Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Rank your country's commentary team

My Channel 9 ratings;

Bill Lawry - 9/10 - Class act. Was by far my favouite commentator in the 90s in spite of the fact he was biased at times. Nobody else can make cricket sound as exciting.
    Richie B - 8/10 Should have retired from the box in about 2008, still the voice of cricket in my lifetime.
    Ian Chappell - 7.5/10 Provides wonderful insights into what a player would actually be thinking. Clearly a great cricketing brain. With Benaud, the least biased of the Aussie commentators.
    Tubby Taylor - 7-7.5/10 When he takes his eye-patch off he's generally pretty decent. Another who obviously has an excellent cricketing brain.
    Shane Warne - 6/10 - Don't mind Warnie at all to be honest. Find him pretty fair most of the time.
    Michael Slater - 4/10 - Way too much of a cheerleader for the Aussie team for my liking, but at least has half a brain in his head
    Ian Healy - 2/10 - See Slater, by without even half a brain
    Mark Nicolas 2/10- Obvious cringe-worthy kind of Man/woman (it's hard to describe) but there's something remarkably feminine about the guy.
    James Brayshaw - 1/10 - This guy is friggen awful with a capital A. How the hell did he get the job?

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by SJS View Post
    By the way, just slightly off topic, one is highly amused by the sudden deification of Rohit Sharma by the electronic media (and even cricket chat room crowds). He has been vilified no end for so long, not for the attitude/mental issues which would have been justified to some extent, but to his talent, class and caliber as a batsman. Here at CW too he has been ridiculed by so many. One wonders what they think now. The fact is he was always as good a young batsman as any that we have seen coming down from the junior levels and better than most barring SRT himself and yet . . .
    CW has never rated his ODI game and fairly so, while a fair few advocated his test selection and have been proved right so far.

I don't think there was anyone who suggested he wasn't fit for Test cricket.

International Vice-Captain Riggins's Avatar
    I know I am in the vast minority (maybe the only one) on here but I really like Brayshaw.
    The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

can somebody from india please rate sidhu a 0 for me? he just said that the crowd is "dancing like popcorn on a hot fire"
    Shri, kyear2 and ankitj like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by uvelocity View Post
    s
    ^real tearjerker from this cock

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Bhogle is an interesting one. He's a massive cricket nerd and has obviously watched a lot of the game. He remembers matches, stats and key performances really well and brings them up multiple times when relevant. He knows all the common arguments about tests vs odis, stats being misleading, atg arguments and all that other common sense stuff. He speaks pretty well too, though his numerous attempts at humour are pretty sad.

imo it's just that he's perfected the art of speaking a lot without actually saying anything and majority of the time he does just that. He also doesn't have that player's insight or any in depth knowledge on the technical aspects of the game which could bring his commentary up another level and actually result in him saying something interesting for once.

4/10, -1 for being the BCCI's bitch.

Bhogle is simple.

Is good on radio, **** on TV.

Was awesome when he wasn't in the BCCI's pocket, he now is.

Went from an 8/10 radio to 3/10 TV commentator.

Forgot to add Manjrekar. Might well be the best Indian commentator around. Was awesome in the match point segment on cricinfo and his technical knowledge is pretty impressive.

International Regular OverratedSanity's Avatar
    Manjrekar before match point was as bad as Gavaskar, Shastri et al.

Now he's better than pretty much everyone except Dravid

I'm glad, because I did like some of the stuff he'd written before and felt he wasn't as stupid as he seemed in the combox.
    Last edited by OverratedSanity; 24-11-2013 at 06:46 AM.
    Proud member of the Indian STFU: Sane Tendulkar Fanboy Union.
    Our motto: Sachin WAG, Don>>>Sachin

Quote Originally Posted by Riggins View Post
    I know I am in the vast minority (maybe the only one) on here but I really like Brayshaw.
    I find Brayshaw inoffensive these days more than anything. Easily ignored.

EDIT: Agree with those who really liked Bhogle on radio, was excellent last time down here.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

International Vice-Captain kyear2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ajdude View Post
    can somebody from india please rate sidhu a 0 for me? he just said that the crowd is "dancing like popcorn on a hot fire"
    This please.
    Aus. XI
    Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Chappell^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2

W.I. XI
    Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4

S.A. XI
    Richards^ | Smith*^ | Amla | Pollock | Kallis5^ | Nourse | Waite+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2

Eng. XI
    Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by ajdude View Post
    To rate Siddhu at zero would be giving him more than he deserves. He is the pits.

International Debutant Viscount Tom's Avatar
    His voice is one that would drive people to murder.

Have it in for Bloefeld as well just irks me.

Don't mind Boycott but hes best used in small doses.
    AT-XI
    #J.Hobbs; #L.Hutton; #D.Bradman; #V.Richards; #G.Sobers; #A.Border; #A.Gilchrist; #K.Miller; #I.Khan; #S.Warne; #M.Marshall;

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    It is a far far better place ............ etc etc
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    The only Kiwi commentator worth his salt is Jeremy Coney.
    I'll have to take your word for it on the comparison, but when Coney has been on TMS he has been superb

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    The story of how Bhogle got his start commentating is such a great tale.

Interesting reading the reviews of Mark Nicholas. When the ODD matches were on early this summer he was commentating without a hard-on and his analysis of the technical side of the game was actually first rate. If he concentrated on that instead of trying to hype up the game when there's no need (ie, never because there are others he works with who do that) he would actually be very good IMO.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Yeah, with Bogle, Nicholas and possibly Ian Smith and Sanjay Manjrekar, I think they feel a compulsive need to fill the gaps. When they're writing or talking about cricket they can just dedicate themselves to pure descriptiveness, which is great. But when people can see what's happening on TV, there's really no need to describe what's going on so they just start with either verbal diarrhoea (Bogle) or incessant and frankly embarrassing asslicking (Nicholas).

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information