Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: IPL Spot Fixing Scandal

International Debutant Dissector's Avatar
    The thing I never understsand about spot-fixing is what the attraction is for the gamblers. Generally it's interesting to gamble on a big result about which you have some emotional connection or some reasonable belief about the outcome. Betting on some minor event in a single over doesn't seem interesting at all and yet there have to be vast amounts of money for spot-fixing to make sense.

Anyway I started a thread some time back and I think the only long-term solution is to legalize gambling and regulate it. This is anyway a better policy in general and I think it will significantly reduce the chances of fixing since corporations are easier to monitor and have different incentives. Legalized gambling will mean the authorities will access to rich gambling data sets where unusual patterns will be easier to spot. It's no panacea but I think it will help bring the problem under control.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissector View Post
    The thing I never understsand about spot-fixing is what the attraction is for the gamblers.
    Not sure if serious...

Simon Champion!
    ESPNcricinfo ‏@ESPNcricinfo 6h

ICC withdraws umpire Asad Rauf from the Champions Trophy following media reports indicating that he is being investigated by Mumbai Police.

International Vice-Captain BeeGee's Avatar
    The thing I never understsand about spot-fixing is what the attraction is for the gamblers.
    Um, maybe the attraction is to win money?

Ever been to Vegas? Ever seen the thousands of people sitting in front of slot machines hoping for three cherries to come up? It's pathetic.

I only go to Vegas for the scantily clad women who give me free drinks, and the tackiness.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    A T20 match both teams wanted to lose - Yahoo! Cricket India

Fixing is so rife in the domestic T20 league that players on opposing sides in one match were on different bookies' payrolls, a high-level police source said on Wednesday. This led to a situation that would have been funny if it hadn't been so scandalous: batsmen on each side had cut deals with bookies to lose the game.

The side batting first notched up a meagre total that it fully expected would ensure defeat. But the team batting second outdid their rivals by making even fewer runs, and duly lost. Result: embarrassment in one dressing room, and one set of flabbergasted bookies.

"The losses for the bookies in league with the team batting first were huge, running into crores," said the source.

The fall from grace of S Sreesanth, Ajit Chandila and Ankeet Chavan has been dramatic, but if some police suspicions are well-founded, the trio could swiftly become an ignominious footnote to a much bigger story.

The police source said the range, sweep and depth of fixing in the ongoing T20 league were "mind-boggling".

For a start, the cops have realised that the bookies who had lured the three players are relatively small fry in the betting world.

The "big bookies, whom we are trying to ensnare, have possibly some of the big names of world cricket on their payrolls," he said.

"Though at the moment the focus of investigation is on these three Rajasthan Royal players, we are getting enough leads that point at other players and teams."

Apart from those involved in the match which the rival teams competed to lose, Delhi Police are also pursuing leads on three players from one more team.

Among those under the scanner are foreign players, especially from a country whose players are known for their explosive batting exploits.

Worse could be in store. Though the T-20 league has quickly degenerated into a battlefield for fixers, the 50-over game and Test cricket, the highest form of the game, are not beyond their sphere of influence.

"We have enough leads to suggest that the Champions Trophy tournament, which is scheduled for next month in England, is being targeted by the bookies," the source said.

Delhi Police commissioner Neeraj Kumar, a cricket fan, is said to be determined to get to the root of this problem before he retires in July.
    Last edited by scorpio1990; 24-05-2013 at 03:55 AM.

IPL spot-fixing live: Srinivasan to go if Meiyappan arrested, say sources - Firstpost

10.04 am: Vindoo was in touch with three CSK players

Three Chennai Super Kings players, one of them quite senior, were in touch with Vindoo Dara Singh during the ongoing T20 season, the actor, arrested in connection with the spot-fixing probe, has told investigators. “Yes, he has dropped some names, we are verifying the authenticity of his claims,” the joint commissioner of police (crime), Himanshu Roy told the Hindustan Times.

The police might question the players once they corroborate Vindoo’s claims, sources said.

9.15 am: Gurunath was betting heavily on IPL, say Mumbai police

CNN-IBN has quoted Mumbai police sources as saying that Chennai Super Kings CEO Gurunath Meiyappan was betting heavily on IPL matches since 2011, and had been placing bets between Rs 10 lakh to a crore on matches.

The Mumbai police had also reportedly said that Meiyappan had bet heavily on three CSK matches this season, and had also placed bets on other matches in the league.

Meiyappan has been issued a summons to present himself before the Mumbai crime division before 5pm on Friday. The summons came after a Mumbai police team went to Meiyappan’s Chennai residence to question him and were told that he was not at home.

Meiyappan is being probed for his close links with Vindoo Dara Singh who has been arrested in the IPL spot-fixing scam. Police have said that there were as many as 30 calls exchanged between the two in a few days.

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    Sunil Gavaskar to NDTV: "We need to remember that people are innocent till proven guilty. The T20 format is such that unorthodox things are tried. Sometimes they come off, sometimes they don't. I don't think there has been anything in the IPL that has raised my eyebrows"

gavaskar with his rubbish input as usual.
    Its no rubbish. Earning one's keep, as Gavaskar was doing, is very serious business.

From Firstpost :

CSK may be terminated if Guru is arrested, says rulebook: CNN IBN reports that Chennai Super Kings faces termination if its CEO Gurunath Meiyappan is arrested by the Mumbai police. The rulebook states that a franchise faces termination if an owner acts in any way that has an adverse effect on IPL. The BCCI is consulting the rule book on that. The rule book also states that a franchise can be terminated if it fails to meet pre-defined criteria.
    Immediately came the statement:

India Cements issues a statement clarifying that Gurunath Meiyappan is neither the owner, nor CEO/Team Principal of Chennai Super Kings. "Mr Gurunath is only one of the members (Honorary) of the Management Team of Chennai Super Kings. India Cements follows zero tolerance policy and if anyone is proved guilty, strict action will be taken immediately. India Cements assures full co-operation with BCCI and the Law Enforcement authorities," says the statement.
    ---------------------

Developments in the IPL spot-fixing scandal moved at a frantic pace on Friday, with sources telling CNN-IBN that BCCI chief N Srinivasan may step down if his son-in-law and Chennai Super Kings CEO Gurunath Meiyappan is arrested.

Meiyappan has been summoned for questioning by the Mumbai Police after arrested Bollywood actor Vindoo Dara Singh told the police that Meiyappan is involved in betting on IPL matches. The CSK Team Principal then asked police for time until Monday to appear for questioning; however, the police turned it down, sticking to the deadline of 5 pm on Friday for him to appear.

CNN-IBN has learned that Meiyappan will leave in a private flight from Madurai but won't be able to meet the 5 pm deadline, reaching Mumbai only by 7:30 pm. Sources add that Mumbai Police has strong evidence against Meiyappan, including audio CDs of his conversations with Vindoo and also CCTV footage of the meetings between the two.

Sources have also told CNN-IBN that if in the course of questioning Meiyappan it appears that there is some truth in Vindoo's claims and the police manage to establish complicity, the police may even go ahead and place Meiyappan under arrest.

Vindoo, sources said earlier, has revealed that Meiyappan started with bets of Rs. 10 lakh that went up to Rs. 1 crore per match. It has also been learned that Meiyappan has placed bets on three CSK matches this season and also placed bets on other games. Meiyappan's name surfaced while the police interrogated Vindoo, who had made several phone calls to him in the last few months.

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    The thing I never understsand about spot-fixing is what the attraction is for the gamblers. Generally it's interesting to gamble on a big result about which you have some emotional connection or some reasonable belief about the outcome. Betting on some minor event in a single over doesn't seem interesting at all and yet there have to be vast amounts of money for spot-fixing to make sense.

Anyway I started a thread some time back and I think the only long-term solution is to legalize gambling and regulate it. This is anyway a better policy in general and I think it will significantly reduce the chances of fixing since corporations are easier to monitor and have different incentives. Legalized gambling will mean the authorities will access to rich gambling data sets where unusual patterns will be easier to spot. It's no panacea but I think it will help bring the problem under control.
    While I agree with the second part of your post, your initial question is not such a difficult one to find an answer for. In any business involving big
    money, there is always a chance that people will try to get that money through immoral and often illegal means.. So even if betting were to be legalized in
    India, there is nothing that is going to stop betting agencies (they are just an extension of the present day "bookies") from trying to contact players and
    starting to "fix" their bets so that they get the most profit irrespective of what else happens. So it is easy enough to see why betting would lead into fixing..
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

look like things should boil down from here on, Sharad Pawar apart from the revenge for his team arrest had to uphold H&D for the Maratha power, the insult for SRT resignation from ODIs, his nephew's insult in the irrigation project,no action in fact grave insult on the compensation for Pune warriors, appointment of Laxman in ICI most of all kick on stomach by arresting hawala people, but now all phoojai(thai for elders) have realised that it has gone too far, but Mumbai police and DP police have made this a fight to restore their own H&D, this could prove to be an undoing and we might have some more twists, man!! where is the popcorn?!? what???! the microwave is out!!!! damn! me is away for some popcorn, till then folks.

Meanwhile:

NCP wants N Srinivasan to quit immediately

The NCP has issued a statement condemning N Srinivasan’s insistence on staying on as the cricket board chief and demanded that he step down immediately

“If he has an iota of honesty he should step down immediately,” the party has said, reported CNN-IBN.

And just in case you’re wondering why the NCP is so outraged, remember that party chief Sharad Pawar was edged out by Srinivasan and might just have decided its payback time.
    Sharad Pawar heads the regional heavyweight party NCP which heads the Maharashtra Gov.
    Last edited by scorpio1990; 24-05-2013 at 07:11 AM.

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    From my FB page . . . .

If you really love the game of cricket . . . Take a vow . . . NOW !

" I will not watch any more IPL cricket till BCCI is cleansed, Srinivasan goes, the politicians get out and the "pussyfooting" is put to an end"

If you are not willing to do that then stop complaining about corruption in cricket or in any other facet of our lives for you have agreed to support the rot by your acts of omission. You then are as more a part of the problem than its victim.

The time has come for you to decide. An empty Eden gardens on the day of the finals and TRP ratings of 0.00 is the only weapon you have to force a solution. Your individual decision to contribute to that target is all that should concern you. If you would rather watch the game to see a few mi****s going over shortened boundaries and wickets falling to deliveries that should never have done, the lump it and stop cribbing about the rot that has set in and clicking your tongue in regret.

Do not expect the electronic media to do your job or the former cricketers or the cops or the politicians. For them it is just a business, a way to make extra bucks, a job where they are restricted by the dictates of their political masters and an opportunity to make some big bucks from honorary posts and hob-nob with the celebrities at the same time respectively.

You the cricket fan are the only one who has no vested interest except a stake in the good game and a genuine emotional connect. Do it now or the chance may not come again.

Of course it is addressed to Indians by and large but I guess most if it applies to cricket lovers all over the world.

Hmmm. I feel pretty guilty now as I literally just bet some money on the Mumbai vs. Rajasthan match and am about to watch. I have literally done the exact opposite of what you want.

International Vice-Captain BeeGee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpio1990 View Post
    Meiyappan is being probed
    Hopefully with a red hot poker.

The real Meiyappan, Gurunath's grand dad, was a true movie mogul, like a time Warner or Meyer. He owned huge studios in two cities, employed thousands of technicians, produced and directed hundreds of films, introduced some of the biggest stars of Indian films, worked with every superstar bar none and died mega rich and mighty respected. I live not too far from his last remaining shooting floors and I have met his father once and his uncle, the true heir of the old man's movie legacy, many times. Quite shocked about this development. Hope he is clean.

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bagapath View Post
    The real Meiyappan, Gurunath's grand dad, was a true movie mogul, like a time Warner or Meyer. He owned huge studios in two cities, employed thousands of technicians, produced and directed hundreds of films, introduced some of the biggest stars of Indian films, worked with every superstar bar none and died mega rich and mighty respected. I live not too far from his last remaining shooting floors and I have met his father once and his uncle, the true heir of the old man's movie legacy, many times. Quite shocked about this development. Hope he is clean.
    Dude.. u live in Vadapalani. ??? I used to stay in Kodambakkam

Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread Information