• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mathew Hayden vs Virender Sehwag

Who's better?

• Hayden

Votes: 28 42.4%
  • Sehwag

Votes: 29 43.9%
  • Difficult to tell

Votes: 9 13.6%

• Total voters

Jassy

Banned
It is very, very close. I think they were as good (or as bad if you like) as each other in conditions that helped seam bowlers. Both have pretty mediocre records in NZ, Eng and SA and a good record in WI. Sehwag has a fine record in Aus and Hayden's got a comparable record in India. Sri Lanka and Pakistan you'd have to give it to Sehwag and comfortably at that.

Disregarding stats and everything, I'd say Sehwag was a considerably better player of spin (not that Hayden was bad but the 2001 series aside his prowess vs spin gets slightly overrated). Against top quality pace, you'd much rather have Sehwag on a flat deck. On a deck with a bit in it you could probably take Hayden(and there really is nothing in their records to suggest there was any difference really) because of his better footwork and shot selection. Would gladly have both of them opening in my World 11 for the 2000s though with apologies to G.Smith.

Teja.

Global Moderator
It's fairly close but Sehwag's monster run in 2010 swings it for me.

Sehwag was just such a glorious lazy ****. His most memorable innings for me is the 170-odd he scored against NZ in India in 2010 in the 1st test. Felt like he was sleeping at the crease and smashing it around whenever he felt like it. His performances vs. Steyn were also quite memorable and he played the best knock against spin bowling of all-time and one of the five best ever in Galle.

He didn't give a **** if you were a legendary quick, he was just better than you if the ball ain't moving.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
its ok I start,
Hayden's mental powers overwhelms Sehwag's ability to think.
Hayden is a better builder of innings.
Hayden is harder striker of the ball.
Hayden has more pressure over bowlers.
Hayden wins more matches than Sehwag at all levels.
Hayden times better than Sehwag with abetter movement, speed and work of feet.
Hayden plays both better front foot and back foot than Sehwag.
Hayden is much more relied by team than Sehwag.
Hayden has much more balls out the middle of the bat than Sehwag.
Hayden rotates the strike more than Sehwag.
Hayden is better player of spin than Sehwag.
Hayden defeated the the legendary bowlers of his time more than Sehwag.
Hayden was more consistent than Sehwag.
Hayden was more constant than Sehwag.
And if you want more, tell me. I am waiting to know how you counter.
This post is awesome. Particularly like "Hayden's mental powers overwhelms Sehwag's ability to think."
it is like he sends out brain waves from Australia all the way to Dehli that stop Sehwag from passing his drivers license renewal test.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
This post is awesome. Particularly like "Hayden's mental powers overwhelms Sehwag's ability to think."
it is like he sends out brain waves from Australia all the way to Dehli that stop Sehwag from passing his drivers license renewal test.
It's super effective!

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Honestly burst out laughing at that second line. Hurricane WAFG.

bagapath

International Captain
The veterans are middling the sarcasm as always. Funny thread.

Hayden's Sharjah knock against Pakistan in inhuman conditions and Sehwag's double century in Kandy when he batted several planes above his teammates made them my favorite openers of the last decade.

It is impossible to forget the mother of all pastings Sehwag delivered in Multan and the almost-triple hundred in one day in Mumbai against SL. By a whisker, it is Viru for me,

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Can excuse the annoying misspelling of Delhi when a post is this funny. Cracking post :laugh:

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
This is actually one of the few comparisons where I genuinely flip and can legitimately vote "difficult to tell" (Ambrose and McGrath and Dravid and Kallis are a couple of others). Have always found it hard to split these two.

viriya

International Captain
Hayden in Tests and Sehwag in ODIs. They both only have a slight edge though so even if it was just Tests or just ODIs it's not a clear decision.

Overall too difficult to tell.

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
I always liked Hayden in the early days, meaning I hated Tubby keeping him out of the Australia side for personal reasons instead of cricketing ones. Sehwag seemed overrated until he had those few years around '09 when he dominated absolutely everyone. I don't think there's much between these two. I went with Hayden as his consistency was less inconsistent though.

Riggins

International Captain
I always liked Hayden in the early days, meaning I hated Tubby keeping him out of the Australia side for personal reasons instead of cricketing ones. Sehwag seemed overrated until he had those few years around '09 when he dominated absolutely everyone. I don't think there's much between these two. I went with Hayden as his consistency was less inconsistent though.
Maybe too young to remember this. Covered in detail anywhere?

Dawood Ahmad

U19 Vice-Captain
Going full Richard with the broken-up quote here.

Sehwag hits the ball ****ing hard. Hayden was huge, but Sehwag struck harder.
Hayden could strike harder doesn't mean he used to srike hard, he just used mental toughness to reach long inings.