• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in England series 2013

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Nah he took 5fer in his last Test, which makes up for the two below average performances in the preceding Tests. Honestly though, if you had to drop someone from the 4 that played the last Test I'd look at Timmy. Is he an untouchable now? With the whole Taylor-Hesson debacle and the talks of complacency in the senior players, one wonders if Southee is one of those at times.

But no, I'd go unchanged into the first Test. It's tempting to slot Bracewell in though, but it'd be rough on Wagner, who took twice as many wickets as Southee (+1 more), for him to be dropped.

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
Srsly?

Does kinda look like him...
Makes him the only Kiwi to join the SS.

Tbh its not like the tests are likely to be on the flattest pitches, Headingley's a result pitch and Lords tends to produce results more often than not. At Headingley it'd be tempting to go with the 4 seamers and just risk having to use Williamson can't see Bartin utilising an early season Headingley track all that much to be honest.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Nah he took 5fer in his last Test, which makes up for the two below average performances in the preceding Tests. Honestly though, if you had to drop someone from the 4 that played the last Test I'd look at Timmy. Is he an untouchable now? With the whole Taylor-Hesson debacle and the talks of complacency in the senior players, one wonders if Southee is one of those at times.

But no, I'd go unchanged into the first Test. It's tempting to slot Bracewell in though, but it'd be rough on Wagner, who took twice as many wickets as Southee (+1 more), for him to be dropped.
yeah but did you watch him bowl?

Let's not go completely Moneyball with the selections. Add in the fact that more swing is expected it's pretty difficult to see how any test bowler in NZ bar Trent Boult would be picked above Southee, IMO.

FBU

International Debutant
With the idea of playing 4 fast bowlers and Williamson, I get the feeling that the England batsmen don't like facing left-arm bowlers so playing Boult and Wagner would be good in one way but would create rough for Swann.

NZTailender

yeah but did you watch him bowl?

Let's not go completely Moneyball with the selections. Add in the fact that more swing is expected it's pretty difficult to see how any test bowler in NZ bar Trent Boult would be picked above Southee, IMO.
Yeah I did. Point I'm making is it's seemingly Wagner or Martin who are in line for the chop, when we shouldn't be treating Southee as someone who couldn't possibly be dropped. Like a bowling version of Williamson. I think the attack will be Southee-Boult-Wagner-Martin but when you have Bracewell firing (if we take the tour match as example) it's tempting to fit him in somehow, especially when Southee-Boult-Bracewell is an attack that was touted to be the future all that time ago in prediction threads.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
While I don't disagree, it's important to remember that Derby are currently sitting dead last in Div 1 CC, and were fielding a 2nd string bowling attack. We also beat Essex fairly handily on our last tour of England, and still wound up producing a string of dreadful performances in the test matches.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
For the Lions game I reckon we play our ideal top 7 then Bracewell, Southee, Wagner and Boult. Martin has bowled well this game so we'll be right if we don't include him but need him later on.
Sounding like they will actually do that -

Coach Mike Hesson says pacemen Trent Boult and Tim Southee, who sat out the tour opener in Derby, will also be in action against the Lions.
"We'll just check the injuries and see if we've got any little niggles," he said.
"But we'll probably play a shadow sort of a batting line-up and just play around with the bowlers a little bit."
Rory Gribbell
@GeorgeDobell1 do you have an intuition about who they'll take? Id have Wagner for his attitude, but bracewell arguably more talented...
George Dobell ‏
@RoryGribbell I don't. Both look good. Think bracewell a little quicker, but wagner gets more swing.
George Dobell ‏
@CricketClubLive Southee will play. He looked excellent in the nets.
Yeah I checked the scorecards after I'd posted and noticed the same thing. His economy was usually relatively high and he was generally bowling after either Wagner and Duffy or Soper and Duffy (2 young guys who also went for a few runs). So that, coupled with watching him bowl a bit for Otago this season, makes me think he was definitely bowling a fuller length than what PEWS suggested or, indeed, what you'd want out of a containing bowler.
From the vault's filter, Butler in the PS season - 250 full (ER 6.1), 947 length (2.0), 575 short (3.8).

Wagner 259 (5.1), 836 (2.1), 430 (3.1).

Jezroy

State Captain
Interesting to note that barring Ryder (and Vettori if he ever plays another test I guess), this must be one of our least injury/defection affected line ups for yonks.

Guptill/Latham/Bracewell/Gillespie as back ups to the XI from the last series.

Plus McClenaghan, Vettori, Ronchi, Elliot, NcCullum, Franklin, and Mills. Coming in for the ODIs.

Oh. And Ellis and Munro. Much rather see Butler in for Ellis.

Munro - He deserves another go I guess?

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Am hoping to pop down for at least a day of this, will report back with my assessment of the New Zealand team. Early signs have been good.

Jezroy

State Captain
Wagner now tipped to sit out the Lions game ftr.
Yep - looks like Guptill/Wags/Gillespie/Latham out for the warm up game.

Mind you, Hesson did say he was looking to "play with the bowlers" for the warm up game. If you know what I mean.

NZTailender

1. P Fulton
2. H Rutherford
3. K Williamson
4. R Taylor
5. D Brownlie
6. B McCullum
7. B Watling
8. B Martin
9. D Bracewell
10. T Southee
11. T Boult

?

Might just be the Test XI folks. Edit: nah you can't drop Wagner after taking 8fer in the warm up. Bracewell has to take a 10fer or they might look at dropping Martin. Actually, since Martin and Bracewell are still in and Wagner's out, maybe he's assured to play so they're checking out Martin & Bracewell for one spot...

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
I reckon they just want to give Southee/Boult a run before the first test and make sure the guy who might be sitting on the sideline until the second test gets a decent run in the warm ups.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
English writers talking up the fact Boult and Wagner would play right into Swann's hands rough-wise, but I'd also list Wagner at about $1.01 to play. Bartin delivering blockhole filth even worse than Eden Park over the next few nights I think is Dougeh's better chance.

Adam Mountford ‏@tmsproducer 15h
The commentary of the Lions v @BLACKCAPS will be available online WORLDWIDE and will also be carried by @radiosportnz in NZ #bbcsport

Ah okay, but if you don't want a private station's ad content -
BBC R5SX - BBC Radio 5 live sports extra London - Listen Online