• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your World XI for 2014

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I am pissed tbf. But you know, don't be a ****

England are the first best team in the world, except all the better ones, tbf. ****

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
No idea what a closed was injury is just so we're clear. So I may have suffered one

Ps Jono and Sledger are both wankers

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Big problem with finding a better pure keeper than Sarfraz is that there haven't been too many good batsman-keepers this year. De Villiers hasn't kept all that much this year and he's been underwhelming this year (though in fairness he batted very well against Australia), Watling's been OK but probably not quite World XI standard, and who else? Yes Sarfraz was poor against New Zealand, but I don't think he was that bad against Australia?
Watling was part of a world record partnership this year and has been superb with the gloves to both spinners and pace bowlers. Unless AB is taking the gloves it has to be him.

I understand your point, but he *is* significantly better than anyone else when he plays. The worst thing you can say about a Harris spell is he went for bugger all runs when the ball wasn't doing much and still asked questions of the batsmen. Aside from Steyn, he'd be first bowler I would pick.
He's only played at home this year though, hasn't he? I mean I rate him and all but he has had the benefit of being picked and rotated when injury concerns have been an issue and missing the UAE tour must be good for any bowlers stats.

There are other bowlers that have done more this year.

Spark

Global Moderator
Watling was part of a world record partnership this year and has been superb with the gloves to both spinners and pace bowlers. Unless AB is taking the gloves it has to be him.

He's only played at home this year though, hasn't he? I mean I rate him and all but he has had the benefit of being picked and rotated when injury concerns have been an issue and missing the UAE tour must be good for any bowlers stats.

There are other bowlers that have done more this year.
He sort of won us a series in SA...

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nah he played the whole home ashes series then in SA as well where he bowled us to victory late in one of the tests iirc.

My point is I rate him that highly that he has to be in my XI. If Steyn missed half SA's tests, I'd still name him. They're both that good from where I sit. All opinion, obvs.

Flem274*

123/5
Steyn and Harris are my first two names as well. Glory boy Johnson gets all the press but Rhino is the rock in that attack and Australia will miss him more.

Harris is such a clinical destroyer of batting line ups on any deck.

Johnson is my third seamer and Southee is first reserve.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
He sort of won us a series in SA...

true that

Nah he played the whole home ashes series then in SA as well where he bowled us to victory late in one of the tests iirc.

My point is I rate him that highly that he has to be in my XI. If Steyn missed half SA's tests, I'd still name him. They're both that good from where I sit. All opinion, obvs.
Yeah he just doesn't ever bowl a bad spell, does he?

Fantastic bowler. I'd still go Steyn-Southee-Johnson-Herath for variety reasons and because it's a 2014 team, I think those guys have done more. Gotta put some type of value on the breakthrough period it's been for Johnson and Southee and that means Harris has to miss out. He is probably a better bowler than those two in the purest of terms but that's no what the thread is about.

Flem274*

123/5
This thread is about who has been the best in 2014 and it's been Steyn, Harris and Johnson with Southee in fourth. He's been unlucky not to get a chance to bowl at South Africa and put on as important a performance in world cricket context as Harris and the Left Arm Secret Spud.

Ironically enough Southee's worst series statistics wise was where he was at his best and made the big breakthroughs. His average in the UAE in no way reflects his importance to the 1-1 draw.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
An important performance in a 1-1 draw in the UAE as a pace bowler is at least as impressive as one in South Africa, if not more.

Burgey

Have to say Southee's been immense this year. Not in anyway disrespecting him by raving about Harris. He'd be well in the argument for inclusion. Personally I'd leave MJ out before Harris, but I get where Hendrix is coming from re a bit of variety too.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Interested to see what people think the spuddiest XI of the year would look like?

1. Alastair Cooking Spuds
2. Hamish Rutherspud
3. Cheteshwar Spudara
4. Alviro Spuddersen
5. Spud Watson
6. Ravinder Spudeja (check bowling)
7. Brad Spuddin (based on batting alone)
8. Ish Spuddi
9. Vernan Spudlander
10. Mohammad Spudi
11. Nuwan Spudeep

All bowlers have averaged more than 40 during 2014. Perhaps the harshest inclusion is Cooking Spuds up top. Tried to only include batsmen who'd played a decent number of games this year.

EDIT: Plenty of batting and bowling to fail for you in that line-up. Very surprised to see how 'bad' a year Philander has had.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Spudeed Ajmal worth a mention for chucking so hard that the testers had to get out a protractor to figure out just how much he was over the limit.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Imo Brathwaite deserves a spot in this team...three tons in three consecutive series and is averaging near 90 this year.

Zinzan

Imo Brathwaite deserves a spot in this team...three tons in three consecutive series and is averaging near 90 this year.
Problem is he's not going to out-do Warner with 6 tons & McCullum with a triple, 2 doubles & a 195 in terms of openers. It's the scoring rate Warner & McCullum score at that makes their runs so much more valuable vs. their opponents.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Actually thought about including him, but there are more players who had a better year. And he's averaging 77, not nearly 90 (unless 13 counts as a 'nearly' length gap) but whatever eh? Good numbers, helped by a double tonne vs Bangladesh and missed a few games but he didn't dominate proceedings like some of the other players mentioned. Going by your description Joe Root would 'deserve' a spot as well.