Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 30
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Stolen from Ashes subbie - player you can't go without for each team?

  1. #1
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    ksfls;fsl;lsFJg/s
    Posts
    29,054

    Stolen from Ashes subbie - player you can't go without for each team?

    Australia - Clarke
    Bangladesh - Shakib
    England - Cook
    India - Yadav
    New Zealand - Taylor
    Pakistan - Younis Khan
    South Africa - Smith
    Sri Lanka - Herath
    West Indies - Chanderpaul
    Zimbabwe - Taylor

    gogogo
    CricAddict likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

  2. #2
    International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Mrs Miggins pie shop
    Posts
    11,913
    Australia - Clarke
    Bangladesh - Shakib
    England - Anderson
    India - Dhoni
    NZ - Taylor
    Pakistan - Ajmal
    SA - Amla
    SL - Herath
    WI - Roach
    Zim - Taylor

  3. #3
    State Regular CricAddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Chennai
    Posts
    930
    My personal views. Will be interesting to see how long the players will remain so..

    Australia - Clarke (Batting backbone)
    Bangladesh - Shakib (Team backbone)
    England - None (No dependency on single player)
    India - Dhoni (Team always loses without him)
    NZ - None (Same as England)
    Pakistan - Misbah (only good batsman in the team now)
    SA - Kallis (a big part of their winning depends on the balance he gives)
    SL - Sangakkara (same as SA)
    WI - Gayle (among so many allrounders, he is the one good batsman along with Samuels)
    Zim - Taylor (same as Aus)

  4. #4
    State Vice-Captain
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    1,343
    Steyn.
    ATG World XI
    1. J.B Hobbs 2. H. Sutcliffe 3. D.G Bradman 4. W.R Hammond 5. G.S Sobers 6. M.J Procter 7. A.C Gilchrist 8. M.D Marshall 9. S.K Warne 10. M. Muralitharan 11. G.D McGrath


  5. #5
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    #banblocky
    Posts
    20,360
    For England it's quite obviously Anderson. For some reason our entire bowling attack goes to **** when he doesn't play or isn't playing well.

  6. #6
    Hall of Fame Member Howe_zat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Top floor, bottom buzzer
    Posts
    16,654
    India need Jadeja, surely this is beyond doubt now
    "Your averages, captain, coaches and players can probably survive incompetence over a relatively short series, so if youíre going to be rubbish, make sure itís against Pakistan, Sri Lanka, New Zealand or someone."

  7. #7
    Cricketer Of The Year Bahnz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    On top of a pile of money, surrounded by many beautiful women
    Posts
    8,109
    For England it's Swann.
    For India it's Tendulkar (because there'd be a violent uprising if he was ever dropped).
    There's nobody that South Africa can't go without as their team is so well balanced, though Kallis' absence would probably have the biggest impact.
    Clarke for Aus, Herath for SL, Taylor for NZ, Younis for Pakistan, Chanders for WI
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I can think of a list of Sydney Grade posters who would contribute a better average post than Bahnz.
    Maow like no one can hear you maowing.

  8. #8
    International Captain hendrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    7,272
    the Boult-Southee partnership is more important than Taylor. Take out either and NZ loses any consistent period of pressure being put on the opposition.

    England very clearly rely on Anderson.

    Steyn is probably more important than Kallis, but it will be very interesting to see what happens with he retires.

    Pakistan need Saeed Ajmal more than anyone else.

    Same with Sri Lanka and Herath, although Sangakkarra is close to equally important.

    Australia - Clarke

    India - Pujara or Kohli.

    West Indies - dunno. Probably Samuels right now

    Bangladesh - Shakib

  9. #9
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    ksfls;fsl;lsFJg/s
    Posts
    29,054
    Nah, Boult-Southee can ultimately be replaced by Wheeler/Milne or whoever. Doug Bracewell is currently first reserve as well.

    Taylor gets replaced by Martin Guptill or....well exactly.

    See South Africa for details.

  10. #10
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    ksfls;fsl;lsFJg/s
    Posts
    29,054
    With South Africa I think Graeme Smith is the most important because there is already a significant drop from him to his opening partner Alviro Petersen. Remove Smith and replace him with someone who is at best the same as Alviro (though since Elgar is an opener and has made the test team this is optimistic) and South Africa look vulnerable. Alviro is better than people give him credit for but he isn't going to set the world on fire either.

    The same logic goes for Cook.

  11. #11
    International Captain hendrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    7,272
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    Nah, Boult-Southee can ultimately be replaced by Wheeler/Milne or whoever. Doug Bracewell is currently first reserve as well.

    Taylor gets replaced by Martin Guptill or....well exactly.

    See South Africa for details.

    Neither Wheeler nor Milne have played a test so I'm unsure why they're seen as such competent replacements. May as well say that Tom Latham can easily sub in for Taylor? Bracewell has been poor for over a year now.

    Southee didn't play in South Africa either, and I could use that example to illustrate my point but the reality is NZ were never going to get anywhere near competitive totals against SA's bowlers.
    Last edited by hendrix; 04-07-2013 at 07:05 PM.

  12. #12
    International Captain wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    away from the palms
    Posts
    6,510
    Point is - we have bowlers who can probably do an acceptable job. We only have one acceptable (as in would have a vague chance of making Eng/SA/India) batsman in Taylor.
    Exit pursuing a beer

  13. #13
    International Captain hendrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    7,272
    Well, I disagree that we have bowlers who will do an acceptable job, because noone other than Southee and Boult have been proven test wicket takers. Maybe Gillespie but it's been a while since he's looked threatening.

    We have no idea how "acceptable" they're going to be. And, as we have seen in the case of Southee's career, you can have all the skills and all the deliveries, but there's still a major mental, physical and consistency shift to overcome in test cricket. You get there and you can be threatening the best batsmen in the world. Without it, you can be cannon fodder.

    That's not to say that I don't like the look of Milne et al, but saying that they would do the job is akin to saying that Michael Hussey was dispensable because Usman Khawaja will easily negotiate Jimmy Anderson.

  14. #14
    International Captain hendrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    7,272
    but sorry about the trolling,

    the obvious answer is Shane Watson.

  15. #15
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    #banblocky
    Posts
    20,360
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    With South Africa I think Graeme Smith is the most important because there is already a significant drop from him to his opening partner Alviro Petersen. Remove Smith and replace him with someone who is at best the same as Alviro (though since Elgar is an opener and has made the test team this is optimistic) and South Africa look vulnerable. Alviro is better than people give him credit for but he isn't going to set the world on fire either.

    The same logic goes for Cook.
    The answer for England is still Anderson, not Cook or Swann or Prior or anyone else.

    an attack of Broad, Finn, Bresnan and Swann on paper still looks very good but it wouldn't work. We had a similar attack against Sri Lanka at Lord's (swap Bresnan for Tremlett) and they got smashed. Jimmy was crap at the Oval against South Africa, we got flogged. Jimmeh was average in New Zealand, the rest of the attack was average.

    England's strength is in the bowling and the bowling relies to a ridiculous degree on one man. Anderson is England's most irreplacable player, end of story.
    hendrix likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 22-03-2007, 10:14 AM
  2. Why Ian Bell should be in England's Ashes Team...
    By Bob Bamber in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 13-08-2006, 09:02 AM
  3. Good player in ICC Ashes 2005
    By Tim in forum General
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-04-2006, 10:36 PM
  4. Team Of The Ashes
    By Prince EWS in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 81
    Last Post: 17-09-2005, 02:59 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •