• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official English County Cricket 2013**

The_roc

U19 Captain
Notts doing what they do best. Win the northern group at a canter and then lose in the quarters to a team from the south.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Didn't Jmay say the south group was the weakest group. 3 out of the 4 finalists come from that group.

Shame though Notts went out though, Essex are pretty average and finals day is that less appealing. Notts will be regretting bowling first. Pressure always on chasing second.
Like I said at the time, South group seemed strongest to me. With that being said, it was still surprising to see Essex trump Notts. Get the feeling something will have to happen to stop Hampshire retaining their crown, but with T20 you never know.

Topley around the wicket with the keeper up reminded me very much of what Wood and Bates used to do at Hampshire funnily enough. Has Wheater actually been making that many runs to justify him replacing Bates?

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Pothas certainly doesn't think so. Scored 0 in his last two innings, not that he's had many chances with the bat.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Yeah, I think it's a bit of a rough decision. I was at the ground though, and the tv coverage definitely didn't give it the full viewpoint. It was a full on confrontation between the two sides where nearly every play was involved, and I can see why they'd want to punish players triggering that sort of stuff with so many kids watching.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Quite right, anyone being rude to the Trego must be punished severely, posters on here take note.:twisted:

Pothas

Pothas certainly doesn't think so. Scored 0 in his last two innings, not that he's had many chances with the bat.
Yeah he has hardly had a hit in the twenty20 but then Bates never got one either.

I was always against the decision but I could see why they did it for the championship but never thought they would get rid of Bates in the twenty20. As it happens Wheater has been no better with the bat in four day cricket.

stumpski

International Captain
Yeah I just saw that, clearly the CDC heard from the umpires - the TV camera didn't pick up everything and of course we don't know what was said. It did look at the time as if Trego walked into the middle of a bunch of Surrey players celebrating his dismissal, presumably because inappropriate language had already been used. I don't recall the commentators on Sky at the time attributing all the blame to Batty, but then they knew no more than the viewers. It did look as if Batty offered an apology to Trego at the end of the match, but it was shrugged off. All a bit silly and reminiscent of the Ilott/Croft handbags in the Nat West semi in 1997.

stumpski

International Captain
Incidentally, I'm surprised the Commission has the power to delay the suspension so that Batty can play in Surrey's next fixture, a YB40 match against Derbyshire - but must miss both matches on Finals day (if Surrey win their semi-final). You can see why they've done that, I'm just wondering if they've acted beyond their powers. A two match ban should be exactly that surely - the next two matches.

fredfertang

Young Dolly seems just a little out of his depth in the professional game, but I've heard some very encouraging reports of young Cowdrey - I would advise him to change his name to Colin though - can't see the selectors picking a bloke called Fabian even if he was as good as Bradman, and quite rightly too - its a ****ing silly name

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Poor bloke Cowdrey looked absolutely terrible the one game he was on sky this season. Scored plenty of runs otherwise. Still should get on tv plenty more times during his career.

Bangladesh a losing again to the counties. 3 in a row to start the tour. Funny thing has been the dominance of the English spinners in these games. Dawson, Sheppard, Rafiq, Lilley, Croft all with good figures in the games against an experienced Bangladesh A team and the relative lack of success of the bangla spinners.

91Jmay

International Coach
Fabian Cowdrey looked like the worst player I've ever seen in the T20 mentioned earlier.

Bears/Holland playing on the roadiest of all roads by the looks of it at Edgbaston.