• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in New Zealand 2013/14

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
His stats are horrible, but he does tend to get the very best player in the opposition team out and if you look at his dismissals versus batting position, over 70% of his dismissals have come against the Top 5 players. I think at the moment he's just over-trying when he's in the side, his bowling action has gone to the dogs because he's trying to bowl express pace, rather than settle into a relaxed rhythm and do what he does. If we're talking about statistics in the NZ side, the person who needs to go is Sodhi.
I haven't figured out how to do it on stats guru, but I'd wager that although he's got some top 5 players out, they've generally scored plenty of runs against him first anyway so I doubt his average against good players is all that crash hot. And he's generally released all the pressure with boundary balls too.

Agreed that Sodhi isn't a statistically justifiable selection, and is more vulnerable than Wagner.

Blocky

Banned
I haven't figured out how to do it on stats guru, but I'd wager that although he's got some top 5 players out, they've generally scored plenty of runs against him first anyway so I doubt his average against good players is all that crash hot. And he's generally released all the pressure with boundary balls too.

Agreed that Sodhi isn't a statistically justifiable selection, and is more vulnerable than Wagner.
His average against top order players can't actually be that bad considering how few lower order wickets he receives. There was an article in Otago about it, indicating that he was often getting the lions share of the top order out and not being brought back to bowl at the tail. That was certainly the case in the Windies where Wagner hardly got any overs at the true tail, they were throwing the ball to Sodhi to try and get some confidence building overs in.

Anderson isn't a "fourth seamer" - he's a batting allrounder.

Blocky

Banned
Kane Williamson is our best performing domestic spinner not named Vettori. Ultimately, we should be preparing pitches that suit our current playing stock - that of swing bowlers who like a faster pitch and batsmen who are better against pace than spin. That Hamilton wicket worried me, the amount of turn they were able to get.

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
Kane Williamson is our best performing domestic spinner not named Vettori. Ultimately, we should be preparing pitches that suit our current playing stock - that of swing bowlers who like a faster pitch and batsmen who are better against pace than spin. That Hamilton wicket worried me, the amount of turn they were able to get.
I take it your'e not a Jeets man then? Imo, if would be great if the Seddon park groundsmen could replicate that pitch for first class games. Having a proper turning track will do wonders for our spinners and Sodhi in particular.

Last edited:

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
Well I guess history is on his side...

Does anyone here honestly believe Sodhi will do reasonably well?
Dunno. He's progressing alarmingly quick, in one of the T20 finals he bowled a couple of match changing overs; great length, quick, turn, variation (probably one of the best spells of spinning bowling i've ever see from a Kiwi), but theres still to many hit-me-balls there.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Dunno. He's progressing alarmingly quick, in one of the T20 finals he bowled a couple of match changing overs; great length, quick, turn, variation (probably one of the best spells of spinning bowling i've ever see from a Kiwi), but theres still to many hit-me-balls there.
Yeah you could see that by looking for the most recent Canterbury vs. ND game in the vault, Daemon. Hamilton's been offering a bit of that this season under the new curator though, nothing like that in Auckland or Wellington.

I can recall Banhz talking about Bangladesh top sixers picking Sodhi's wrong 'un in their sleep.

Blocky

Banned
I take it your'e not a Jeets man then? Imo, if would be great if the Seddon park groundsmen could replicate that pitch for first class games. Having a proper turning track will do wonders for our spinners and Sodhi in particular.
He's had his chances and by all rights should have converted them, however the disgraceful scene of a guy with a first class century backing away so massively to any fast bowler in his last couple of digs for NZ doesn't show me he has the heart to be a champion cricketer, irregardless of some decent performances on and off for Warwickshire. I'm also not a fan of selecting any cricketer who's primary job is to bowl when they can't take domestic wickets for less than 30 considering our less than handy domestic batsman they get to bowl at.

Sodhi shouldn't even make the ND squad, let alone the NZ one.

Blocky

Banned
He couldn't even take Hawke Cup wickets for less than 30 - he's just another Brooke Walker, Tarun Nethula, Greg Loveridge et all that realistically has no business being thought about for representitive cricket, let alone NZ cricket. I've seen at least a dozen NZ spinners at club who bowl some very good deliveries, but there is too much rubbish and not enough thought in between it. Horrible selection by NZ, considering he has no history of performance in longer form cricket.

Blocky

Banned
Assessing Sodhi on his ability to baffle Diamanti, a guy who went onto the back foot every single delivery and threw his hands at it after it pitched.... it's akin to allowing my broken old ass to bowl at Chris Martin, dismiss him a bunch of times and demand that I be taken seriously as a test prospect because I bowled a test player out.

Some good deliveries made to look great by a clueless batsman. Ultimately if Sodhi does play, he's going at over four an over and only taking wickets that are gifted to him. Kohli in particular is a scary proposition for what he'd do to Sodhi and if Sodhi does play, it means McCullum will try find him overs.

Going back to Vettori who did deserve his place despite not really being a wicket taking bowler for the past six years of his life, the major issue with him in the NZ side is that he was constantly seen as an option to bowl - he should have been a batting all rounder, used sparingly, because the more overs Vettori bowled, the less chance NZ had to win the match. Sodhi will be even worse than that, because unlike Vettori who just meant a game drifted meaninglessly for the overs he bowled, Sodhi will hand the advantage to the other team.