• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who are the most underated and overated players

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
SJS said:
The very fact that we list some players as over rated (or under rated) ensures that there will be disagreement otherwise how could they ever be considered over rated (or under rated in the first place).

So listing such players is fine, but arguing about it futile..almost by definition ! :p
The amusing thing about it is that the same player could end up in both lists (haven't checked yet).

tooextracool

International Coach
Langeveldt said:
Boje - consecutive hundreds against NZ and a good SLA bowler.. Yet still people talk about Paul Adams and not Boje
that was 4 years ago and he really hasnt done much since then.....as a bowler he is very ordinary, definetly as good as he is rated. agree with you on the paul adams part though....have to wonder how many more chances he will get despite bowling complete rubbish.

Langeveldt said:
Ervine - The fact he shines in a mediocre team should have nothing to do with his rating.. Ditto Lara..
watch him bat.... he has enough talent in the bat to make it to any side in the world. i doubt you happened to see his innings against india in the vb series. 100 off 100 and its interesting how the entire chase collapsed after he got out. reminds me so much of andy flower.

Langeveldt said:
Gillespie - Seems to have been over shadowed by McGrath and Lee.. In my opinion anyway
dont think lee has ever overshadowed him....he used to be overshadowed by glenn mcgrath, but in mcgrath's absence he really hasnt been able to take over from him as the spearhead of australias bowling attac

Langeveldt said:
Makhaya Ntini - Cant see how the second? highest wicket taker of 2003 can be over rated... Outstanding quick bowler..
so how exactly is someone who is rated no 2 underrated?? the reason why i say hes overrated is because he really hasnt done much against the quality batting sides.

ntini vs england 2003 - 35.39
ntini vs pakistan 2003 - 55.25
ntini vs new zealand 2004 - 49.00

im sorry but those are not averages i would like to see from the no 2 bowler in the world.

tooextracool

International Coach
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Ponting is more than 'good', but not quite there with Lara.... yet.

Re: captaincy. I don't think you'd have seen Australia capitulating had Lara been able to captain them...
he has always had problems against quality spin bowling in the sub continent....his average on the last tour of india was a pathetic 3.40 and on the recent tour of SL, 33. while the one against SL isnt bad it is significantly lower than his career average which seems to bring out those 3 letter again.

tooextracool

International Coach
Craig said:
Over-rated

Mohammed Sami
Brett Lee
Saqlain Mushtaq
Harbhajan Singh
Mahela Jayawardene
Craig McMillan
Dan Vettori

Under-rated

Heath Streak
Mark Richardson
Mike Kasprowicz
Shiverine Chanderpaul
Ridley Jacobs
VVS Laxman
Mark Butcher

That's about all for the moment.
thats more like the list id like to see...although i wouldnt say that laxman is underrated. i would also throw darren lehmann into that list of underrated players

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
tooextracool said:
ntini vs england 2003 - 35.39

im sorry but those are not averages i would like to see from the no 2 bowler in the world.

Except with Pollock at the other end, he was given licence to attack for wickets, hence he went for a few runs at the same time.

Look at it in context...

Waughney

International Debutant
M Ntini Mat 5 O 196.2 M 34 R 814 W 23 Av 35.39 Best 5-75 SR 51.2 Econ 4.14

Definately supports Marcs arguement.

tooextracool

International Coach
marc71178 said:
Except with Pollock at the other end, he was given licence to attack for wickets, hence he went for a few runs at the same time.

Look at it in context...
true but in pakistan he picked up 4 wickets in the entire series and in nz he picked up 7. his averages against australia and india, the 2 best batting lineups arent very good either.
dont get me wrong here im not saying that ntini isnt a good bowler....im just saying that hes not good enough to be rated no 2 in the world

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Lara is a very good slip catcher. That 'drop' off Flintoff is highly debateable IMO. Lara caught the ball quite clearly, but lost control when he was throwing it up into the air. If he hadn't made the dive to catch it again at that point, it would have been out, but that's just his instinct. The drop in the first Test was quite a shocker, but he injured his finger then too, so I assume he didn't sight the ball.
So not out. You must have control of the final disposal of the ball.

Loony BoB

International Captain
Overrated: Ian Butler
Underrated: Andre Ada-*shot by sniper*

Seriously, though... hrmm. Someone said Butcher was underrated and McMillan was overrated, yet McMillan isn't rated highly and Butcher is... Not sure how people are figuring these out.

twctopcat

International Regular
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
The only fielder that I've never seen misfield a few times is Jonty. I'm sure he did so several times over his career too.
Lara is a good fielder but nothing special. Maybe it's the captaincy affecting his concentration i don't know but i've seen Vaughan do plenty of misfields in his time as well. Add to that the sloppiness of Ganguly and perhaps there's some truth in it. Then again there's Ponting. Nothing like an aussie to show everyone up.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
twctopcat said:
Lara is a good fielder but nothing special. Maybe it's the captaincy affecting his concentration i don't know but i've seen Vaughan do plenty of misfields in his time as well. Add to that the sloppiness of Ganguly and perhaps there's some truth in it. Then again there's Ponting. Nothing like an aussie to show everyone up.
From what I've heard though, Ponting has dropped a sitter or two of late.

Regarding Lara, your comment proves my point perfectly.

twctopcat

International Regular
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
From what I've heard though, Ponting has dropped a sitter or two of late.

Regarding Lara, your comment proves my point perfectly.
How do you mean, with regards to the captaincy?

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
what is the criteria for calling a player under or over rated? rating is such a subjective decision, contaminated by individual prejudices, impressions, partial knowledge and the like.....for every 1000 people who call tendulkar great, there are a handful who call him a choking, flat-track bully :cool:

the clearest illustration of that is the way some in this thread have called certain players underrated while some others have called the very same players overrated. who is right and who is wrong? i don't believe that just because a million people say one thing, it has to be necessarily true....similiarly just because one man bucks the trend of opinion of a million others doesn't mean that he is right.....

ultimately you inject your judgement and your wisdom when you make your call, however flawed or accurate that may be..... :mellow: :angel_not

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
ah Bugger it Anil it's just a post wher people can say what they want about people who they like and don't like so here's my two cents

Over Rated:
Inzimam Ul-Haq
Steve Waugh (was)
Shaun Pollock
Glenn McGrath
Daniel Vettori
Sachin Tendulkar (He's not God)

Underrated:
Jason Gillespie
Michael Bevan (More Tests)
NSW (haha)
Jimmy Anderson