• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand Domestic Season 2013/2014

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
As people have probably seen, Martin Snedden is back on the NZC board along with Sir Richard. This is surely a good thing in both cases - NZC sorely in need of a steady hand to run things and also a grounding in the actual game of cricket.

Geoff Allott also on the board and should help shake things up a bit :ph34r:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Hadlee is a terrible decision imo, he couldn't even be bothered coming to the announcment.

Great player who does not play well with others.
I know he has this reputation, and probably deservedly so, but if a strong hand (i.e. Snedden) can keep a lid on Hadlee's worse impulses then it could work out quite well.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah White will be "robustly monitored" were Snedden's words. Like a dog.

Cricket: Cup 'critical' - interim chairman | Otago Daily Times Online News : Otago, South Island, New Zealand & International News

Otago administrator Stuart Heal has a simple message for those who think New Zealand Cricket is not a business - ''It is a $50 million business.''
Heal was appointed interim chairman of a new-look New Zealand Cricket board this week.

The 61-year-old is an experienced administrator with an impressive resume. He is chairman of Pioneer Generation, Southern PHO, the University Bookshop and the Southern Rural Fire Association, and is the former long-serving chief executive of CRT Otago.

He is also a former chairman of the Otago Cricket Association and has been on the board of NZC since 2008. You might say he knows a googly from a doosra.

Heal believes the first priority for the new board will be to make the most of the 2015 Cricket World Cup.

''It is only 18 months or less away and it is critical from every which way you want to measure it,'' Heal said from his home in Cromwell yesterday.

''It is critical for us to reconnect with our fans. It is critical to increase our playing numbers and it is critical because it generates us cash.

''It is a very lumpy revenue line for New Zealand Cricket and if we can get it up to where the current forecasts are, it will set cricket up financially at all levels.''

Not everyone has been happy with the way the sport has been governed in the past year or so. A group headed by former New Zealand cricketer John Parker agitated for change. Part of the group's agenda included getting more cricketing people on the board.

NZC approved a new constitution in July and at a special general meeting in Auckland earlier this week, delegates voted in the new board.

''The lobby group that criticised NZC said there were insufficient cricket heads around the table,'' Heal said.

''We now have Sir Richard Hadlee, Martin Snedden and Geoff Allott. I think that is a fantastic balance in the board ... and their concerns have been addressed.

''I think I've been appointed as the interim chair to keep some continuity. The board will decide who will be chairman [during its first meeting on October 23] and I'll decide in the next month whether I put my name forward.''

Heal said NZC was in the public arena ''24-7'' and not every decision was going to be popular. But he firmly believes the previous board was a safe pair of hands.

''To people who say that New Zealand Cricket is not a business - I completely disagree. It is a $50 million business. About three-quarters of our revenue comes in US dollars.

''It is a complex exporting business, to be blunt. If it makes money, then that money filters through to grass-roots cricket.

''There will always be criticism because some people have said the organisation is too commercial or some people see the players too dominating. I'm not a populist; I just like to do what is best for New Zealand Cricket, and that is my job.
"I'm no populist, but I love the movies"

Andrew Alderson: Heat on NZC as Indian summer approaches - Cricket - NZ Herald News

There are three priorities which, if enacted, can leverage respect for the new New Zealand Cricket board and the governing body as a whole.

Those priorities are: preserving the importance of test cricket, ensuring the sport is showcased effectively at the 2015 World Cup and committing to development tours of the Asian subcontinent.

The release of the itinerary for the Indian tour made a mockery of test cricket's eminence.

A three-test tour was reduced to two but space was created for an excessive and largely meaningless series of five one-dayers.

NZC chief executive David White suggested in a press release: "It's brilliant that the Black Caps will be playing five ODIs against the world's top one day side given the proximity of Cricket World Cup in 2015."

For purists, the reality behind the spin is that the outcome is disappointing. The World Cup will still be a year away but it highlights the pressure smaller cricketing nations like New Zealand face to acquiesce to the demands of India, whose broadcasters are likely to benefit from more revenue because day-night ODIs are easier to market in the local time zone.

Test cricket has received lip service. The trouble is, NZC can do little about it other than argue behind closed doors at the International Cricket Council's headquarters in Dubai.

The ICC's future tours programme looks toothless. Fortunately the administrators of South Africa and England over the past two summers could see the benefit of tests (as numbers 1 and 2 in the world) and opted for a three test, ODI and Twenty20 format to keep the majority of fans happy.

The new board, especially with the addition of administrative heavyweights such as Martin Snedden, can make a difference by stressing the sovereignty of tests is a way to help the organisation reconnect with fans.

In addition, the eight board members will be aware how much the 1992 World Cup galvanised the nation and gave the sport a welcome injection of goodwill. Cricket in New Zealand hasn't seen a repeat of such bonhomie since.

NZC will not get a better chance to showcase the sport thanks to the negotiation skills of former board member and New Zealand 2015 World Cup boss Therese Walsh and her team. If cricket can't captivate the nation with 23 of the 49 matches at home - including a quarter-final, semifinal and home match against Australia - then dreams of a renaissance are lost.

Finally, the board needs to recognise the value of sending teams to improve their skills playing on the subcontinent. The decision to send a development side this year is a welcome move which will hopefully pay dividends in Bangladesh next month and in future with four of the ICC's test member countries based in that region. Getting as many top players as possible to experience those different climate and pitch conditions must be beneficial.

Such experiences could also be arranged via scholarships to clubs and academies or stuffing whites into backpacks on an OE; basically anything to immerse them into the environment. NZC needs to aim for a point where the prospect of heading to the sub-continent no longer generates shock or fills players with angst. That's a prime way for better international results and rankings to be achieved.

Always doing little cursory studies of the Monster of the Week and falling in one step behind. The Herald really becoming that annoying little bitch who's all too mindful of tediously drawing out "the chase for the truth" to a 10th season itself atm.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Nah White will be "robustly monitored" were Snedden's words. Like a dog.
So how many people are on the board - these 8 directors and who else - the articles are not answering the real questions. What is White's position now?

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
So how many people are on the board - these 8 directors and who else - the articles are not answering the real questions. What is White's position now?
White's role stays as it was, as their highest level employee basically.

http://www.blackcaps.co.nz/news/nzc...rs-not-seeking-re-election/10874/article.aspx

The other current Board members not seeking re-election are Bill Francis, Sir John Hansen, and Therese Walsh.

Existing Board members Stuart Heal, Don Mackinnon and Greg Barclay intend to seek reappointment.
Key new elements in the Constitution include:

- NZC Board Members will be elected by NZC members following a selection and recommendation process run by an independent Appointments Panel.

- The Appointments Panel will comprise a convenor (nominated by the NZC Board), three Major Association (MA) Chairpersons (rotated each year from the six MA Chairpersons) and one person nominated by Sport New Zealand.

- NZC Board Member vacancies will be advertised publicly and anyone can apply.

- A skills matrix has been developed and will be applied to the selection of Directors and composition of the NZC Board - this can be updated in future in order to address the changing environment and requirements of the sport.

- NZC Board Members may be paid fees (currently they are not) upon an Appointments Panel recommendation, however this is dependent upon approval by NZC members at its Annual General Meeting.

- Greater consistency with the "model constitution" as developed by Sport New Zealand.

The process to transition the governance of NZC to the new Constitution has now begun. Today, the Appointments Panel has been constituted, and will be made up of:

- Stephen Boock - NZC President, Convenor

- Rex Smith - Auckland Cricket Chairman

- Lachlan Muldowney - Northern Districts Chairman

- Murray Hughes - Otago Cricket Chairman

- Sir John Wells - Sport New Zealand nomination.

The Appointments Panel will run the NZC Board Member selection process over the next 10 weeks and then make its recommendations to the 28 NZC members.

Last edited:

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
devils advocate

devcich isn't popular on cw because we have a bias towards the whites, we hate ND and we have a tendency to write players off very quickly. devcich burst onto the scene with no clue against any kind of bowling and his own bowling was part time standard. i remember watching him bat in a twenty over match at pukekura park where his play against spin lasted a few balls and consisted of several lbw shouts and an attempt at a sweep which went straight up in the air and was caught.

however despite having no consistent role in his side (often being asked to open the batting one week then play as a lower bowling allrounder the next before being dropped) his results began to improve, and when he gets going he scores very quickly and is very dificult to bowl to because he can score all around the ground, even if he tends to favour the covers and midwicket. he is no mug in the field and his bowling can tie the opposition down. his A team call up was a surprise initially but considering ND persisted with him longer than they would with many players maybe we shouldn't have been surprised.

he didn't deserve his call up, but he has conducted himself very well. without his maiden first class hundred we would have been in serious trouble even with anderson's heroics, and for a player known for his dashing strokes he played a very mature anchor innings while anderson blazed away at the other end before he lifted the tempo himself after anderson's dismissal. his maiden hundred was also a good knock considering he scored it in india when he used to be lolbad against spin and he scored it when we were under the gun. in the limited overs matches he has been one of the better performed batsmen in a line up which has been very shaky and his tweakers have been tidy and have kept a team of very good players of spin quiet.

i believe he has turned a corner and has much to contribute to the national side.
Just because I haven't been here for a while doesn't mean you can get away with this sort of disgusting pro-Devcich behaviour old friend...

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Can't quote and reply for some reason but welcome back Steve. And thrilled with the Devcich sentiment.

Flem274*

123/5
Just because I haven't been here for a while doesn't mean you can get away with this sort of disgusting pro-Devcich behaviour old friend...
We've just been getting brave enough to bad mouth Colin Munro without fearing for our lives from you too. (face)

Flem274*

123/5
I can't remember where it was Kippax replied to me about Canterbury's decline but here is as good a place as any to respond.

I do think they've come down more than a few rungs. They still do produce players who look like they may make something of themselves (Anderson, Latham, Henry etc) but compared to most of their history where they were net exporters of FC cricketers to other sides they now have two North Island opening options, two Australians, and a left arm spinner and wicketkeeper from Auckland. In the early 2000s their full strength side was:

Papps
Stead
Fleming
Astle
McMillan
Harris
Cairns
McCullum
Wiseman
Bond
Martin

Apart from McCullum that's a homegrown side, and some of their cast offs like Cumming were making names for themselves elsewhere. Now in 2013 their best side is:

Peter Fulton
George Worker
Rob Nicol
Dean Brownlie
Tom Latham
Andy Ellis
Brad Cachopa
Todd Astle
Matt Henry
Ryan McCone
Hamish Bennett

That side would get thrashed by their forebears and has four imports.

Looking at the contract lists now it appears Auckland are by far the biggest exporters and the likes of Central Districts, Northern Districts and Otago are running very aggressive campaigns to hold on to their own while carefully selecting players they want to attract from other provinces. There have been a couple of high profile losses over the years like Jesse Ryder and more recently Brent Arnel, but by and large they haven't lost too many.

Then there is Wellington, who will drop their knickers for anyone who offers.

Last edited:

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
We've just been getting brave enough to bad mouth Colin Munro without fearing for our lives from you too. (face)
Manu I can cop, even I have to acknowledge he's not perfect on a rare occasion. But Devcich, that's a red flag for me.

Thank goodness he's not from Otago - he'd have a Test cap by now, as evidenced by Hesson suggesting 4-5 Volts including Broomy would 'definitely' 'without any question' be signed to the IPL. Next he'll suggest that Steven from Dunedin is a certainty to get a go as part of the dancing cheersquad.

Flem274*

123/5
I just hope Devcich is opening the batting for Northern Districts this season, but he'll probably bat six instead in Anderson's absence and plunder what the Plunket Shield passes off as spinners.

Flem274*

123/5
Bored at uni on a Saturday evening doing assignments. Going to make a Country Bumpkins vs City Slickers state of origin, no foreigners eleven (unless they came through NZ age groups). Otago fall into the Country Bumpkins to make a 3-3 split.

City Slickers

Peter FULTON (c)
Martin GUPTILL
Carl CACHOPA
Anaru KITCHEN
Tom LATHAM (wk)
James FRANKLIN (6)
Corey ANDERSON (5)
Todd ASTLE (4)
Matt HENRY (1)
Mark GILLESPIE (3)
Mitchell McCLENAGHAN (2)

Country Bumpkins

Hamish RUTHERFORD
Daniel FLYNN
Kane WILLIAMSON (5)
Ross TAYLOR
Jesse RYDER
Brendon McCULLUM (c)
Bradley-John WATLING (wk)
Daniel VETTORI (4)
Tim SOUTHEE (1)
Adam MILNE(3)
Trent BOULT (2)

Country have this in the bag.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Bored at uni on a Saturday evening doing assignments. Going to make a Country Bumpkins vs City Slickers state of origin, no foreigners eleven (unless they came through NZ age groups).
Who would win conference cricket if they brought it back?

What about a Taylor vs. McCullum pick-up match, with first-class status? :p

Last edited: