• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in New Zealand series 2013

Flem274*

123/5
Yeah okay I'm going to quell all false hope now and go and do something useful rather than subjecting myself to this torture.

James

Cricket Web Owner
So any changes for the 2nd Test?

Sounds like Pietersen is in doubt, but apart from that same teams I would expect.

Days of Grace

International Captain
I would consider 4 quicks but I'd have a good look at the wicket first.

These roads are so frustrating. Ever since the 2002/03 Indian tour.

Habing said that, assuming that things had gone the same way, which is probably unlikely, a full five days would have made for a great match.

the big bambino

International Captain
Maybe Eng lost concentration in their 1st innings bcos they began it on day 2 in the belief that even then the game was going no where.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Although the weather didn't do them any favours, New Zealand must be hugely disappointed that they couldn't get a win here. The bowlers will be pretty exhausted going into the 2nd test too, which won't help.

God end of season NZ pitches are boring as bat ****, especially after a summer like this one. We need to start playing more tests in November and December

Tricia McMillan

U19 Captain
Well, glad I went to an NHL game instead of watching this.

I kind of lost optimism about being able to win it primarily after England's first wicket stand. Figured it was a long shot going into the last day of play.

Flem274*

123/5
Although the weather didn't do them any favours, New Zealand must be hugely disappointed that they couldn't get a win here. The bowlers will be pretty exhausted going into the 2nd test too, which won't help.

God end of season NZ pitches are boring as bat ****, especially after a summer like this one. We need to start playing more tests in November and December
It usually rains every few days in November and December, so we'd lose play regardless. This year it would have worked because it didn't, and the unusually flat pitches we're seeing this month are the result of the drought.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
It usually rains every few days in November and December, so we'd lose play regardless. This year it would have worked because it didn't, and the unusually flat pitches we're seeing this month are the result of the drought.
It's true that more play is lost due to rain, but the pitches are also a lot livelier, so matches don't tend to need as much time. The last time we had a test series in november and december was against Pakistan, and the only match that was drawn due to weather was at the MacLane Park Highway (and even then, only the final session of the match was lost to weather).

Thankfully the windies are touring next summer, so we should have a decent early summer test series to look forward to (although, having said that, the NZC will probably change the tour programme to 1 test and 5 t20's).

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
It's not like they can't get the moisture levels to whatever they want though, itbt. I'm yet to hear a NZ groundsman say in the press 'this is really drier and flatter than ideal, but I've been hamstrung by watering bans'. Kippax is going to assume the sheer popular vote wanting seamers under 140kph to be fodder (elevating say a Milne in worth) and McCullum going bang is still the main reason.

Phlegm will be surprised by how many guys are spliced and bounced out in Auckland at least, which is good.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
It's true that more play is lost due to rain, but the pitches are also a lot livelier, so matches don't tend to need as much time. The last time we had a test series in november and december was against Pakistan, and the only match that was drawn due to weather was at the MacLane Park Highway (and even then, only the final session of the match was lost to weather).

Thankfully the windies are touring next summer, so we should have a decent early summer test series to look forward to (although, having said that, the NZC will probably change the tour programme to 1 test and 5 t20's).
I guess you have some facts to back up your argument - but in my memory I can recall numerous posts on CW criticising NZC for organizing early season tours.

Tricia McMillan

U19 Captain

Where can I find our 2013-14 schedule?

Flem274*

123/5
Phlegm will be surprised by how many guys are spliced and bounced out in Auckland at least, which is good.
I hope so. If this is the case I wonder if we'll try for horses for courses and go in with four seamers and pick a Henry or a Small to bang it in on a good length. A shame the two Auckland heavy ball bowlers, McClenaghan and Bartlett, are injured. Bartlett in particular looks like he'd be dangerous on pitches with good bounce.