• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ADEPT OR DIE(the death of test cricket)

test cricketer

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Warren deutrom ceo of ireland cricket i think said that crickets greatest problem is it doesnt want change he then proceeded to say that generally you have to adept in order to survive in this world i love test cricket for me its the pinnacle of the game and no matter how many sixes and how much excitement t20s have to offer it will never match the beauty of a dale steyn or james anderson swinging the ball round corners or mitchell johnson bowling at 150 clicks and having batsmen hopping around with the crowd firmly behind him or a spinner weaving his magic with an umbrella of fielders around the batsmen on the fifth day with oos and ahs following every ball but alas as much as i may love test cricket i am one of the few who still does and if test cricket wants to stay relevant it needs to change because if it doesnt its exctinction is a matter of when not if

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Warren deutrom ceo of ireland cricket i think said that crickets greatest problem is it doesnt want change he then proceeded to say that generally you have to adept in order to survive in this world i love test cricket for me its the pinnacle of the game and no matter how many sixes and how much excitement t20s have to offer it will never match the beauty of a dale steyn or james anderson swinging the ball round corners or mitchell johnson bowling at 150 clicks and having batsmen hopping around with the crowd firmly behind him or a spinner weaving his magic with an umbrella of fielders around the batsmen on the fifth day with oos and ahs following every ball but alas as much as i may love test cricket i am one of the few who still does and if test cricket wants to stay relevant it needs to change because if it doesnt its exctinction is a matter of when not if
Terrible punctuation in this post - A full stop can be your best friend.

That aside,

The only thing it needs is a play off series for best in the world every four years. After much thinking I wouldn't have any semis. Just start everyone on 0 points at the beginning of the four years - use a complex weighting system to account for the fact that some teams will play fewer tests than others, and then just have number 1 play number 2 at the end in England. Unless England qualify then do it in some neutral territory. Best out of three match series. Winner takes all. Will be epic.

When England toured here there was a sold out basin reserve test, I imagine even SL will draw big numbers.

What I do think hurts is that there isn't big TV contracts available for some series - but if the rankings meant more then more people would tune in. And having a championship would add more value.

TNT

Banned
The best thing they could do to improve test matches is to do away with the toss and give the visiting team the choice of batting or bowling first, this will ensure that pitches are made for cricket.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
The best thing they could do to improve test matches is to do away with the toss and give the visiting team the choice of batting or bowling first, this will ensure that pitches are made for cricket.
Yeah I like that.

It is kind of weird because you would think that a toss does force the home country into preparing good pitches. But they way they think is they prepare pitches we they can exploit better if they win the toss.
They would probably have some management scientist do a probability calculation -

So the equation of the Kiwis preparing green tops against SL will look something like this...

(Probability of winning toss X Chance of dismissing SL cheaply) - (Probability of losing toss X probability of Kiwis being dismissed cheaply)

= and these are my numbers

(0.5*0.7)-(0.5X0.6)=0.05

Because this is a positive number you will win more games over the long run by preparing green strips vs SL at home if you are the blackcaps.

TNT

Banned
It will also help the visiting team selecting their bowlers, if they want to bat first then go with two spinners, bowling first the add the extra seamer. It will only make home teams produce better wickets and tighter results.

test cricketer

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Adept or die(part 2)

Improvement of tests
1.more competitiveness one of the reasons why the epl is such a great league is because it is a competitive league because the epl distrubetes tv money eqauly if cricket wants competitiveness the distrubution of cash has to be eqaul
2. A good pitch has movement for the fast bowlers on the 1st day it gradually flattens out on days 2 to 3 then wears and suits spinners on days 4 and 5
3.variety is the spice of life test cricket should not be so limited instead there should be way more test teams i propose a division system the good teams in the first the average teams in the second with promotion relegation then we expand the divisions over time
4.test cricket world cup
5.day night tests
6.better advertisment of test cricket
7.bring test cricket to public tv
8.icc stop being greedy do what's best for the game

TNT

Banned
Test cricket is limited to several nations, people need to understand the huge amount of resources required to hold a five day test match compared to a three hour football match.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I have generally found that being adept at things is useful to your long-term survival in that field.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Now, that's a good post in a bad thread.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Can a mod change "adept" to "adapt" in the thread title? It's really annoying me.
Not necessarily inappropriate though - the fact that all playing Test cricket currently are not adept at what they do is a serious issue, and would be the more so if those from the Emerald Isle were given Test status

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Warren Deutrom has an agenda - one I am sympathetic towards but still an agenda. As already stated every year for the past 100 years people have been declaring the death of Test cricket. It will be fine.

Test cricket may not be in great financial shape all over the world but it is a healthy product. The 50s were the nadir for Test cricket with slow scoring, gentlemen's agreements on aggressive bowling and flat tracks. We currently have quick scoring, quick bowling. Just need to guarantee sporting decks. Flat decks hurt cricket a lot, causing too many draws in which average batsmen inflate their averages by playing innings of no value. :ph34r:

Niall

International Coach
I have never been to NZ and South Africa, but I always feel those are the 2 countries that would benefit most from day/night cricket, their definitely seems to be an interest obviously not the same as England and Australia but I'd like to think you'd get a decent few people who would pop in after work.Hopefully we make some progress their.

Test championship is a nice idea, but I can't see it ever happening.