• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand Domestic Season 2013/2014

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Best post for insightful information. If he was bowling 135 as a 17 year old who would want to face him.
My old coach reckons Chris Cairns was an absolute demon when he was 17 and was considerably quicker than he was in his 20s as he got niggly injuries later.
135 with double stump-width hooping swing, more like. For some reason the lower the level of cricket, the easier time bowlers seem to have swinging it.

Flem274*

123/5
That Cairns story is a yarn. Apart from the physics of full balls hitting blokes in the head, which says a lot about the sorry state of the pitch, if someone gets hit flush in the forehead and not only lives to tell the tale but bats on, the bowler wasn't bowling very quickly. Different maybe if it was a glancing blow of course. You can kill yourself by falling a few feet onto a curb ffs.

This post was brought to you by someone who has been hit in the head sans helmet and batted on by a guy they said had been clocked at 130. He wasn't bowling 130 then I can safely say or I wouldn't be here.

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
That Cairns story is a yarn. Apart from the physics of full balls hitting blokes in the head, which says a lot about the sorry state of the pitch, if someone gets hit flush in the forehead and not only lives to tell the tale but bats on, the bowler wasn't bowling very quickly. Different maybe if it was a glancing blow of course. You can kill yourself by falling a few feet onto a curb ffs.

This post was brought to you by someone who has been hit in the head sans helmet and batted on by a guy they said had been clocked at 130. He wasn't bowling 130 then I can safely say or I wouldn't be here.
Well we've all seen the Viv Richards footage. He got hit flush in the jaw and batted on.

The pitch was an artificial and the guy bent down to play a forward defensive stroke.

BackFootPunch

International 12th Man
Interestingly enough I've heard from a couple of blokes that Boult was actually quicker than Southee back in the day but Southee had the height and the over the top aggression, which made him a pretty frightening prospect. Sounds like Southee enjoyed dominating batsmen he was just far too good for, so maybe it's not a huge surprise that he took a little while to find his feet at the top level.

Flem274*

123/5
Boult still is quicker. We've all seen the youtube clips of his random 140-145kph bursts. While Boult prefers to bowl a bit slower most of the time, Southee almost exclusively sits at 130-138 these days.

BackFootPunch

International 12th Man
Yeah true that. I think Boult is probably gonna be the guy who leads this attack for the next decade, hopefully. Seems to have had all his major injuries already.

Flem274*

123/5
I don't really believe in attack leaders. IMO everyone in the attack is responsible for a good bowling performance, and this is helped by putting together good combinations. I suspect if Boult were injured and Southee was the guy still on his feet instead of the other way around, we would still have seen similar losses in quality because the strength of this attack lies in the Southee/Boult combination, not in one or the other.

BackFootPunch

International 12th Man
Yeah I take your point but I think losing Boult would hurt us more than losing Southee has, simply because Boult operates so well in the combinations you mentioned. I think having Boult in the attack has done wonders for Southee, as well as many other bowlers. I just get the feeling that, for most of our bowlers, Boult is the guy you'd want bowling at the other end.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Presuming he means down to FC, A Cricket and club, it's more likely because you can get away with bowling a fuller length the further down you go standard-wise, hence more swing.
And bowlers tend to be more relaxed, resulting in a smoother seam release [/making****up]

Dan got hit for two sixes today. Went 2-23 or something. I think his team won but sounds like the important victories were firmly with FTCC

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Didn't Boult win some kind of fastest delivery comp or something, which lead to various members jizzing about his pace and then equal reaction from people saying he'll be rubbish?

CharlesLara

U19 12th Man
From what I've heard he was pretty quick and pretty angry. He and Boult were terrifying at age group level apparently.
He was quick, swung it at pace and had white line fever. Coming from a guy who played alongside and against him. Southee's reputation at schoolboy cricket was prob only matched by Kane, and they were both earmarked very early. As stated, Southee is a genuine swing bowler and anyone that can bowl full and move the ball late is always handy.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Didn't Boult win some kind of fastest delivery comp or something, which lead to various members jizzing about his pace and then equal reaction from people saying he'll be rubbish?
Yep he won the National Bank's schoolboy pace final. If I recall he hit 135 k's - so given that he would've been bowling flat out, he really wasn't that sharp even as a U19 (guys like Small, Milne and Duffy have all bowled comfortably quicker at a similar age). I also remember that while he won the final of the competition, Corey Anderson was actually recorded as bowling much quicker than him during the preliminaries (about 140 iirc).

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Yep he won the National Bank's schoolboy pace final. If I recall he hit 135 k's - so given that he would've been bowling flat out, he really wasn't that sharp even as a U19 (guys like Small, Milne and Duffy have all bowled comfortably quicker at a similar age). I also remember that while he won the final of the competition, Corey Anderson was actually recorded as bowling much quicker than him during the preliminaries (about 140 iirc).
IIRC, that competition final that year was done in the rain. Hence lower speeds in the final than in the preliminaries.

Mike5181

International Captain
I like the comment at the end from Smith. It would be a good investment if we could throw some money at Warne to come and work with Sodhi for a little while.