• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in India 2012/13

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Without any warnings - first ball of the game? What's a ind vs aus series without a bit of on field controversy? I'm all for it btw, but would be a **** show right about now if he had appealed.

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain
You're right. Apologies.

Must be a nightmare for local club umpires when many players will get their interpretation of the laws from television.
I've had the question raised in serious Club cricket:

"It happened in the Test Ump?"

"Doesn't happen in this League though!"

Is the usual reply.

Last edited:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Don't need to look at his figures. I looked at him bowl. Bowling short may work against the little Sri Lankans but against a proper team it would be absolute cannon fodder.
Johnson has 200 test wickets in 50 tests and not all were flukes

Little Sri Lanka have Sanga and Mahela, both of whom are better than anyone in India's lineup (apologies to Tendy2013)

Please dont reply as I have had my fill of dumb-arse answers for the week

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Little Sri Lanka have Sanga and Mahela, both of whom are better than anyone in India's lineup (apologies to Tendy2013)
So we're crowning him the best bowler of the summer based on one wicket then?

Because he didn't dismiss Jayawardene at all and only dismissed Sanga once - for 58, off a top edge.

40.3 139.4 kph, top class catch by Wade! That's Johnson's 200th Test wicket! Johnson bowls it back of a length on the body and Sanga gets a top edge on the pull, the ball sails over the wicketkeeper and Wade himself does the honours, sprints around 35-40 meters towards the boundary and times his jump well. Keeps his eyes on the ball all the time.

Slim pickings if that ball can get you the crown.

Of course, just analysing someone's wicket-taking balls is pretty faulty, but if we look at how he bowled in general we definitely won't come to the conclusion you did. That's all you've got.

social

So we're crowning him the best bowler of the summer based on one wicket then?

Because he didn't dismiss Jayawardene at all and only dismissed Sanga once - for 58, off a top edge.

40.3 139.4 kph, top class catch by Wade! That's Johnson's 200th Test wicket! Johnson bowls it back of a length on the body and Sanga gets a top edge on the pull, the ball sails over the wicketkeeper and Wade himself does the honours, sprints around 35-40 meters towards the boundary and times his jump well. Keeps his eyes on the ball all the time.

Slim pickings if that ball can get you the crown.

Of course, just analysing someone's wicket-taking balls is pretty faulty, but if we look at how he bowled in general we definitely won't come to the conclusion you did. That's all you've got.
So which Australian bowlers was better?

Definite "NO"

Pattinson
Hilfenhaus
Hastings
Lyon
Watson

Maybe Equal

Siddle - good figures against SL but really only bowled well in patches, not great against SA + no ODIs
Bird - 2 tests against SL where not appreciably better than Johnson + no ODIs

Arguably Better

Starc - good figures but bowled a lot of **** at the WACA

So that's it

You have one bowler that was arguably better

Given that, it's fair to say that Johnson was "arguably" the best bowler

BTW, forget about wickets for a second, Johnson completely destroyed the Lankans in the second test and finished off their test series in the process

92 not out, 6 wickets, run out, 2 guys (including Sanga) put in hospital, MOM

Everyone knows that I'm no lover of Johnson but downplaying his achievements last summer is completely unfair

tooextracool

International Coach
Johnson has 200 test wickets in 50 tests and not all were flukes

Please dont reply as I have had my fill of dumb-arse answers for the week
The irony is that his record is almost identical to Steve Harmison and I think that it is almost unanimous that Harmison should have been dumped well before he actually was. And quite frankly, with all due respect to Johnson, at least Harmison had some potential.

social

You're having a laugh aren't you?
Did you actually watch the matches?

No, I didnt think so

Bird took 11 @ 16

Johnson took 9 @ 19, put 2 in hospital plus averaged 100 with the bat

He also plays ODIs and is one of the best bowlers in the world in that format

Bird is lucky to play Ryobi Cup for Tasmania

As I have said many times, I do not want Johnson anywhere near the team and particularly against England

But those who think he always bowls rubbish simply do not know what they are talking about

social

The irony is that his record is almost identical to Steve Harmison and I think that it is almost unanimous that Harmison should have been dumped well before he actually was. And quite frankly, with all due respect to Johnson, at least Harmison had some potential.
Classic

Johnson is better in every single category that Harmison (wickets per match, average, economy, s/r) plus he can bat and field

You guys need to get a grip

akilana

International 12th Man
Johnson had more potential. On his day, he was more terrorizing than Harmi.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Did you actually watch the matches?

No, I didnt think so

Bird took 11 @ 16

Johnson took 9 @ 19, put 2 in hospital plus averaged 100 with the bat

He also plays ODIs and is one of the best bowlers in the world in that format

Bird is lucky to play Ryobi Cup for Tasmania

As I have said many times, I do not want Johnson anywhere near the team and particularly against England

But those who think he always bowls rubbish simply do not know what they are talking about
ODI performance and Johnson's batting have **** all to do with the fact that Bird was much better with the ball in the Tests than Johnson.

tooextracool

International Coach
Classic

Johnson is better in every single category that Harmison (wickets per match, average, economy, s/r) plus he can bat and field

You guys need to get a grip
Think you are clutching at straws if you are going to use an average that is better by a whopping margin of 1.5 and an ER that is actually worse than Harmison's to your advantage here. Not to mention that batting standards have more or less declined since Harmison's playing career and pitches have probably gotten more bowler friendly.

This argument of going back to a bowler who doesn't even know the meaning of what good bowling is is baffling to say the very least especially when you have some 5 other bowlers in their low-mid 20s barking up the tree with more potential, drive and likelihood of test success. Instead, for some reason there is an Australian obsession with the same radar-less, one trick pony who wrung out every bit of his novelty value to produce a semblance of success during a career spanning 6 years without actually ever, not once, showing the ability to improve.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
His FC record overall isn't that great - but this is the first time I've seen him bat - looks great here but I can easily see him suffering. We'll find out in SA - just based on this innings, he has probably booked a ticket there (how many Tests between now and then?)
That's brutal man. Fair enough advocating someone to play over someone else due to fc stats. But to passionately not want someone to play and be pissed off, like you were with rahane/dhawan, when you haven't seen them is rough.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
You're right. Apologies.

Must be a nightmare for local club umpires when many players will get their interpretation of the laws from television.
It is. I've had discussions multiple times in the past month as to why a bowler kicking the stumps over isn't a dead ball in our comp. And why I'm calling overhead 'wides' as no-balls.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Funny how all those playas were up in my grill for saying Siddle isn't in Australia's strongest XI. Not looking so cray cray now is it?
Yeah I'd say i have come around to this, and you were right. Then again, didn't you have Starc in your team? Bowling pretty bad this tour as well.