• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ajmal Action Reported

jonbrooks

International Debutant
Is that the guy that had a bent arm throughout his action and the difference between his bent arm at the start of his action and his bent arm at release was less that 15 degrees?
Nope, Muralitharan has a normal legal action. It's just that he chucks his doosra and his big off break. Don't confuse a flawed action with chucking.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Thank goodness for that link posted by Brumby. If SL is to become a mainstream cricketing nation and not remain a pariah more to be pitied than despised, they need to rid themselves of the cancer of chucking ASAP.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Indeed, noted test spinner/test squad member/tainter Sachithra Senanayake rather undermines the legitimacy of our recent success :p

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Never heard of James Kirtley then?
He looked downright ugly than many od the other reported bar Shabbit Ahmed and Perera.

And bloody useless too. Losing him makes no loss to England. What would be better to compare is the relative importance to the reported bowler to the team , big 3 vs non-big 3.

Last edited:

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
He looked downright ugly than many od the other reported bar Shabbit Ahmed and Perera.

And bloody useless too. Losing him makes no loss to England. What would be better to compare is the relative importance to the reported bowler to the team , big 3 vs non-big 3.
What a nonsense stat that would be. For the simple reason that, by and large, the "Big 3" haven't relied on bowlers who chuck. Leaving England (my team) aside, for whom Kirtley is the obvious transgressor, I have no particular fondness for either of the other "big 3" teams. Yet I can't think of a single Aussie chucker since the days of Lindwall and Meckiff, and nor can I think of any Indian chuckers at all (possible that Harbhajan might have hurled one or two, but I've no clear recollection of it).

91Jmay

International Coach

He was tested loads, thus blowing away the nonsense that non of the Big 3 ever get tested. Name an important English bowler who should be tested then?

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
He was tested loads, thus blowing away the nonsense that non of the Big 3 ever get tested. Name an important English bowler who should be tested then?
Test all of them. Don't need flawed human eye to decide what is dodgy and what is not. Blanket test everyone with their effort balls as well. The current selection protocol of deliveries to reproduce at the tests is not clear and highly suspicious of manipulation.

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
Same would be for people thought McGrath's, Pollock's, Anderson's or Steyn's as well.
None of those bowlers have anything like the same controversy surrounding their actions as what Murali does. It's a shame because I think he's a great guy for what he's done for all cricket. He was however given a platform due to his unique delivery action.

indiaholic

International Captain
Test all of them. Don't need flawed human eye to decide what is dodgy and what is not. Blanket test everyone with their effort balls as well. The current selection protocol of deliveries to reproduce at the tests is not clear and highly suspicious of manipulation.
While I agree that testing everybody would be the best thing to do, I don't think ICC currently has the resources to do that. Till that time, testing the players who look like they are chucking seems to be an acceptable solution. And Migara do you seriously believe that someone has an agenda against the smaller test playing nations? This just undermines your intellect and credibility. And as for McGrath or Pollock chucking, what specific deliveries are you referring to? Ftr I don't think Murali chucked every ball but some of the hard spun doosras did look very dodgy. I know I can't trust my eyes in these matters but testing for chucking was in a nascent stage and I am prepared to accept the possibility that Murali may have got away due to the inability of the technology to replicate match conditions in labs..

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
"highly suspicious of manipulation"

Oops. Should be as highly susceptible for manipulation.

Spark

Global Moderator
Nope, Muralitharan has a normal legal action. It's just that he chucks his doosra and his big off break. Don't confuse a flawed action with chucking.
There is no sense in which Murali's action or bowling in general was "normal".

andmark

International Captain
"The big 3" nations don't have the history or culture of off spin bowling on the scale that Sri Lanka does. Thus it's natural that because there's more (rather unorthodox) offies from SL; so more Sri Lankans are to be reported. To say it's a conspiracy of the top 3 nations is sheer nonsense.

I think there's a problem with people over reacting when they are reported as well. If you insist on bowling deliveries with a bent arm, then you should surely accept that you're putting yourself in the firing line to be reported. If we take the Senanayake example, when he was reported Angelo Mathews said:"I think when you travel to some parts of the world and people find a certain bowler difficult to handle they tend to report" source: BBC Sport - England's struggle led to Sachithra Senanayake report - Mathews . This sort of nonsense over reaction (of course Senanayake was found to have been chucking) can only put pressure on the umpires to not to report chuckers which defeats the object of their officiating.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
. And Migara do you seriously believe that someone has an agenda against the smaller test playing nations? This just undermines your intellect and credibility.
It's not probable, but not possible. The process can be manipulated to target certain bowlers. That is why I ask for a universal transparent protocol on selection criteria on which of the deliveries to reproduce.

And as for McGrath or Pollock chucking, what specific deliveries are you referring to? Ftr I don't think Murali chucked every ball but some of the hard spun doosras did look very dodgy. I know I can't trust my eyes in these matters but testing for chucking was in a nascent stage and I am prepared to accept the possibility that Murali may have got away due to the inability of the technology to replicate match conditions in labs..
Bingo. Same applies to McGrath as well. Since McGrath don't have a fixed flexion deformity, his action will look less dodgier than that of Murali at the same level of extension. There is every chance that McGrath's effort balls did go over the limit, as you postulate about Murali.. And I think you are prepared to accept that McG have got away due to the inability of the human eye to detect extension correctly.