their field...
4. Makhaya Ntini
if anything hes overrated

Langeveldt said:
9. Nico Boje
has he done anything at all to be rated??

Langeveldt said:
12. Jason Gillespie
definetly not underrated

Langeveldt said:
Over Rated
4. Mornantau Hayward
does he even play anymore?

Langeveldt said:
5. Sean Ervine
why because he plays for the worst team in the world and yet averages over 30.overrated as a bowler...underrated as a batsman.

Langeveldt said:
8. Dwayne Smith
seriously when are you going to watch him bat?

tooextracool

International Coach
Langeveldt said:
Ponting averages more than Lara in tests anyway.......
does he play for a side that gets 47 all out???until ponting scores big in india im not going to rate him as anything more than "good"

Langeveldt said:
Not to mention one of the finest fielders in the game and what looks to be a far more impressive leader than Lara....
are we talking about batting ability or leadership qualities??

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
bhooth nath said:
irfan pathan overrated :wacko: ? :confused:

irfan pathan is highly underrrated.he is the best fast bowler among the current ones and is the only fast bowler among the surrent ones who can match the old greats like marshall, akram, etc.

Whoa there - after 5 games, he is not the best current fast bowler and there are other current fast bowlers who are a lot closer to Marshall, Akram etc. (although that's an interesting pair to rate as the top 2)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
bhooth nath said:
most overrated - indian batting
most underrated - indian bowling
Disagree on both - think they're rated about right.

The Indian bowling has never performed well enough consistently enough to be under-rated...

chicane

State Captain
marc71178 said:

The Indian bowling has never performed well enough consistently enough to be under-rated...
I disagree with both of bhooth nath's posts, but the Indian bowlers have recently been pretty much up against Australia, who are very tough to bowl to. In Pakistan, our bowlers were fantastic and won us matches. In the 2003 World Cup our bowlers won us matches. They are under-rated.

Sudeep

International Captain
marc71178 said:

Completely agree with you. Apart from Irfan Pathan, no pace bowler has performed consistently. Zaheer has gone from hero to zero, largely because he can't keep fit.

Like I said in the other thread, Nehra seems just too arrogant, also the worst fielder ever.

Balaji has shown signs of being good, but it's still a long way before we can rate him. Actually, similar applies to Pathan, though I said earlier that he has performed consistely He has done so for the start, let's see if he continues or not.

He has played only two series, and we're putting him over the moon. The guy is awesome, no doubt, but let's to have him go through what we gave Zaheer.

chicane

State Captain
Sudeep Popat said:
Completely agree with you. Apart from Irfan Pathan, no pace bowler has performed consistently. Zaheer has gone from hero to zero, largely because he can't keep fit.

He's gone from hero to zero but he will come back.
Sudeep Popat said:
Like I said in the other thread, Nehra seems just too arrogant, also the worst fielder ever.

Balaji has shown signs of being good, but it's still a long way before we can rate him. Actually, similar applies to Pathan, though I said earlier that he has performed consistely He has done so for the start, let's see if he continues or not.
Nehra is considered a bit of an eccentric by teammates. And not to sure if he's the worst ever.
Sudeep Popat said:
He has played only two series, and we're putting him over the moon. The guy is awesome, no doubt, but let's to have him go through what we gave Zaheer.
We're not putting him over the moon i.e better than the greats of past and present. He will have lows in his career, just like Zaheer now, but he is awesome and is a dream for a team like India and there will be hype. You don't wanna join in, your choice.

Sudeep

International Captain
chicane said:
He's gone from hero to zero but he will come back.

Nehra is considered a bit of an eccentric by teammates. And not to sure if he's the worst ever.

We're not putting him over the moon i.e better than the greats of past and present. He will have lows in his career, just like Zaheer now, but he is awesome and is a dream for a team like India and there will be hype. You don't wanna join in, your choice.
We always seem to disagree don't we? :p

I DID say Irfan is awesome. Did you read my reply in the Irfan thread? Wasn't that praise? Though in a more jovial way...

I never said Zaheer won't come back, I just said what everyone knows, that he has gone from hero to zero, which essentially meant he's in a bad form and shape, that's it.

And name one fielder worse than Nehra.

chicane

State Captain
Sudeep Popat said:
We always seem to disagree don't we? :p

I DID say Irfan is awesome. Did you read my reply in the Irfan thread? Wasn't that praise? Though in a more jovial way...

I never said Zaheer won't come back, I just said what everyone knows, that he has gone from hero to zero, which essentially meant he's in a bad form and shape, that's it.

And name one fielder worse than Nehra.
Yeah you said Irfan was awesome but I was just justifying the hype around him. Yeah you didn't say it and I know what you meant, but still ;) One fielder worse than Nehra - hmm Courtney Walsh. Or maybe from our own team? The three Karnatakites Srinath, Prasad and Kumble(though he has improved offlate). Nehra isn't very good saving runs but he's a reasonably safe catcher.

Sudeep

International Captain
chicane said:
Yeah you said Irfan was awesome but I was just justifying the hype around him. Yeah you didn't say it and I know what you meant, but still ;) One fielder worse than Nehra - hmm Courtney Walsh. Or maybe from our own team? The three Karnatakites Srinath, Prasad and Kumble(though he has improved offlate). Nehra isn't very good saving runs but he's a reasonably safe catcher.
IMO, those three are/were (whichever applies) better than Nehra.

Yes, Nehra is a reasonable catcher, but he doesn't have the spirit or will for saving runs. And you can't be a good fielder based on just catching.

Srinath wasn't the best of fielders, but even with a bad shoulder at times, he managed decently. I won't rate the three Kanatakites below Nehra.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Langeveldt said:
Under Rated
Saqlain Mushtaq
Has bowled the biggest load of tripe I have ever seen recently.

To quote Thommo:

'He is on one massive, loop-the-loop ride, to the **** heap.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Boje - consecutive hundreds against NZ and a good SLA bowler.. Yet still people talk about Paul Adams and not Boje

Ervine - The fact he shines in a mediocre team should have nothing to do with his rating.. Ditto Lara..

Gillespie - Seems to have been over shadowed by McGrath and Lee.. In my opinion anyway

Makhaya Ntini - Cant see how the second? highest wicket taker of 2003 can be over rated... Outstanding quick bowler..

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Langeveldt said:
And my opinion matches the general consensus..

Maybe its true then?
Very few people rate Ponting better than Lara. Most who do tend to be Australian.

Mr Mxyzptlk

tooextracool said:
does he play for a side that gets 47 all out???until ponting scores big in india im not going to rate him as anything more than "good"

are we talking about batting ability or leadership qualities??
Ponting is more than 'good', but not quite there with Lara.... yet.

Re: captaincy. I don't think you'd have seen Australia capitulating had Lara been able to captain them...

Mr Mxyzptlk

Langeveldt said:
Ervine - The fact he shines in a mediocre team should have nothing to do with his rating.. Ditto Lara..
What about Heath Streak? Does the fact that certain players have to literally shoulder the fate of their side mean nothing to you?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Langeveldt said:
Over Rated

8. Dwayne Smith
This is seriously bordering on ignorance Rich. :) He's not a godsend, but no one rates him as one. Watch the young man bat. If that's not talented, I don't know what is.