Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Former NZ cricketers investigated in betting scandal

Former NZ cricketers investigated in betting scandal

Eeek

Cricket | New Zealanders Investigated In Cricket... | Stuff.co.nz

The International Cricket Council's anti-corruption unit is investigating cricket match-fixing involving former New Zealand players.

The ICC's anti-corruption and security unit (ACSU) has been in New Zealand during the past four months as part of an investigation into match- and spot-fixing, the New Zealand Herald reported.

It is believed up to three former New Zealand cricketers are involved in fixing that allegedly occurred in more than one country.

"It's a difficult situation," New Zealand Cricket chief executive David White told the Herald. "New Zealand Cricket is aware the ICC is investigating some former New Zealand cricketers.

"Unfortunately, we are not in a position to comment further and all inquiries have to be directed to the ICC."

The probe relates to historic games featuring international stars, the Herald reported.

Players involved could face bans from cricket ranging from a few years to life, depending on the level of co-operation with the ICC.

The ICC's anti-corruption and security unit's Australasian head, John Rhodes, is involved in the inquiry.

An ICC representative told the Herald: "The ICC does not comment on any anti-corruption or ACSU activities taking place," and repeated a "we don't comment at all" line when asked if New Zealanders were involved.

The allegations of New Zealand players being involved first came via Delhi bookmaker Vicky Seth in a 2012 sting story in London's Sunday Times.

According to the Sunday Times the match fixers had boasted about recruiting players from England, New Zealand, West Indies, Pakistan, India and Bangladesh in order to throw international games.

Dylan Cleaver has "more than an inkling on at least one" player he says, but isn't of the view the naming of names is imminent.

http://content.radionetwork.co.nz/we...port/50700.mp3 (6.15 in)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Feral Abacus View Post
    Another exaggerated personality stereotype conspiracy brought to you by Kippax.
    NZ RAIN RADAR . AGRIBUSINESS MONITORING . KIPPAX CRICKET . DOOR TO THE VAULT

One player definitely springs to mind...

U19 Debutant
    There is a bit of a cross over in these stories Cleaver's article states that the offending occurred out of NZ. So it is surprising that an Anti Corruption guy was here but this interview with Craig Stanaway indicates that there is an issue with NZ domestic cricket as well.

To quote him
    "I know for a fact that NZ cricketers, the first class scene, is been talked to by the NZ Police are talk, particularly around the January Period...around match fixing"

Craig Stanaway - AudioMedia - LiveSPORT

International Regular NasserFan207's Avatar
    Not good.
    Batsman I tolerate: V. Richards, S. Tendulkar, E. Morgan, N. Hussain. KEVIN O F******* BRIEN

School Boy/Girl Captain Binkley's Avatar
    Urgh. This makes me feel sick to the stomach.

International Captain straw man's Avatar
    Yeesh, ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by RxGM View Post
    There is a bit of a cross over in these stories Cleaver's article states that the offending occurred out of NZ. So it is surprising that an Anti Corruption guy was here but this interview with Craig Stanaway indicates that there is an issue with NZ domestic cricket as well.
    I'm surprised at this - is there sufficient money involved in NZ domestic cricket to lead to match fixing?

On top of a pile of money, surrounded by many beautiful women
    Quote Originally Posted by straw man View Post
    Yeesh, ugly.

I'm surprised at this - is there sufficient money involved in NZ domestic cricket to lead to match fixing?
    If it's broadcast live then it can be bet on. And the lack of money in NZ domestic cricket might make match fixing more likely than less. It would be very easy for a 30 year old domestic journeyman with 3 kids and earning $50,000 a year to be talked into making a low score for a bit of cash.

Will be interesting to hear what Cleaver has to say on the next BYC podcast.
    Last edited by Bahnz; 04-12-2013 at 03:14 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I can think of a list of Sydney Grade posters who would contribute a better average post than Bahnz.
    Maow like no one can hear you maowing.

Pinball Champion!
    According to the press conference, no games under the jurisdiction of NZ cricket are under investigation.. Which NZ players have played in these useless T20 leagues, IPL and ICL games anyone?
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

State Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt View Post
    According to the press conference, no games under the jurisdiction of NZ cricket are under investigation.. Which NZ players have played in these useless T20 leagues, IPL and ICL games anyone?
    There's a fair chance it revolves around Bangladesh, Sri Lankan, West Indian T20 leagues given those involved in IPL are still current NZ players by rule, and ICL is longer than 3-4 years ago.

It'd be better for Obba to keep his tweeting trap shut, tarring every player with his 'if you're surprised NZ'ers are involved in match fixing, you're naive' brush.

A few names definitely spring to mind for me, but I'm not sure it's appropriate to have those sorts of conversations just yet.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    I was wondering what new mess we would wake up to after a good days cricket yesterday. Always seems to be the case with NZ.
    straw man likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Pinball Champion!
    I wouldn't worry too much, we know it isn't an NZ game and I doubt it will be anything serious.. To be honest, and dent in credibility these dire global T20 leagues receives is a good thing in my book..

The same 3 names seem to be consistently mentioned in cricketing circles this morning. Gutting.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    What names?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information