• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pakistan v South Africa in UAE

greg

International Debutant
I couldn't see a zipper reither. My cricket pants don't have no zipper. And most certainly not on the pockets..... To me, it really sounds like a bucket full of crap...... A zipper on the side pocket of cricket throusers?
I've heard of blind loyalty, but that's taking the pizzaz.

Ball tampering? - YouTube

What is the thing dangling from the pocket if not a zip?

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
With Philander, I don't think he was tampering.

What I think happened is that there was a bit of a loose bit of leather on the ball and he just stuck his finger under it. It sounds really weird but it's kind of common. When I play and I see the ball and it has a bit flapping like that I'll stick my finger under it, without even realising I'm doing it. It's not to tamper or scratch the ball further it's just something you do. Can't describe it.

Spikey

Like I said earlier in the thread, that isn't really that doable in the UAE. Outfields are grassy and there aren't that many practice strips. All it would really do would soften the ball up, which is the last thing you want on such wickets.
check out the expert

Daemon

Yeah that's possible. Sometimes those white marks that come on the ball when it hits stuff like concrete outside the boundary ropes can also be wiped away, so he could be doing that. His wasn't conclusive and thus he wasn't penalised. Faf pleaded guilty though so that's not even debatable.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
With Philander, I don't think he was tampering.

What I think happened is that there was a bit of a loose bit of leather on the ball and he just stuck his finger under it. It sounds really weird but it's kind of common. When I play and I see the ball and it has a bit flapping like that I'll stick my finger under it, without even realising I'm doing it. It's not to tamper or scratch the ball further it's just something you do. Can't describe it.
It's so annoying when your studs aren't sharp enough to do the job properly

greg

International Debutant
Frankly I think Philander's fails the smell test. He may not have been tampering, deliberately or otherwise (and one shouldn't rule out something like that being done subconsciously), but one has to think hard to come up with alternative explanations.

However to me what it emphasises is how the match referee has utterly failed in his punishment for du Plessis. If that is the penalty for the designated ball shiner being caught red handed and pleading guilty then it gives a green light for all the more subtle attempts at ball tampering that undoubtedly go on. He should have got at least a ban if not more. That might at least make others think twice. This is not an anti-South African point. Most teams have had allegations made against them/suspicions voiced at times. We know England had a ball changed on them earlier in the year, although there was zero television evidence produced against them. But if there IS clear television evidence then punishments should be exemplary.

One might also not that often teams want to get the ball changed but are denied by the umpires. Many might see a 5 runs penalty and 5% (shared around the team) match penalty a pretty good investment for guaranteeing it!

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Yep, either Du Plessis (or even better - the captain) should've been banned for a game or two, this is unacceptable.

r3alist

U19 Cricketer
If south Africa would do this in such a ridiculously commanding position then why wouldn't they have done this in the first innings?

I didn't watch the first day that closely but i think Pakistan were not collapsing until after 20 odd overs....

flibbertyjibber

I think Du Plessis has got off very lightly. How many games was Afridi banned for?

I think a ban is the way to go when you are clearly caught cheating like that. That goes for any player from any nation before people start.

Scaly piscine

Yes there's no real disincentive if they're not even banned - even then you can just let one of your weaker players take the risk. It becomes part of the game to cheat, same as the time wasting that goes on. It's like a professional foul in football, or the many you get in basketball.

Cheating should not be encouraged to be part of the game in cricket, if you genuinely want to get rid of ball tampering. Things like this will make it part of the game (if it isn't already).

Last edited:

fredfertang

Course of the game rather suggests Pakistan's batters not as culpable as we thought for the 99 all out

flibbertyjibber

Course of the game rather suggests Pakistan's batters not as culpable as we thought for the 99 all out
Yes it is something that will always hang over the result when SA do win. I have been thinking the same as you though the fact the spinner got 5 in the first innings will be used as an excuse to say that is wrong.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Pakistan actually have 4 batsmen from 3-6 that are capable of being very solid batsmen, but sometimes they just all suck on the same day

salman85

International Debutant
Did Morkel pull off a ball-zip story today too? :mellow:

Misbah and Asad playing really well to be fair.If they can last today without losing any further wickets, then the last day could be very exciting.I still think SA will win, but let's see.

flibbertyjibber

That ends any glimmer of hope of a miracle. Been a top effort by the pair though, could easily have been all over quickly today.