• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official English County Cricket 2013**

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Nice to see Sibley score some runs. Was the standout performer with Stone last winter for the England u19s. Also youngest ever centurion for Surrey.

stumpski

International Captain
Now Surrey's highest third-wicket partnership against Yorkshire - and that's a rivalry for the ages. Really don't want us to declare, at least not until we're down to the bowlers. There isn't going to be a result on this track without a ridiculous amount of contrivance, so they may as well minimise the time they spend in the field tomorrow.

Not going to get carried away about Sibley, Scott Newman made a similar score in his second or third game IIRC and it never really worked out for him.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Ali just the 1375 runs @ 62.50 and 28 wickets @ 33.71. Not bad.

Most runs by anyone and currently 5th most wickets by an English spinner.

Obviously second division but still impressive.

Last edited:

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Most of us are older than Durham CCC of course, back in the days of Graveney, Botham, Larkin etc. Bit of a shock to see them in with a chance against Sussex, were still 44 runs behind when the 6th wicket fell. But the two new-ish batsmen have both scored hundreds, which is great to see. Partnership over 200 and counting. Don't know if it's a record but won't be far off.

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain
Now Surrey's highest third-wicket partnership against Yorkshire - and that's a rivalry for the ages. Really don't want us to declare, at least not until we're down to the bowlers. There isn't going to be a result on this track without a ridiculous amount of contrivance, so they may as well minimise the time they spend in the field tomorrow.

Not going to get carried away about Sibley, Scott Newman made a similar score in his second or third game IIRC and it never really worked out for him.
Newman had a dreadful attitude - that's what let him down. From what I hear Sibley is a pretty focused and well balanced character.

Sibley is the first cricketer of my age group to dominate in a professional game. This makes me sad.
Get used to it:tongue:

Sibley now has the 3rd highest 1st class score for a player that I have umpired.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Ali just the 1375 runs @ 62.50 and 28 wickets @ 33.71. Not bad.

Most runs by anyone and currently 5th most wickets by an English spinner.

Obviously second division but still impressive.
Yeah he's probably first in line for the position Samit Patel held in England's thoughts should the need arise - batting allrounder who bowls spin - now. Not sure it'll ever really come up though as they do like Root's bowling anyway.

91Jmay

International Coach
Wow, what a way to announce yourself from Sibley. Great time to do it as well, has guaranteed himself winter cricket in some team or other.

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain
Which will soon be ruined by spending time with Jason Roy.
I'm pretty sure he has much better, and stronger, influences around him.

Wow, what a way to announce yourself from Sibley. Great time to do it as well, has guaranteed himself winter cricket in some team or other.
Unlikely. He'll be at school this winter.

He's a very correct, contained player and the next trick will be (probably working with the England set up) to get his game opened up a little.

Last edited:

Woodster

International Captain
With Moeen Ali running through Northants today, I wonder what is going round in Paul Grayson's head this evening knowing that a win for Essex would have secured promotion, instead they opted for selecting a weakened side and thus got thumped! A perplexing selection with the hopes for promotion still alive, despite being slim going into the final game. Admittedly Northants may have taken to the field today without the inevitable hangovers had Essex been in a more hopeful position, but nevertheless, funny things happen in cricket and as a side you have to be prepared for that happening and ensure your side is in the best possible shape to take advantage. Essex have dropped a major blunder here!

Chubb

International Regular
With Moeen Ali running through Northants today, I wonder what is going round in Paul Grayson's head this evening knowing that a win for Essex would have secured promotion, instead they opted for selecting a weakened side and thus got thumped! A perplexing selection with the hopes for promotion still alive, despite being slim going into the final game. Admittedly Northants may have taken to the field today without the inevitable hangovers had Essex been in a more hopeful position, but nevertheless, funny things happen in cricket and as a side you have to be prepared for that happening and ensure your side is in the best possible shape to take advantage. Essex have dropped a major blunder here!
Essex didn't deserve to get promoted. There is an alarming track record of failing to get the best out of talent like Chopra, Wheater, Wright and now Chambers looks like going the same way. All of them have succeeded away from Chelmsford, although to be fair Wheater was a good player for them. It's a waste and serious questions have to be asked about the set up there. I say this as someone who follows Essex before the other counties due to family connections.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Essex didn't deserve to get promoted. There is an alarming track record of failing to get the best out of talent like Chopra, Wheater, Wright and now Chambers looks like going the same way. All of them have succeeded away from Chelmsford, although to be fair Wheater was a good player for them. It's a waste and serious questions have to be asked about the set up there. I say this as someone who follows Essex before the other counties due to family connections.
Just speculating here, but it might just be an unusually high case of players being given extra impetus from being told they are "not good enough" by their county and released. I'd imagine it is a real kick-up-the-ass.