• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ajmal vs Herath

The better bowler

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

smash84

The Tiger King
With another Pakistan SL test series to start tomorrow and spin expected to take center stage I was wondering who is the better spinner of the two? Having followed Ajmal closely (and not having followed Herath much) I had a strong bias in favor of Ajmal. Having read some of the posts regarding herath over the past year I am not sure though. So who do you think is the better of the two bowlers? Any particular reasons why you rate one higher than the other?

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Ajmal for me becsie he forces things to happen. Herath is incredibly skilled with his flight and variations, and if ajmal had that would have been the greatest spinner in cricket.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Herath for me. Love his changes in flight and his arm ball is one of the best I've seen. Has had superb performances in Australia and South Africa in addition to home conditions. Quality performer who's kept Sri Lanka afloat since Murali retired.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Herath the more consistent bowler in all conditions, would have loved it if Ajmal played more in Eng/SA/Aus/NZ though. Also Herath has arguably carried a bigger burden than Ajmal so I'd say he edges him out slightly

watson

Banned
Herath appears to be let down somewhat by his Away figures;

Herath
Home
Tests = 29
Wickets = 148
Ave = 25
SR = 57

Away
Tests = 20
Wickets = 65
Ave = 40
SR = 81

Ajmal
Home (Neutral)
Tests = 12
Wickets = 67
Ave = 26
SR = 65

Away
Tests = 21
Wickets = 102
Ave = 28
SR = 62

cnerd123

likes this
Ajmal for me by a large margin. Herath can, and has been, sat on by the batsmen looking to shut up shop. Ajmal cannot. Ajmal can also keep an end tight just as well as Herath. Herath's best spells came when batsmen didn't think too highly of him - when he has been treated with the respect he deserves his figures haven't been so good. Ajmal is constantly viewed as a threat, constantly played as such, and yet constantly gets batsmen out.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Herath appears to be let down somewhat by his Away figures;

Herath
Home
Tests = 29
Wickets = 148
Ave = 25
SR = 57

Away
Tests = 20
Wickets = 65
Ave = 40
SR = 81

Ajmal
Home (Neutral)
Tests = 12
Wickets = 67
Ave = 26
SR = 65

Away
Tests = 21
Wickets = 102
Ave = 28
SR = 62
Has Ajmal even toured England and Australia yet? I know he toured SA and did brilliantly in one game where he almost won the match. Herath on the other hand, won a game for SL in SA, was excellent in Australia but was let down by a dozen dropped catches and did a good job in England as well.

Agree that Ajmal us a more constant threat though.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Ajmal had a good little tour of England in 2010 I think, has played one game in both Aus and NZ

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Herath can, and has been, sat on by the batsmen looking to shut up shop.
This is only a very recent phenomenon. Maybe the past 3 or so tests.

For the last couple of years he's been both threatening and economical.

Jassy

Banned
If you consider just the overall averages excluding Bangladesh and Zimbabwe, there's only a couple of points in it in their overall average.

Ajmal: 53 innings, 140 wickets@28.19 with 8 fivers
Herath : 87 innings, 212 wickets@30.98 with 16 fivers

Ajmal's got a ten for more but 6/8 fivers against these sides have come in losses; clearly not a match winner :ph34r:

Herath has played more vs the likes of Australia (8 tests vs 1) and has played vs India/in India as well(against a rampant Sehwag and an Indian line up in top form) whereas Ajmal has never played India.

Have a look at it country by country.

Vs Aus - Ajmal 111.50, just one match; Herath 29.92
vs Eng - Ajmal 19.61, Herath 30.03
Vs NZ - Ajmal 58.50, just one match; Herath 19.58
vs SA - Ajmal 32.53, Herath 27.72
Vs WI - Ajmal 14.47, Herath 43.50

It is far from clear cut tbh, if anything you could argue Ajmal has benefited from not playing the likes of Australia more. Away from home is a similar story and there's hardly anything meaningful there...Ajmal has played just 1 match in Australia in which he was pretty horrible. While 1 match means nothing, Herath had a decent series there last time. In SA, Herath was better and Ajmal better in England. Aside from that, Herath has played India in India and I can bet Ajmal would have been tonked by that line-up as well. There's nothing else to go on really. You could point to Ajmal's 2 games in WI but WI are a terrible batting side these days and Herath's solitary test in WI was before Ajmal even made his debut so I'm not sure how much you can read into that. In any case if we're including that, might as well include their solitary tests in NZ(years apart I may add) in which Herath was better.

Personally, I would have Herath more often than not. Maybe I'd take Ajmal on a rank turner against players who are suspect against spin bowling; but otherwise give me Herath any day of the week and twice on a Sunday.

Last edited:

Jassy

Banned
If anything, it probably tilts more in Herath's favour if you disregard stats. A much better bowler to watch (smoother action etc) and a better bowler on docile wickets, has more variation and generally flights the ball more. I made that post because it is too simplistic to say Ajmal is better away from home because you are basically penalizing Herath for playing vs/in India and also more matches against teams like Australia.

smash84

The Tiger King
If anything, it probably tilts more in Herath's favour if you disregard stats. A much better bowler to watch (smoother action etc) and a better bowler on docile wickets, has more variation and generally flights the ball more. I made that post because it is too simplistic to say Ajmal is better away from home because you are basically penalizing Herath for playing vs/in India and also more matches against teams like Australia.
Ummm a smoother action makes somebody a better bowler?

Also you kind of missed out on pretty much the most important thing that makes a spinner (or any bowler) very good i.e. accuracy. Ajmal is very accurate which makes him a very dangerous customer. Hence I think you probably haven't seen him bowl much (except statsguru).

I also don't quite get how Ajmal would have been tonked by the Indian batsmen given that he bowls somewhat like Saqlain (less turn but more accuracy). Last time Saqlain was in India he ran through India. Also seeing Ajmal bowl against India in ODIs (which isn't really a great indicator but gives you some idea) doesn't in any way indicate to me that he would get tonked around.

Jassy

Banned
Ummm a smoother action makes somebody a better bowler?

Also you kind of missed out on pretty much the most important thing that makes a spinner (or any bowler) very good i.e. accuracy. Ajmal is very accurate which makes him a very dangerous customer. Hence I think you probably haven't seen him bowl much (except statsguru).

I also don't quite get how Ajmal would have been tonked by the Indian batsmen given that he bowls somewhat like Saqlain (less turn but more accuracy). Last time Saqlain was in India he ran through India. Also seeing Ajmal bowl against India in ODIs (which isn't really a great indicator but gives you some idea) doesn't in any way indicate to me that he would get tonked around.
Well I wanted to say legal but I didn't want another infraction :ph34r:

They are both accurate bowlers, Herath flights it more whereas on turning pitches Ajmal gets more turn. Look the Indian side that Herath faced when Sri Lanka were last in India had Sehwag in full cry (Muralitharan -albeit on his last legs- was getting tonked for sixes), Gambhir, Tendulkar, Laxman all in fair form. He has had some success in ODIs sure, but that hardly means he'd do the same in tests. Funny you bring up Saqlain because I seem to him remember playing his last test vs India and we all know what happened there :) We could argue all day till the cows come home about how he'd go vs India or how he'd have gone against that side. The point is India were the best players of spin then for certain (now there's only reputation, the current Indian players are a level below at playing spin) and obviously your record is going to look better if you have not played them at all as opposed to a bloke who has played them a few times.

Teja.

Global Moderator
While their records over the last 3-4 years might be similarly good, as of this moment Ajmal is definitely the superior bowler, IMO. In fact, I'd probably take Ajmal as the second bowler in my World XI after Steyn.

The gap between them decreases markedly as the spin batting ability of the batting team increases though.

cnerd123

likes this
Ajmal has had the disadvantage of Pakistan's keeping and fielding though. Sri Lanka are a much better fielding side for a spinner.

And as I said earlier, Ajmal is always viewed as a threat and played as such. It's only recently that teams have woken up to how dangerous Herath can bee, and hence his diminishing wicket taking abilities.

Herath makes batsmen give their wickets away; Ajmal takes them.