• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in New Zealand series 2013

Mike5181

International Captain
And then Richardson agreed that Pukekura park with its boundaries only slightly larger than the 30 yard circle would be an excellent place for test cricket. Hrmm.

My first preference for Auckland tests would be Victoria Park - walkable from Britomart and the city; looking at other good city venues around the world, access via public transport is essential. Second preference would be Western Springs, I guess. God I used to hate trying to get to Eden Park.
And I live right next to it. :ph34r:

Not sure what they would do about that bridge though.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Bit of a stalemate atm.
only 32 overs till the new ball.

Keep cranking through the overs,at this run rate ant they'll only be 150 odd by the time Southee and Boult have the new cherry in their hands.

Martin picking up a wicket would be huge, and Wagner fluking one would be icing on the cake, but really we don't need to pick up wickets until the new ball if they keep scoring at this run rate.

BeeGee

International Captain
Can't wait to see the Aussies tears when this crap hack of a player does well against their beloved Australia.
I'm not sure the Aussie team is as beloved as once they were. Quite a few Aussie fans seem pretty unhappy with the direction their team is going in.

Meridio

International Regular
It'd be interesting to compare the prices to other grounds in NZ.
I remember Eden Park being more expensive than the Basin, but similar to Westpac Stadium.

Anyway, wait until you come to a game in England; I've just paid £40 and £35 for tickets to the first and fourth days of the Lord's test in May, and that's a cheap game.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
$11 travel to get there and back, with the new train system made to rip people off at every opportunity.
$35 to get in for the day in the uncovered seats.
$16 for a **** burger, cup of chips and small drink.

NFI how much the beers are but it's Tui so it's not worth any price.

And you have the security looking for any reason to kick people out.

Western Springs would be a great alternative.
Personally I'm just under the impression that Eden Park hates cricket, especially tests, and wants to make everyone as unwelcome as possible.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Where is James Taylor these days btw? I was under the impression he was the most highly rated of England's young brigade.
I don't think he's ever been as highly regarded by England as he's been by the media or fans. He got a couple of tests against South Africa last year where he didn't go great, but it was a somewhat acceptable not great, if you know what I mean. He wasn't selected in India, because England drafted Compton in to bat top order and wanted Samit in the middle order because of his spin option and the fact that he'd shown himself to be decent in Asia. By that time Bairstow had got ahead of Taylor with his 90 and 50 against South Africa at Lords. Root and Morgan getting picked for the India tour ahead of Taylor was certainly a surprise though, and I think the majority would say it was harsh. Although Root hasn't done too badly for himself since, and I get the impression Morgan's selection was horses for courses in India.

He's probably a bit lower in the pecking order now, but a couple of injuries to middle order players in the summer, and I reckon he'll be next in line.

Last edited:

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I'm not sure the Aussie team is as beloved as once they were. Quite a few Aussie fans seem pretty unhappy with the direction their team is going in.
Still think it will be painful for them if Bell does well. At least judging by the comments in the Ashes thread.

Flem274*

123/5
Got talent but not the runs too justify a place I think was the case.
I don't think he's ever been as highly regarded by England as he's been by the media or fans. He got a couple of tests against South Africa last year where he didn't go great, but it was a somewhat acceptable not great, if you know what I mean. He wasn't selected in India, because England drafted Compton in to bat top order and wanted Samit in the middle order because of his spin option and the fact that he'd shown himself to be decent in Asia. By that time Bairstow had got ahead of Taylor with his 90 and 50 against South Africa at Lords. Root and Morgan getting picked for the India tour ahead of Taylor wasn't certainly a surprise though, and I think the majority would say it was harsh. Although Root hasn't done too badly for himself since, and I get the impression Morgan's selection was horses for courses in India.

He's probably a bit lower in the pecking order now, but a couple of injuries to middle order players in the summer, and I reckon he'll be next in line.
Thanks.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't think he's ever been as highly regarded by England as he's been by the media or fans. He got a couple of tests against South Africa last year where he didn't go great, but it was a somewhat acceptable not great, if you know what I mean. He wasn't selected in India, because England drafted Compton in to bat top order and wanted Samit in the middle order because of his spin option and the fact that he'd shown himself to be decent in Asia. By that time Bairstow had got ahead of Taylor with his 90 and 50 against South Africa at Lords. Root and Morgan getting picked for the India tour ahead of Taylor wasn't certainly a surprise though, and I think the majority would say it was harsh. Although Root hasn't done too badly for himself since, and I get the impression Morgan's selection was horses for courses in India.

Had a weird helmet as well lets not forget.

It would be really nice if we could get some runs, just a few you know.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Meanwhile, Martin is bowling very well and I can barely believe that England only have 88 runs from 50 overs. They had half that after 15 overs so that's 44 from the last 35 overs :blink:.

Meridio

International Regular
Well, that's pretty much a dream session for us. Three wickets, and England barely scoring at two per over.

Would imagine Southee & Boult will get a crack just after lunch, then plug away with Wagner and Martin until the second new ball.