Cricket Player Manager
Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: IPL Spot Fixing Scandal

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by bagapath View Post
    The real Meiyappan, Gurunath's grand dad, was a true movie mogul, like a time Warner or Meyer. He owned huge studios in two cities, employed thousands of technicians, produced and directed hundreds of films, introduced some of the biggest stars of Indian films, worked with every superstar bar none and died mega rich and mighty respected. I live not too far from his last remaining shooting floors and I have met his father once and his uncle, the true heir of the old man's movie legacy, many times. Quite shocked about this development. Hope he is clean.
    He is not. He has been arrested for betting and cheating besides other acts after four hours of grilling.

He lost one rupees one crore (ten million) in the current edition of IPL alone. How much he actually bet and how much of it on CSK is anybody's guess.

The stuff that was coming out of police head quarters in Mumbai till the early hours was stunning. Virender Singh Randhawa aka Vindoo was Gurunath'contact man with bookies in India, Pakistan and Dubai. He even asked Vindoo to book rooms for bookies in five star hotels in cities during the games. This included the two really big bookies who just managed to escape just as the cops were busy arresting the three cricketers and the first batch of bookies. Vindoo himself dropped them at Mumbai airport from the hotel where he had booked them at Guru's orders.

Simon Champion!
    He hasn't been arrested for Fixing though. More for Betting, but still considering he was a insider, it's a issue.

Wonder if this gets rid of Srinivasan now ?

UDRS to be universally adopted by October

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    The biggest scandal in the game for as long as I can remember and yet this place has become silent as a tomb. Perhaps a tomb is appropriate . . . for the faithful may finally have taken time out for mourning . . . or is it a strategic time out ? By the way, does anyone have a "fresh" insight on why a twenty over game needs two time outs !!

Quote Originally Posted by SJS View Post
    The biggest scandal in the game for as long as I can remember
    How is this bigger than Asif/Amir?

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    very interesting and informative

Read his book too if you can.

Yeah, read it. Found it quite interesting, but felt like he only had enough content for 150 pages, and he wrote for 250.

Simon Champion!
    Rahul Kanwal ‏@rahulkanwal 11h

Spoke to N Srinivasan about arrest of son-in-law. 'Shut up, just shut up. I will fix the whole lot of you.'

BCCI plans to suspend Srinivasan | Business Line

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    dean jones to take over
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    Reports indicate that previous BCCI Chief Shashank Manohar (A Marathi) will be bought back.More ammo to the idea that this is a war between Srinivasan and Sharad Pawar.

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpio1990 View Post
    Reports indicate that previous BCCI Chief Shashank Manohar (A Marathi) will be bought back.More ammo to the idea that this is a war between Srinivasan and Sharad Pawar.
    Of course there are rivalries in BCCI. Everyone knows that. Lalit Modi too had his backers even after the s&@ hit the ceiling. But let's not even give the whiff of the suggestion that this entire scandal and expose by the cops in two states is somehow a drama staged by Srinivasan's opponents in the board. I am not saying you are suggesting that but this is how some can construe it.

There is muck, truckloads of it and it has tainted and sullied many white khaki dresses and safari suits in India. It is only natural that the political and/ or business interest rivals will try to take advantage but we, the cricket fans, need to be wary of both paries. We do not want Srinivasan and we do not want Sharad Pawar. Lets not differentiate between them or worry ourselves with their rivalries. Our concern has to be the good of the game and that is not served by these self serving politicians, businessmen and other hangers on around the corridors of power in the country.

This line of argument is just the stuff Lalit Modi used, and still does. These guys are no better. This is the defence every single corrupt Indian politician and senior official uses (it's the handiwork of my rivals to malign me) and we would be falling into their shady camps/corners if we started off on these lines.

I repeat, this is not to suggest you are providing an excuse for Srinivasan or his son-in-law but it can be construed as such.

PS to suggest that this is something to do with the communities they come from - Marathi versus Tamilian - sounds so bad I dread to comment on it
    Last edited by SJS; 25-05-2013 at 01:44 AM.

I am not suggesting or backing either party. Both have nothing good to add to Indian cricket. But at the same time, whether we like it or not regional groups(in this case Marathi and Tamil) have a role to play here. As for Sharad Pawar, he is a dangerous man and has been waiting ever since to take revenge on Srinivasan for apparent humiliation he had to suffer. He showed it when he broke away from Congress and has ever since kept near total control over Maharashtra especially Money cow- Mumbai.

PS I am not talking about the whole community.Only the elites.
    Last edited by scorpio1990; 25-05-2013 at 02:04 AM.

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    It is not a coincidence that it is the MUMBAI police who are involved here... I am not saying they are acting wrong or anything.. juz that if it were some other city's police, they wont have had the blessings from higher up to continue in this road, IMO. It is obvious that it s a well planned out activity by Pawar and Co to get back at Srini. It is amazing how good these groups get at planning when it is about political powerplays.. Dalmiya to Pawar to Modi to Pawar to Srini to Pawar again... It is amazing...
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

True. Got to give to these guys who're running the show from the background. Spinning a power struggle as a 'cricket khatre me hai!!' Issue and calling for srini mama's resignation and csk dismissal and thats it.

BTW, Why were Mumbai police recording Vindaloo/SIL talks on phone without warrant ? Atleast Delhi police accidentally stumbled..Whats Mumbai police's excuse

Celebrities not real owners of IPL teams: Dinesh Kalgi

In an interview to Gujarati news channel, Gujarat’s satta/betting/gambling king Dinesh Kalgi said that the real owners of celebrity “owned” IPL teams are underworld people who operate from abroad. Replying a question on Shahrukh Khan’s IPL team, he said such celebrities are selected to run the team by “real owners” who operate from out of the country.

Kalgi said, it is not any India based bookie’s job to do match fixing. He said it is the underworld that operates from Dubai, South Africa and Australia which is able to fix the cricket matches. He said while Cricket matches are fixed by underworld, football matches are fixed by mafias.
    Celebrities not real owners of IPL teams: Dinesh Kalgi | DeshGujarat

Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread Information