• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

My passion for first-class Cricket

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah ofcourse. But day night tests just make complete sense. Probably wouldnt need them for all the test matches but if a useable ball is found i really dont many downsides.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
The pink ball has been used quite effectively AFAIK. It is more a matter of will than any thing to get the ball rolling on day night tests, really.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah ofcourse. But day night tests just make complete sense. Probably wouldnt need them for all the test matches but if a useable ball is found i really dont many downsides.
I can see why it would work in Aus but not something I would want to see in England.

cnerd123

likes this
The pink ball has been used quite effectively AFAIK. It is more a matter of will than any thing to get the ball rolling on day night tests, really.
The ball is actually a pretty big issue:

The good and bad of the pink ball | cricket.com.au
Pink or orange ball? A grey area for day-night Test cricket | The National
BBC - Alison Mitchell: Pink ball experiment gets mixed reaction

Concerns are it might lead to dull cricket.
Needs more trials and tweaking till its ready to adopt in Tests I think.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Point is the ball issue has been there for a while now and if there was will involved, they would have solved it by now. It is not so difficult to find a right cricket ball ffs. Also, the issues listed in the county game link are not major ones imo. It didn't swing as much. Well it was in the UAE, duh. The ball was a bit softer. The ball could have been a bit brighter. These are not issues which are unsolvable. Fact that a 4 day game went about and a few players were quite fine with the day night cricket experience is more of a positive more than any thing.

I heard Boycott speak on this topic few months back in one of the cricinfo podcasts and I was happy to see he was also wanting day night tests to come up as soon as possible, at least partially, is the need of the hour more than a fascinating thing which would be wonderful. Else T20 cricket will just move ahead in the priority of most players who can earn top dollar at it.

cnerd123

likes this
Point is the ball issue has been there for a while now and if there was will involved, they would have solved it by now. It is not so difficult to find a right cricket ball ffs.
But that's not how science works! We'd have the cure to cancer if that were the case.

Not major issues but it needs more trials at domestic level before we bring it into tests. And to get domestic trials you need to get those teams on board. Boycott's view on the issue counts for nothing.

I expect we'll see a day-night test in the next few years, don't see the need to rush it.

Swingpanzee

International Regular
Say what? I've heard it loses the ability to swing way quicker, seam wears off quicker, reverse will be extinct more or less (? can't confirm for sure but I'm pretty sure I've read that somewhere on cricinfo) and in general quick run scoring is difficult, and taking wickets is difficult as well. The cricket might turn out to be godawfully boring. It's not so easy as just "having the will".

Boundary

Cricket Spectator
How proud I was to be in Lord’s watching my country play a test in the game’s home. How astonished I am that we are genuinely competing. I never in my wildest dreams thought I’d see this.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Great thread, handed out a bunch of likes. Good work and welcome back, Boundary. Hope your boys can finish the job today.

That said, if you'd posted this a few years later, you'd have been met with a barrage of 'Ok's.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Oh he's just referencing how the forum has become a bit more desiccated and sardonic over time. Fewer earnest and sincere folks have stuck around in recent years to put a bit of moisture back into its soil, I suppose slightly wary of the expertise built up by the hermits and shut-ins who watch a lot of cricket.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Oh he's just referencing how the forum has become a bit more desiccated and sardonic over time. Fewer earnest and sincere folks have stuck around in recent years to put a bit of moisture back into its soil, I suppose slightly wary of the expertise built up by the hermits and shut-ins who watch a lot of cricket.
ok