• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

DoG's Top 100 Test Batsmen - The Top 25

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
I think it's difficult to compare cricketers of the era. Bradman and Headley was just head and shoulders better than anyone else. That doesn't make for a great comparison with professional cricket as it is today. They're ATG talented players that played in an era where not all the potentially talented players did play.
Oh great, this argument again.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
If this goes the way of the Bradman threads we had a few months ago, with the same posts being repeated ad infinium and the entire thing descending into a ****fight, I am going to be remarkably pissed off.

You won't get the benefit of a new thread, like nightprowler was kind enough to provide when the bowling tangent started getting too much. And if it starts getting personal in the way it did last time, expect big infractions.

Garson007

State Vice-Captain
Oh great, this argument again.
It's a completely reasonable argument. A sport like tennis have had the luxury of having an explicitly defined "open era" and many many people completely ignore what happened before that time for much the same reason. That's not to say I don't rate these guy highly, I do - but I do think that the era statistics skew things in their favour more than what you would expect if they started playing today.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I'd argue that in Bradman's era a larger percentage of kids wanted to play cricket for Australia than do now.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
How good a batsman would Rod Laver have been?

and how many Grand Slams would the Don have managed?

Does anyone care?

chasingthedon

International Regular
Think you still might encounter some issues with it as some of those players only played a few Tests, all against weak opposition and had good averages anyway. Let me know how it goes anyway. I ended up in a bit of an infinite loop when I wanted to tackle this as I wanted to standardise the bowling averages as per the standardised batting averages of the opposition batsmen but I also wanted to standardise the batting averages as per the standardised bowling averages of the opposition bowlers. You can't do both simultaneously; you need final figures for one lot of them to start the process so I just abandoned it. :p
Somewhere Heisenberg is rolling in his grave.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Awaing Sobers announcement and his score. Really also want to see the size of the gap between Bradman and the field.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
It's a completely reasonable argument. A sport like tennis have had the luxury of having an explicitly defined "open era" and many many people completely ignore what happened before that time for much the same reason. That's not to say I don't rate these guy highly, I do - but I do think that the era statistics skew things in their favour more than what you would expect if they started playing today.
Its the same with most sports today.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
DoG to perform the greatest troll in CW history by never actually finishing the countdown IMO.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Sorry it's taking so long. Been busy the last few days and got the missus over tonight. Hopefully will finish it within the next 24 hours.

bagapath

International Captain
Want to see the full list posted soon, from 1 to 100

And DoG shoud, without a break, start the bowlers list immediately.

This has been great fun mate. Thanks a million for all your efforts. I totally tripped on it.

Last edited:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sorry it's taking so long. Been busy the last few days and got the missus over tonight. Hopefully will finish it within the next 24 hours.
This is disappointing news for me - the travails of your love life in the "Girl Trouble" thread kept the prospective Mrs Fertang III amused for hours