8 40.00%
  • Other

3 15.00%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Best Bowler in the death overs of ODI

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Yeah I'd take Migara's top four. The Klusener spot is the only one I'd probably have a bigger think about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    420 BLAZE IT
    [Zorax on Burgey]
    Quote Originally Posted by zorax View Post
    Wish I could articulate myself all over your face tbh
    And they say romance is dead.

The artist formerly known as Monk Red Hill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Migara View Post
    McGrath is easily better than any one of above
    I'd hardly go that far. I'd say they are pretty comparable. He's not "easily better" than any of them. And if he is, I'd like to hear your reasoning.

I like a good bowling combo. With what I have I get:

Garner- ball delivered from ten feet, yorkers, incredibly accurate and economical.
    Donald- skiddy deliveries, great strike power, actual express pace
    Wasim- left arm swing and serious pace.
    Warne- prefer a leggie over an offie most of the time but Murali is fine by me.
    Flintoff probably is the ideal 5th bowler/#7 batsman.
    Quote Originally Posted by Test_Fan_Only View Post
    Red Hill is a piece of ****

yeah agree with Monk, it isn't exactly that there is daylight between McG and the rest
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

I'd go with Malinga for the obvious effectiveness of his yorker.

Although he's not the best ever, I think Alfonso Thomas deserves a mention for his work in the English county circuit. When he bowls in the death, he always seems to be thinking an extra step ahead even against great players like Shahid Afridi. Underrated death bowler, even if he isn't deserving to be mentioned in the ranks of the Malingas, McGraths and Garners.
    Prince EWS likes this.
    And come what may we're unstoppable
    'cause we know just what we are
    Yeah we know just what we are
    - Oasis, "Stay Young"

Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    yeah agree with Monk, it isn't exactly that there is daylight between McG and the rest
    Agree McGrath was never a great death bowler, although he improved towards end of his career. There were phases of his career where he wasn't even used in last 5 overs. He might be the best bowler in the first 10 overs though.

McGrath would usually come back for 2 or 3 overs in the last 10. But yeah, he would usually bowl at least 6 to 7 overs up front.

As opposed to someone like Wasim. Quite often Wasim would bowl 4 or 5 overs in the last 10.

U19 Vice-Captain
    pace- brett lee
    spin - warne

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Yeah I'd take Migara's top four. The Klusener spot is the only one I'd probably have a bigger think about.
    Depends on whom you are looking at. I selected a fine batting #8 in Pollock, but he is a more bowler than batsman, so I could do with Klusener at 7. If I have selected some one like Garner as third seamer who is a rabbit with the bat, I would select Kallis to cover the holes in the batting abilities but retain quality with the ball.
    Supporting players: Dinesh Chandimal, Roshen Silva, Kusal Janith, Nuwan Pradeep, Kasun Rajitha, Lahiru Kumara, Akila Dhananjaya, Dhananjaya de Silva

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Migara View Post
    Depends on whom you are looking at. I selected a fine batting #8 in Pollock, but he is a more bowler than batsman, so I could do with Klusener at 7. If I have selected some one like Garner as third seamer who is a rabbit with the bat, I would select Kallis to cover the holes in the batting abilities but retain quality with the ball.
    It's a tricky one, I'd probably look at a variety of going Klusener, Kallis at #3, Shakib, Flintoff and maybe Cairns if he wasn't a cheat.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hill View Post
    I'd hardly go that far. I'd say they are pretty comparable. He's not "easily better" than any of them. And if he is, I'd like to hear your reasoning.

I like a good bowling combo. With what I have I get:

Garner- ball delivered from ten feet, yorkers, incredibly accurate and economical.
    Donald- skiddy deliveries, great strike power, actual express pace
    Wasim- left arm swing and serious pace.
    Warne- prefer a leggie over an offie most of the time but Murali is fine by me.
    Flintoff probably is the ideal 5th bowler/#7 batsman.
    The average, RPO (which should be adjusted to the era), bowling to the best ODI batsmen in the history has ever seen (and making them look like foolish), and longevity. Beats Garner hands down. Only Wasim, Donald, Pollock, Lee, Bond and few others could boast of such performances. I would easily select Kapil Dev, Abdul Razzaq and Kaliis over Flintoff as replacements (latter should be batting higher up and allowing someone like Dhoni to bat at #7, who is light years ahead of Flintoff as a finisher, former two better with the bat and unbelievably destructive as well) or select a batting heavy all rounder like Symonds or Klusener. Since I have enough death bowlers, I only need defensive bowlers to bowl at middle.

My all time XI would be,
    Jayasuriya, Tendulkar, Richards, AB Devilliers, Bevan, Dhoni, Klusener, Pollock, Wasim, Murali and McGrath.

At his pomp Jayasuriya was a magnificient death bowler as well. Kohli and Mathews wiull be replacing some of the above names if they can perform the way they are doing now. There is always be Gilly over Jaya argument, but Dhoni + Jayasuriya > Dhoni + Gilly for a side IMO.

I think Shoaib Akhter was an honorable mention

Evil Scotsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    I'd pick Flintoff. Easily the best all rounder there's been in ODIs.
    Prince EWS likes this.

Mahjong Champion! 3 Card Poker Champion!
    Well I went for other.......Nathan Bracken
    Keep Your Feet on The Ground,Keep Reaching for The Stars!

Cricketer Of The Year kingkallis's Avatar
    Can we really compare Garner and Ambrose and Malinga who bowled in different eras? In 70s and 80s they were happy with 50 from last 10. In 90s it was more like 70 from last 10 and now you can hammer 100 off 10 if you play well so I doubt we can compare players from 70s and 80s.

To me, the bowler who has bowled well @ the death in last 15 years is better.
    CricZo XI - Draft Dashboard

15 Golds | 14 Silvers

Scorecard Draft - 2010 | Alphabetical Draft - 2011 | The Eras Draft - 2014 | All Time Australia Draft - 2016 | All England Draft - 2016 | Draft By Nation - 2016 | Dual 00-10 Draft - 2017 | Dual 80-90 Draft - 2017 | Silent Auction Draft - 2018 | We are NOT #1 - 2018 | Centuries Draft - 2018 | ODI Partnership Draft - 2018 | Chain Draft - 2018

All Time Trading Game - 2016 | ICC Sim League VI - 2018

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information