• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Over-rated things in cricket

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
18. The importance of the toss in a match where your side has lost 5 wickets for 150 under the best batting conditions so far

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
21. Playing straight.

22. Similarly, vertical bat shots (when referred to as somehow being more correct than horizontal bat strokes).

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Disagree, to say the least.
I'll explain myself.

There are a few batsmen in international cricket who have a penchant for straight drives, and this has mistakenly led people to think that they have good techniques. The number of times I hear people say that Martin Guptill has good technique because he plays straight makes me want to bash my head against the wall. Attempting to straight drive balls that aren't overpitched is a bad cricket shot. It's just as bad as playing across the line.

With the vertical bat strokes, there are times when it just simply isn't as safe a shot as a horizontal bat stroke. A back foot punch to a short wide ball is a more dangerous stroke than a cut shot. It's not a better stroke.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Disagree, to say the least.
If you use your wrists well, even early in your innings you can work straight balls square of the wicket either side without too much danger, certainly much more profitable than weak straight drives that roll past the bowler to mid off. As for vertical bat strokes, they tend to be far less profitable as well as not necessarily being safer or more correct than a well executed cut shot or pull/hook shot, not only this, but once the ball gets to a certain height (about chest height), vertical bat shots get very difficult and then pretty much impossible, whereas horizontal bat shots can be played to a ball anywhere between hip height and head height basically

EDIT: I didn't see Hendrix's later post but this is my take on it

Last edited:

African Monkey

U19 Vice-Captain
Batting positions outside the top 3.

What I mean by that is how we hear in NZ a bit on how Anderson and Watling should swap positions, or how Michael Clarke bats better at 5 instead of 4 etc. as if it really matters lol.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Batting positions outside the top 3.

What I mean by that is how we hear in NZ a bit on how Anderson and Watling should swap positions, or how Michael Clarke bats better at 5 instead of 4 etc. as if it really matters lol.
it matters when you consider lower positions are more likely to have to bat with the tail

Footwork.
yeah, balance and head position just as important IMO

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Suggesting that you should work balls square of the wicket off the stumps early in your innings is probably the worst advice I have ever heard in cricket. Wow.