• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

My passion for first-class Cricket

Boundary

Cricket Spectator
My passion for test Cricket

Cricket, in its first-class form, is an oddity. If it were a person, she would be socially awkward. Unsure of herself. Painfully shy, struggling and ultimately failing to fit in with a new group. Over time, she is given a chance by an understanding few who take the time to have a few words with her. They show patience, and in a while, she is seen for what she is. A hidden gem. Fascinating, genuinely likable, and her eccentricities only endear her more to those who have bothered to get to know her. Those who haven't simply mock her for her unusual ways, and her less than glamorous appearance. As is the way with today's world, many hidden gems are rarely bothered with. They are mocked, as are those who have taken the time. When you're from Ireland, loving cricket is genuinely frowned upon. I am Catholic, proudly Irish and working class, but I love something as thoroughly un-Irish as the game of Cricket. And while the situation has improved, that applies mainly to the field of Twenty20 Cricket, or the limited overs game. The county and test arenas remain completely misunderstood.

I do not fear for cricket's future. Twenty20 is thriving. However, I see the game of Twenty20 as a completely different sport to the one I love. I don't hate it, but its not something that I'd follow in anything other than a casual capacity. Much like Rugby and Soccer. I see it as the antithesis of what I love about first-class cricket, but that's not an example of bashing the shortened game. Truth be told, pretty much every sport represents that same antithesis. What match lasts any longer than a day in any other sport, let alone five? How first-class cricket has made it this far is in itself remarkable. It belongs to a different era, like many things. Twenty20's success provides me with no comfort. It simply reminds me of how different I am, how far I have fallen behind the times. The world left me struggling to keep up a long time ago. Soon, I fear the same will happen to a game that draws many parallels with myself. I am shy, unsure, ultimately different. Those who have taken the time to get to know me seem to like me. Some love me. But it takes a lot of time to get to know me. It takes a lot of time to get to know first-class cricket. I'm glad I took the time.

In the grand scheme of things, first class cricket, and test cricket in particular, is somewhat unremarkable. It coasts along most of the time. But I never feel bored. Because it is its constant threat that makes this game truly special. It can burst into life without warning, and generally does. These flashes are the culmination of a period of intense, slow burning tension. It is the reward for those who give this special game a chance. It takes on a new life, before cooling down to its usual simmer again. It develops. It constantly intrigues. It poses questions, and keeps those who have been posed the question in suspense. It is a epic drama among shorter, snappier, more accessible productions. But ultimately, it is an oddity.

The Christmas period is arguably my favorite of them all in cricketing terms. I always take some time off work to gorge on the offerings of the 'Boxing Day' tests. Right now, I am struggling to contain my excitement ahead of the continuation of India and Australia's already fascinating series, and I will also pay close attention to the happenings in South Africa. Even a test match between Bangladesh and Zimbabwe is infinitely more appealing to me than a limited overs clash between Australia and England. Maybe I am not a true cricket fan, as I do not love the game in all its forms. But that's the way it is.

However, more and more often, test cricket is being hosted in virtually empty stadiums. I enjoyed watching the action unfold between New Zealand and the Windies over the summer in the Carribean, but I remain astounded at how this once great cricketing empire now plays host to the game's purest form in practically empty stadiums. Bar the thrill of an Ashes summer, it seems that only England, and to a lesser extent South Africa and Australia, are capable of hosting test matches in front of respectable numbers. I do not know if it can be fixed, or if it is just the way the world is going. I fear the latter. Looking at what is happening in India at the moment, I see no future for the first class game there, as it is overtaken by its trendier brother. Comforting statements like 'nothing beats test cricket' are little more than that. The fact is, test cricket is taking a hammering, and that shows no sign of changing.

I will keep watching, and continue to be enthralled. Although I do not know for how much longer people will be joining me.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Welcome to the forum. Test cricket and first class cricket are lovely, aye. I am glad a bit more Indian first class cricket is being broadcast on tv now. Whenever I get the chance, I go to Eden Gardens to watch a first class game. It truly is wonderful watching cricket and reading about it.

Boundary

Cricket Spectator
Welcome to the forum. Test cricket and first class cricket are lovely, aye. I am glad a bit more Indian first class cricket is being broadcast on tv now. Whenever I get the chance, I go to Eden Gardens to watch a first class game. It truly is wonderful watching cricket and reading about it.
It's good to hear that first class cricket is getting more exposure on television in India. What is the overall situation like at the moment? I have been getting the impression, whether rightly or wrongly, that Twenty20 has almost entirely engulfed the first class game in India, which saddens me. Is it still seen as the pinnacle? Or are young cricketers simply hoping to make it in the limited overs arena?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
First Class cricket has never got any attention from the authorities. The stituation of first class cricket in our country is terrible tbh. There are around 30 teams and with so many players and no real tier system, the spread of quality is quite average. Add to it, the wickets are mostly flat. So batsmen keep piling the runs. Then, when you have a wicket which does even a bit, the batsmen are not able to cope at all.

In the 90s, whenever I asked the players, most of them were looking to play ODI cricket and not tests as that is where the stardom and the money was there. I doubt the situation is very different right now. Barring a few exceptions - the best of the best players, I wouldn't be surprised if most just want to be big T20 stars and make a lot of money.

Last edited:

brockley

International Captain
Pujara should stick to first class cricket awful in t20,should continue to play in England.
I think first class cricket is for diehard fans,altho genuine sport fans keep an eye on the scores and news.Especially now we have twitter.

Welcome Boundary.:)

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Welcome to CW Boundary and I concur with others comments that yours was a sensational opening post :)

I think you're gonna love this place........this is where the true die hard cricket fans hang out and the vast majority of us all favour test cricket over limited overs. You'll notice that even our members from the sub continent (where it would be fair to say test cricket is struggling the most against LO) are predominantly test match fans.

I'm looking forward to hearing your take on Ireland's potential test future and there is a current thread on the topic here Also what you think of my lot (ECB) pinching your best players :ph34r:

Boundary

Cricket Spectator
Welcome to CW Boundary and I concur with others comments that yours was a sensational opening post :)

I think you're gonna love this place........this is where the true die hard cricket fans hang out and the vast majority of us all favour test cricket over limited overs. You'll notice that even our members from the sub continent (where it would be fair to say test cricket is struggling the most against LO) are predominantly test match fans.

I'm looking forward to hearing your take on Ireland's potential test future and there is a current thread on the topic here Also what you think of my lot (ECB) pinching your best players :ph34r:
Thanks Adders :)

It's good to hear that I am among people who have similar views on the game to me. I will be happy to contribute towards the thread on Ireland's test future, and I think people will find my views interesting! And I will also have my say on the ECB ;) maybe I will contribute to that discussion tomorrow!

Swingpanzee

International Regular
First Class cricket has never got any attention from the authorities. The stituation of first class cricket in our country is terrible tbh. There are around 30 teams and with so many players and no real tier system, the spread of quality is quite average. Add to it, the wickets are mostly flat. So batsmen keep piling the runs. Then, when you have a wicket which does even a bit, the batsmen are not able to cope at all.
I just watch the Ranji Trophy sporadically and FMD the cricket is so boring. The pitches are awful....flat, extremely low bounce. The system is shambolic and unorganized, and in general Indian cricket has a very poor bench strength really.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
The answer for test match crowds is just so easy - Day/night test matches always scheduled to start on a thursday. Piss simple. One day in the future we Will be scratching our heads wondering why we didnt start trying sooner. Look how popular day ODIs are now...

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Pink is what is being tried right now but I could care less what ball (workable) is used as long as day night cricket happens finally.