• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Bowler in the death overs of ODI

Best Death Bowler

• Joel Garner

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Wasim Akram

• Glenn McGrath

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Curtly Ambrose

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Allan Donald

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Lasith Malinga

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • Other

• Total voters

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Definitely Malinga, woulda had a lot more wickets if the two new balls rule didn't exist in the last few years.

Athlai

Not Terrible
No he wasn't. Flintoff c.2007 was the best death bowler in the world by a long way.

Bloke's just criminally under-rated in ODIs in general.
Malinga, Bond and McGrath were all pretty good then as well. The death was also easier to bowl in at 2007. Flintoff should probably be on the list but I don't think he is in the top 5 death bowlers ever.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I reckon the ideal bowling line up for an ATG odi side is...

Garner
Donald
Wasim
Warne
Kapil/Klusener/Flintoff

Garner and Wasim both guns at the death.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Narine and Ajmal were right up there, ****ing impossible to play at times.

Too bad though.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
I reckon the ideal bowling line up for an ATG odi side is...

Garner
Donald
Wasim
Warne
Kapil/Klusener/Flintoff

Garner and Wasim both guns at the death.
McGrath is easily better than any one of above. Murali and Saqlain qualifies over Warne. Pollock to be the third seamer.

McGrath
Wasim
Pollock
Murali
Klusener

Athlai

Not Terrible
Yeah I'd take Migara's top four. The Klusener spot is the only one I'd probably have a bigger think about.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
McGrath is easily better than any one of above
I'd hardly go that far. I'd say they are pretty comparable. He's not "easily better" than any of them. And if he is, I'd like to hear your reasoning.

I like a good bowling combo. With what I have I get:

Garner- ball delivered from ten feet, yorkers, incredibly accurate and economical.
Donald- skiddy deliveries, great strike power, actual express pace
Wasim- left arm swing and serious pace.
Warne- prefer a leggie over an offie most of the time but Murali is fine by me.
Flintoff probably is the ideal 5th bowler/#7 batsman.

andmark

International Captain
I'd go with Malinga for the obvious effectiveness of his yorker.

Although he's not the best ever, I think Alfonso Thomas deserves a mention for his work in the English county circuit. When he bowls in the death, he always seems to be thinking an extra step ahead even against great players like Shahid Afridi. Underrated death bowler, even if he isn't deserving to be mentioned in the ranks of the Malingas, McGraths and Garners.

Debris

International 12th Man
yeah agree with Monk, it isn't exactly that there is daylight between McG and the rest
Agree McGrath was never a great death bowler, although he improved towards end of his career. There were phases of his career where he wasn't even used in last 5 overs. He might be the best bowler in the first 10 overs though.

smash84

The Tiger King
McGrath would usually come back for 2 or 3 overs in the last 10. But yeah, he would usually bowl at least 6 to 7 overs up front.

As opposed to someone like Wasim. Quite often Wasim would bowl 4 or 5 overs in the last 10.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah I'd take Migara's top four. The Klusener spot is the only one I'd probably have a bigger think about.
Depends on whom you are looking at. I selected a fine batting #8 in Pollock, but he is a more bowler than batsman, so I could do with Klusener at 7. If I have selected some one like Garner as third seamer who is a rabbit with the bat, I would select Kallis to cover the holes in the batting abilities but retain quality with the ball.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Depends on whom you are looking at. I selected a fine batting #8 in Pollock, but he is a more bowler than batsman, so I could do with Klusener at 7. If I have selected some one like Garner as third seamer who is a rabbit with the bat, I would select Kallis to cover the holes in the batting abilities but retain quality with the ball.
It's a tricky one, I'd probably look at a variety of going Klusener, Kallis at #3, Shakib, Flintoff and maybe Cairns if he wasn't a cheat.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd hardly go that far. I'd say they are pretty comparable. He's not "easily better" than any of them. And if he is, I'd like to hear your reasoning.

I like a good bowling combo. With what I have I get:

Garner- ball delivered from ten feet, yorkers, incredibly accurate and economical.
Donald- skiddy deliveries, great strike power, actual express pace
Wasim- left arm swing and serious pace.
Warne- prefer a leggie over an offie most of the time but Murali is fine by me.
Flintoff probably is the ideal 5th bowler/#7 batsman.
The average, RPO (which should be adjusted to the era), bowling to the best ODI batsmen in the history has ever seen (and making them look like foolish), and longevity. Beats Garner hands down. Only Wasim, Donald, Pollock, Lee, Bond and few others could boast of such performances. I would easily select Kapil Dev, Abdul Razzaq and Kaliis over Flintoff as replacements (latter should be batting higher up and allowing someone like Dhoni to bat at #7, who is light years ahead of Flintoff as a finisher, former two better with the bat and unbelievably destructive as well) or select a batting heavy all rounder like Symonds or Klusener. Since I have enough death bowlers, I only need defensive bowlers to bowl at middle.

My all time XI would be,
Jayasuriya, Tendulkar, Richards, AB Devilliers, Bevan, Dhoni, Klusener, Pollock, Wasim, Murali and McGrath.

At his pomp Jayasuriya was a magnificient death bowler as well. Kohli and Mathews wiull be replacing some of the above names if they can perform the way they are doing now. There is always be Gilly over Jaya argument, but Dhoni + Jayasuriya > Dhoni + Gilly for a side IMO.