• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand Domestic Season 2013/2014

Flem274*

123/5
so i just checked whats up in the current one dayer and devcich has another half century, well played.

now keep doing it and save a puppy.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
OK peeps to tie their colours to the mast and reply for the record whether they are pro or anti Devcich. Pro means you wouldn't mind him being picked for NZ tomorrow.

I am obviously anti and am quite stunned he has put together any performances of note for the A team and don't want to deal with the reality he may have improved from three years ago when I was first mortified by him.

Flem274*

123/5
anti

has been ok in limited overs off the top of my head, but really needs one or two defining seasons where he makes himself at home in the ND side. from watching him in the last couple of years he simply wasn't very good.

but he has a chance to make us consistently eat it this season.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Anti, go with someone who's proven he can make anchoring hundreds (admittedly on complete roads) in Papps. You've got your one chancer with limited light behind the eyes in Rutherford already imo.

To Devcich's credit his wagon wheels are excellent in terms of a nice balance of shots. However, we spent just over a year trying to make another very meretricious bat in Nicol a thing, trying to get him away with a big bruising debut against a minnow as well.

Flem274*

123/5
devils advocate

devcich isn't popular on cw because we have a bias towards the whites, we hate ND and we have a tendency to write players off very quickly. devcich burst onto the scene with no clue against any kind of bowling and his own bowling was part time standard. i remember watching him bat in a twenty over match at pukekura park where his play against spin lasted a few balls and consisted of several lbw shouts and an attempt at a sweep which went straight up in the air and was caught.

however despite having no consistent role in his side (often being asked to open the batting one week then play as a lower bowling allrounder the next before being dropped) his results began to improve, and when he gets going he scores very quickly and is very dificult to bowl to because he can score all around the ground, even if he tends to favour the covers and midwicket. he is no mug in the field and his bowling can tie the opposition down. his A team call up was a surprise initially but considering ND persisted with him longer than they would with many players maybe we shouldn't have been surprised.

he didn't deserve his call up, but he has conducted himself very well. without his maiden first class hundred we would have been in serious trouble even with anderson's heroics, and for a player known for his dashing strokes he played a very mature anchor innings while anderson blazed away at the other end before he lifted the tempo himself after anderson's dismissal. his maiden hundred was also a good knock considering he scored it in india when he used to be lolbad against spin and he scored it when we were under the gun. in the limited overs matches he has been one of the better performed batsmen in a line up which has been very shaky and his tweakers have been tidy and have kept a team of very good players of spin quiet.

i believe he has turned a corner and has much to contribute to the national side.

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Teams Anton Devcich played for
Main FC Northern Districts (2004/05-2012/13)
Main ListA Northern Districts (2005/06-2012/13)
Main Twenty20 Northern Districts (2005/06-2012/13)
Other FC New Zealand A (2013/14)
Other ListA New Zealand A (2013/14)
Other Twenty20 New Zealand XI (2012/13)
Under-19 ODI New Zealand Under-19s (2003/04)
Under-19 limited overs New Zealand Under-19s (2003/04)
Plunket Shield Northern Districts (2004/05-2012/13)
Miscellaneous Northern Districts Under-17s (2001/02-2002/03)
Northern Districts Under-19s (2003/04-2004/05)
New Zealand Under-19s (2003/04)
New Zealand Academy (2004/05)
Northern Districts A (2004/05-2012/13)
Hamilton (New Zealand) (2005/06-2012/13)
Northern Districts (2006/07-2012/13)
Leinster (2007)
Scotland Youth New Zealand Under-19s (2003/04)
where is all this he is new to cricket - he was in the under 19s and has been playing with ND since the age of 19 in 2004/2005.

Mike5181

International Captain
Unless he turns into Bradman and puts up some ridiculous numbers in first-class, I don't see any justifiable reason for selecting him in tests.

That being said, I wouldn't kill myself if he was selected in an ODI squad as an opener at some point in the future. He averages 34/35 in the format which is half decent. Rutherford, Latham etc had worse records when they were picked. The bowlers in Bangladesh and Sri Lanka aren't going to be massively different to what he's faced here either.

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
that wasnt the argument?
Sorry I was countering the general arguments that has been made about him before I will respond to your post now.

devcich isn't popular on cw because we have a bias towards the whites, we hate ND and we have a tendency to write players off very quickly.
yes to the last clause of the sentence. we do write off quickly and with good reason. I am still miffed that I let Munro's double century effect my initial call on him. I didn't waver much but I could have been harder on his test prospects.

however despite having no consistent role in his side (often being asked to open the batting one week then play as a lower bowling allrounder the next before being dropped) his results began to improve, and when he gets going he scores very quickly and is very dificult to bowl to because he can score all around the ground, even if he tends to favour the covers and midwicket. he is no mug in the field and his bowling can tie the opposition down. his A team call up was a surprise initially but considering ND persisted with him longer than they would with many players maybe we shouldn't have been surprised.
If you face Plunket shield bowlers year in year out you will improve - Yovich ended up as opener FFS and hopkins was for one season one of the dominant batsman in the country.

he didn't deserve his call up, but he has conducted himself very well. without his maiden first class hundred we would have been in serious trouble even with anderson's heroics, and for a player known for his dashing strokes he played a very mature anchor innings while anderson blazed away at the other end before he lifted the tempo himself after anderson's dismissal. his maiden hundred was also a good knock considering he scored it in india when he used to be lolbad against spin and he scored it when we were under the gun. in the limited overs matches he has been one of the better performed batsmen in a line up which has been very shaky and his tweakers have been tidy and have kept a team of very good players of spin quiet.

i believe he has turned a corner and has much to contribute to the national side.
I think you said everything you needed to when you said it was his maiden hundred after 38 innings.

James Franklin is considerably better than he is and he was not talented enough at International level to turn out consistent performances. And why not Cachopa he scored an 80 last dig and at least kicked some plunket ass last season. His bowling is probably as handy in internationals as devcichs would be. Both would be good only for 3-4 overs as the 7th bowler.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
IIRC from cricsim, Devcich is more than a bit of a ****, so there's that.

Despite (or because?) this he's gotten himself a few opportunities and has actually performed; that plus the diagnosis of both MULTI-SKILLS and X-FACTOR means he's all but guaranteed to play limited overs for us in the next couple of years. At this point I would be surprised not to see him in the ODI/T20 side for Bangladesh.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Cachopa averages like 24 in OD cricket.
7/20 games are from 2006 or earlier tbf. Chops averaging 33 since he became a slightly less terrified adult.

where is all this he is new to cricket - he was in the under 19s and has been playing with ND since the age of 19 in 2004/2005.
There are school rugby articles, but no, it's not like he flat-out didn't play cricket.

Northern win under-17 event for first time: [2 Edition]
Waikato Times [Hamilton, New Zealand] 18 Jan 2003: 14.

Northern Districts won the national under-17 cricket tournament in Napier.

The Owen Steverson-coached team last week won four out of five two-day matches, losing only to Auckland in the opening game.

Their efforts gave Northern Districts its first victory in the four years since the inception of the competition.

Hamilton Boys' High batsman Sam McLeod scored the only century of the tournament, 101 not out against Canterbury, and was also the leading scorer during the competition.

Three Hamilton players -- McLeod, Tarran Te Moni and Anton Devcich -- along with Keiran Read (Counties), were selected in the tournament team.

It was the first time that Northern Districts had won a national age group competition since 1989 when an under-20 team that included future international players Dion Nash, Mark Bailey and Matthew Hart was successful.

Fmd, nice last 10 seconds there. Might tweet that to @jeremy_coney, I'm sure he's looking forward to staying up all night in a London studio watching that this northern winter. :p

Last edited:

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
For a play and a miss, there is the commentator cliche that "he was lucky he didn't get a knick on that". For some of those Devcich misses he was lucky he didn't middle them, I have no idea where they would have gone or even what shots they were. Some others he missed by a mile.

I've gone from bemused at the anti-devcichism, to an anti convert. Now seriously concerned that his success on this tour will result on an ODI opening spot.

Jamie How got a double century!!! Papps got lots of centuries!
Kitchen, even Worker?.... Get fit Jesse?

Last edited:

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Just looked to see where Devcich was in the Ford Trophy averages last year.
He was 38th.
Interestingly, Raval was 37th. So for cost saving purposes we could have had decent FC opener on this tour and he wouldn't have sucked in the List A stuff compared to the others.

A lot of names from this tour way down there beside Devcich and Raval: Latham 40th, Cachopa 41st, Mitchell 43rd, Anderson 44th, Ronchi 46th. Ave range from Devcich at 29.12 to Ronchi at 25.80.

Only batsman on this tour with decent Ford Trophy numbers last season is Munro ....

Damned lies and statistics ....

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Jamie How got a double century!!! Papps got lots of centuries!
Kitchen, even Worker?.... Get fit Jesse?

CRICKET: With a little help from our friends (From The Wiltshire Gazette and Herald)

Burbage finished just nine points behind, Michael Papps hitting 340 more runs than any other player in the West of England Premier League this summer while Darran Freegard topped the wicket-taking stakes with 46.
West of England Premier Cricket League - Play-Cricket - Batting Statistics

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
"I get slapped with bad KPIs about as often as Devcich. Islandcricket.lk said I was born to play in Sri Lanka though...."

z

jcas0167

International Debutant
OK peeps to tie their colours to the mast and reply for the record whether they are pro or anti Devcich. Pro means you wouldn't mind him being picked for NZ tomorrow.

I am obviously anti and am quite stunned he has put together any performances of note for the A team and don't want to deal with the reality he may have improved from three years ago when I was first mortified by him.
Pro. He seems to have the natural ability and I don't think he would be too over-awed by playing at ODI or T20 level. Also, it would be highly amusing to see the comments on here. :ph34r:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Champions League T20 ‏@clt20 1h
Neeshan (104*) finishes the inning with 4 sixes and a four in the final over. #OV finish 258 for 5 in 20 overs. #CLT20
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More
Ok, make that three sixes in a row. Long-on, mid-wicket and long-on. Neeshan moves on to 93. #CLT20
Expand
Neeshan is going berserk. He's just hit 2 sixes in a row. Hes moved to 87 off 36 balls. #OV are 241 for 5 #CLT20
Expand
Neeshan is on fire. He strikes another six. OV are 212 now. #CLT20
Haha.