• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sachin Tendulkar to retire

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Should have retired ages ago. Playing on to reach 200 tests seems like a bit of a vanity project to me.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
According to my arithmetic in order to retire averaging 99.95, and therefore be better than you know who, Sachin is going to need to score, assuming he's not dismissed in either Test, 13,548 runs in a maximum of four visits to the crease

smash84

The Tiger King
Wow. This marks the end of an era. Probably the greatest player of the last 20 years. Always the prized wicket from amongst our arch enemies and enjoyed tremendous respect in Pakistan. Seems like such a long long time ago that Tendulkar came to Pakistan to mark his debut. I feel priveleged to have seen him then. Viv still hadn't retired from cricket at that time and Imran was Pakistan's captain. The bowlers he has faced over the years. Donald, Pollock, Steyn, Wasim, Waqar, Imran, Shoaib, McGrath, Gillespie, Walsh, Ambrose, Bond, Warne, Murali, Saqlain, Ajmal, Swann. He battled all of them and (many many times) held his own. He has seen such great batsmen come and go as well. Allan Border, Javed Miandad, Brian Lara, Ricky Ponting, Inzamam, Hayden, Steve Waugh, Mark Waugh, Saeed Anwar, etc. I will never forget his 136 at Chennai against us and the 2003 world cup knock which I feel was a psychological turning point for India vs Pakistan matches (just as the Miandad last ball 6 was in 1986). Will go down in my books as perhaps the 2nd greatest cricketer to come from the sub-continent.

The 2nd last cricketer from the golden age of cricket (1970-2003 for me) to still be playing. For all the joy that you gave when you scored against others, and for the feeling of wanting to punch out your teeth when you scored against us, and for all the great memories that you gave us across such a wonderful career, Sachin Tendulkar, you sir, take a bow.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
According to my arithmetic in order to retire averaging 99.95, and therefore be better than you know who, Sachin is going to need to score, assuming he's not dismissed in either Test, 13,548 runs in a maximum of four visits to the crease
Na... According to my calculations, applying fanboy logic, playing in around a 100 more grounds than Bradman means that Tendulkar's average apparently jumps to 175. Unfortunately applying the same formula to all modern cricketers means Kallis and Sangakkara sit atop the pile with averages of 180 and 181 respectively.

BeeGee

International Captain
I was sitting in the stands at this game: 1st Test: New Zealand v India at Christchurch, Feb 2-5, 1990 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

It was Tendulkar's fifth test match and he was 16. I checked him out when he was fielding on the boundary right in front of me and couldn't help thinking he looked like a kid and out of place playing test cricket. Danny Morrison had him out first ball and I didn't think he would amount to much. I'm prepared to go on the record and say that, in hindsight, I may have been wrong.

He's a great cricketer and he will be missed.

OverratedSanity

Will go down in my books as perhaps the 2nd greatest cricketer to come from the sub-continent.
Behind Murali? That'd probably be where I'd put him too although it's close. Generally don't believe in the great bowlers automatically > great batsmen nonsense

Last edited:

Burgey

First you saw? Because there was another really short guy who opened the batting who did well against the likes of Lillee, Pascoe and Thomson. It's a case of the Apprentice becoming the Master though, as Sachin averaged 53 and Sunil 51.
Loved the homage you wote just thought I'd slip that proviso in.
If you're talking about gavaskar, do a series by series break down and see the attacks he excelled against here.

Burgey

Oh ****, I've just realised we'll be subjected to an Illiad-style tribute from the simpering Mike Coward now.

harsh.ag

It would be nice to have the #10 jersey retired along with him. Too much pressure on the guy who wears it next. Or it could perhaps provide inspiration to the next guy. Should be someone like Pujara or Kohli.

I have a feeling that Tendulkar's legacy is going to grow bigger than almost anybody else of his era. I don't know why it just feels like it today, but I just get a feeling that CW posters in 2090 will be talking about Tendulkar long after they have ceased talking about the others, with the exception, perhaps, of Warne. Or maybe this is just the high of the day.

fredfertang

I have a feeling that Tendulkar's legacy is going to grow bigger than almost anybody else of his era. I don't know why it just feels like it today, but I just get a feeling that CW posters in 2090 will be talking about Tendulkar long after they have ceased talking about the others, with the exception, perhaps, of Warne. Or maybe this is just the high of the day.
Nah - for the most part they'll still be obsessed with the question of who the latest Precam multi is

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
It's an interesting question, regarding which cricketer from 1990 onwards will be remembered most in 50 years time.

smash84

The Tiger King
Behind Murali? That'd probably be where I'd put him too although it's close. Generally don't believe in the great bowlers automatically > great batsmen nonsense
Dude, thanks for giving me an opportunity to bring up the sub continent's greatest cricketer :D. No, it isn't Murali. Imran is, IMO, the greatest cricketer to come from the SC. 2nd position up for grabs between Sachin and Murali.

Do you not know Smali?
Bitch