• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

IPL Spot Fixing Scandal

smash84

The Tiger King
Amir and Asif made world news. Look at the amount of posts about this on here compared to back in 2010 when no-ball gate happened. Look at the amount of news articles outside India about the IPL fix.

People aren't too surprised that the IPL may be corrupt. Its not bigger news than what happened at Lords in an international test match.
awta

centurymaker

International Captain
Amir and Asif made world news. Look at the amount of posts about this on here compared to back in 2010 when no-ball gate happened. Look at the amount of news articles outside India about the IPL fix.

People aren't too surprised that the IPL may be corrupt. Its not bigger news than what happened at Lords in an international test match.
I believe that was only because it was the first time we had heard about spot-fixing. There was a huge surprise element to it.

If Pak were to spot fix in a test tomorrow, who would be surprised then?

The reason there aren;t many posts here is that the members of this forum don't particularly follow IPL.

Edit-

It's England that mainly controls the media outside India and since there aren't any English players in the IPL, it doesn't care.

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Edit-

It's England that mainly controls the media outside India and since there aren't any English players in the IPL, it doesn't care.
This.

Add in the fact a test involving England is going on as this story breaks and it matters even less. No doubt there will be some gloating stories from some of our pressmen in the coming weeks though as more facts emerge.

smash84

The Tiger King
I believe that was only because it was the first time we had heard about spot-fixing. There was a huge surprise element to it.

If Pak were to spot fix in a test tomorrow, who would be surprised then?

The reason there aren;t many posts here is that the members of this forum don't particularly follow IPL.

Edit-

:laugh:....sad but true

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Srinivasan holding a press conference and saying Gurunath Meiyappan had nothing to do with CSK. :lol:

He is just a cricket enthusiast he says and is not willing to resign.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Kunal Pradhan ‏@_kunal_pradhan
@IndiaToday cover 'Lord of the Rot'. #Srinivasan #IPL #BCCIrot

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
"The five members are in a committee Arun Jaitley, Rajiv Shukla, Ravi Shastri, Sanjay Jagdale and Ajay Shirke."

jesus.

MyLord

School Boy/Girl Captain
Finally Indian cricket has given a "befitting" reply to Pakistan's Ijaz Butt. For a while there I was nervous about the growing "corrupt sports bureaucrat" gap between the the two.

Watch out ZCU, BCCI will outshine your glory days pretty soon.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Mumbai Indians
It is a very simple choice, SJS :) Obviously, Srini and gang have been at fault and should be thrown out. I am just tired of seeing that it is always one group of ****s thrown out to accomodate another.. I do not think Mumbai Police have anything else in mind other than trying to catch Srini and CSK off.. I don't think they are probing corruption in IPL, they are just TRYING to prove that CSK and their owners are corrupt. This is not even the tip of the iceberg.. This is just a co-ordinated action to get rid of certain guys that certain other guys don't like. Let us not confuse it with opportunities to clean up the system.. And as I keep saying, Mumbai police have not shown anything to make me believe they actually have enough proof about the fixing.. All they have so far is that Meiyappan has done some betting.. If that is the only thing that gets proven at the end of it all, and if reports of the deals having been brokered during Dalmiya's party are true, we are not gonna see anything change... And tbh, I am one of those guys who feel no action is better than wrong action and I have seen enough powerplays now with the BCCI to think that as bad as Srini and his brazenly arrogant regime has been, allowing Pawar one more run will only make this worse... I am sorry I am cynical but in this case unfortunately, cynical = practical.. It is depressingly true.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It is a very simple choice, SJS :) Obviously, Srini and gang have been at fault and should be thrown out. I am just tired of seeing that it is always one group of ****s thrown out to accomodate another.. I do not think Mumbai Police have anything else in mind other than trying to catch Srini and CSK off.. I don't think they are probing corruption in IPL, they are just TRYING to prove that CSK and their owners are corrupt. This is not even the tip of the iceberg.. This is just a co-ordinated action to get rid of certain guys that certain other guys don't like. Let us not confuse it with opportunities to clean up the system.. And as I keep saying, Mumbai police have not shown anything to make me believe they actually have enough proof about the fixing.. All they have so far is that Meiyappan has done some betting.. If that is the only thing that gets proven at the end of it all, and if reports of the deals having been brokered during Dalmiya's party are true, we are not gonna see anything change... And tbh, I am one of those guys who feel no action is better than wrong action and I have seen enough powerplays now with the BCCI to think that as bad as Srini and his brazenly arrogant regime has been, allowing Pawar one more run will only make this worse... I am sorry I am cynical but in this case unfortunately, cynical = practical.. It is depressingly true.
A friend who operates at he highest level of the game told me tonight that, in his opinion, the BCCI neither has the will or the way to stamp out corruption as its members are largely either:

a. ruthless businessmen who want to run it as their personal fiefdom; or

b. corrupt officials installed by ruthless businessmen who want to run it as their personal fiefdom.

He has just returned from the IPL and has experienced it first hand

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
A friend who operates at he highest level of the game told me tonight that, in his opinion, the BCCI neither has the will or the way to stamp out corruption as its members are largely either:

a. ruthless businessmen who want to run it as their personal fiefdom; or

b. corrupt officials installed by ruthless businessmen who want to run it as their personal fiefdom.

He has just returned from the IPL and has experienced it first hand
Spot on !

One could add to that list though . . .

c. Greedy, selfish former cricketers/commentators/cricketers-turned-commentators
who prefer to toe the line of the businessman (or Antonella who came before him or will come in the future) and try to use the influence the game has given them to spread propaganda amongst the gullible - in their millions

d. the electronic media which is so busy spreading their own place "as the first to bring you every major/minor detail of the scandal" that their over- hyped/ over-board rants end up weakening the public eventually both because rants are always less believable and because they rarely can be sustained

e. The sponsors who are the only ones genuinely and openly in it for the money alone and so wait and watch saying little or what sounds most appropriate to the largest number of their customers - the billion idiots . . .

f. The Billion Idiots - a gullible public enraged for a day, cynical the next, looking for justifications for the rot next, losing interest next and allowing the perpetrators to continue with "business as usual"

Everyone ends up happy and life moves on till the next fiasco . . .

The politicians, businessmen, match fixers, bookies etc go back to screwing the public. The crickets/ commentators to acting as the pimps of the first group. The officials and cops to serving their masters having collected the crumbs that fall their way. The media on to the next scandal since the billions attention span has started waning. The sponsors and advertisers to using the game to sell to the billion. And the billion (bar a minuscule minority) to shouting I told you so irrespective of what they had actually 'told'.

The minuscule minority goes back to tearing their hair out in frustration* . . .

*Look at my avatar and you will know how many times this has happened before

Last edited:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He confirmed a lot of things that many suspect, namely:

a. There is evidence that fixing isn't just confined to the guys in custody but questions remain as to how committed the authorities are to chase down every lead

b. Authorities have concrete evidence of another individual receiving lavish "gifts". However, as he resides in a country from where extradition to India is highly unlikely, the chances of him seeing the inside of a court are highly unlikely

c. The salary cap is a sham with additional "inducements" the norm rather than an exception

d. Conflict of interest, ethics etc are foreign terms to some of the owners, officials, etc

e. Sree is an idiot who is detested by many in high places

etc etc